How long has it taken you to get where you are?

Options

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Six months to lose 20 pounds, but I don't care. Every time I have "dieted" in the past, I have failed. I am not dieting this time. I am becoming more aware of what I eat, how much I move, and trying to find a balance that works for me. I refuse to give up sweets and wine, but I have given up (almost completely) fast foods & fried foods. I am going to the gym 2x a week and exercising at home at least once more. I am getting more fruit & vegetables. My BP has improved, my skin is glowing (so I am repeatedly told), I feel better, and my clothes fit better. This is the longest I have stuck with anything of this sort, so I will continue, and eventually the weight will come off. So six months is a big deal to me, the weight be damned.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love reading and seeing all of the success stories but they don't alway say how long it has taken to lose their significant amount of weight. So, I would LOVE to hear how much you've lost, and how long its taken you. What has been your biggest hurdles? and how did you get over them? Congrats to everyone who's reaching their goals, and for all of us who have made the choice to get healthier......... can't wait until I'm able to post a before and after picture. lol Thank you everyone who shares their amazing pictures as well.

Great post!

I lost 21 lbs, and I started losing weight in the beginning of June, so about 5.5 months. I have been logging for 100 days in a row today. I had many hurdles at the beginning. My birthday was in August and for some stupid reason I went off track for TEN DAYS. By off track meaning I ate a whole cake by myself during that time, lots of drinking, fried seafood, cookouts, etc. I couldn't avoid what I was used to eating my whole life. It took a lot of time to slowly ween myself off of these foods (and even just eating less of it). Weekends are still difficult and sometimes I go over my calories, but at least now it's conscious and it's a decision. I figure it's a lifestyle change, and if I'm going to live with it, I need some pizza and beer/wine every now and then!

Getting over the hurdles: Not setting a time limit for myself, like "I need to lose XX lbs by this Month/day". That is setting myself up for failure, because sometimes when you do everything right, your body wants to hang on to everything for a while, and then randomly let the weight go. I got so frustrated with plateaus at the beginning, but I learned that my body will do what it wants. I just need to make the right choices and know that I'm doing right. And the other big factor to my success so far is MFP. Getting into the habit of logging every day was the #1 reason for my success, and my MFP friends are #2. The support is essential. I also am lucky to have a very supportive boyfriend, family, and friends.
  • MargaretWalks
    MargaretWalks Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started counting calories with CalorieKing early in Oct. 08. I weighed 261. I am now hovering between 188-190. Only one year did I lose "big"....43 pounds. The rest has come off 10-12 pounds in a year. Still exercising, still counting calories, still occasionally going over my limit (like yesterday), still not giving up.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I am not quite at goal yet ( 7 lbs to go) to make it official. I am approaching the 1 year mark in 10 days. I took the slow & steady route. I did not want to deprive or starve myself for a quick fix. I wanted to keep it off as I lose the weight. I am so proud to have lost more than 30 lbs. The formula was plain & simple which was counting calories & moving. It was not easy but it can be done. I started with 1200 calories & walking. I plateaued & started using the community forums which helped me evolve to eating no less than my BMR & no more than20% below my TDEE. I eat between 1400-1800 calories. I exercise daily at home ( variety of exercise DVDs, walking, treadmill, & stationary bike). What I truly discovered is no man is an island & you need support. I was on this site for 3 months & did not have MFP friends or engage in the forums. Someone reached out to me & gave me the encouragement. It helps when others understand your struggles. I now pay it forward & try to reach out to others & be very encouraging & supportive. My next step is to sculpt my body more. I will opt for a personal trainer & finally join a gym.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    7 months to lose 30 lbs. But after Hurricane Sandy, I've gained back 4.
    so 8 months to lose 26. It's not about losing the weight (although I love that I did!) it's about being healtier -- more active and eating better. There have been a lot of benefits from changing to a healthier lifestyle --- the weight loss is just the most visible.
    [My roseca is better, my cholesterol is down, my glucose is better, my butt is higher, I can run a 5k!, I no longer crave sweets -- this took 5-6 months to happen -- before that it was fierce.)
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    17 months to lose 180 but it was much faster early on and slowed down at the end.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    2 months to get my body to how it is now (skinny but with muscles)
    it takes a lifetime to maintain this body but it's SO worth it :)
  • Angela9559
    Angela9559 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    9 months to lose almost 50 pounds, 15 pounds to go
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    About 18 months so far. Still working on building muscle/reducing BF%. :smile:
  • Chellellelle
    Chellellelle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    My progress has been slow, but I've lost 15 pounds since January 1st, 2012.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    It has taken me 2 years....at one point I had gained back 25 pounds. I have now hit my goal...and I'm so happy with myself. I fianlly finished something I started!!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Highest weight in July 2011 was 216.
    Lost 10lbs, was 206 in January 2012.
    Kicked it into high gear in February, lost almost 50lbs then to now.

Back to being more lazy in losing weight, I like ice cream and candy a lot. 1/2 a lb a week loss on average and I'm happy with that.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for about 3 years. In November 2009, something just clicked and I realized I was letting my weight get completely out of control. I'd been semi ok with being heavy before this point - tried several weight loss methods, nothing stuck, had that "oh well, I'm heavy just like most of my family" mentality - but I'd gained about 20 pounds that year and it was really beginning to affect my self esteem. My company was offering Weight Watchers at Work sessions so I decided to take advantage and give it a serious attempt. Joined in January 2010 and had great success! They cancelled the "at work" program halfway through the year but I continued on my own and lost about 60 pounds by the end of 2010. Fell off the wagon for the holidays and tried restarting a few times but I was having a hard time staying motivated. Then thankfully one of my co-workers introduced me to MFP in March 2011 and I've been a member every since!

Although it's taken longer than I originally hoped to lose the weight (don't we all wish it would just drop off?!), I'm very happy and proud of my progress. Just the fact that I've stuck with it this long is a huge accomplishment and slow and steady loss is better than none at all! Not only that but I've learned tons along the way and continue to learn something new all the time.
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    I started in April of this year and have lost 34 lbs. I've learned a few lessons along the way but most importantly I have to keep reminding myself that I didn't add the extra weight in a couple of weeks so it's not going to fall off in a couple of weeks.

Best of luck to you and keep striving for the change!!

I stay in #BattleMode
  • CRichards22
    Options
    I had my second daughter last Nov. topped out the scales at 269.....EEEEKKKK!!!!! :sad:

Started eating healthy and got to 245 by Jan1 :smile: started using MFP and exercising regularly and now I'm down to 169! :drinker:

Her first birthday was yesterday, so I've lost 100 pounds in a year. :happy:

My ultimate goal is 140 but trying to work hard to reach at least 150 by my birthday in January and near my one year mark on MFP! :glasses:

Good luck with your new healthy lifestyle!!! MFP and fitness have made me a different person! :smile:
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    25 pounds, 4 inches in the waist, 8 months, stalled by one torn retina, 10 pounds to go.
  • jennatha
    Options
    it has taken me 11 months to lose 84 lbs. I exercise at least 4x a week and eat healthy. I always eat back as much of my burned calories as I want and I have a free day every week. I try to limit my processed foods as much as I can( which is hard for me becuse I am on a very low budget) I juice around 3 days a week for breakfast to get my veggies in. A switched everything to 100% whole wheat and limit that and I cut out all the sugary drinks and turned to water:) Good luck!
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I started getting serious about weight loss September 22, 2011. That was the day the doctor put me on medication for high blood pressure. I was only 37 and I thought that was way too young. So I got serious, joined a gym and hired a personal trainer. As of today I have lost 116 pounds. I am happy to say that my doctor took me off blood pressure medication a month ago. It hasn't always been easy. Alot of hard work, sweat and even a few tears, but it has totally been worth it. I have never felt better. I have about 50 more pounds to lose but I know I can do it. Good luck to you!
  • hellokitty41489
    Options
    I started December 28, 2011 and to date have lost 48.5 pounds. The last two months though I haven't been nearly as strict as I should have been (haven't gained anything but haven't lost much either maybe a pound total). I still have a bit to go but I'm never going to let myself get back to where I was!
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    25 pounds 4 months
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!