At what age would you allow your child to use facebook?

Options
loliblullama
loliblullama Posts: 140 Member
Just wondered following a recent discussion with my partner.

Replies

• natalienicole502
    natalienicole502 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Probably 8th/9th grade.... so 13-15?
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I started it when it first came about in college .... it just got weird after that.

So, I say college age - going vintage.

Related note: actually had to threaten my mom with deletion - that was weird. Her reaction to the below post from my sister warranted it:

"whales may be cool, but dolphins are *kitten*."

Mom: "What does that mean? Where did she learn that word? Why does your sister hate dolphins? Is she saying she doesn't want to exercise? Aren't you ashamed she would put that on there?" She's fkn bat *kitten*.
  • jb852013
    jb852013 Posts: 116
    Options
    At least 16. There can be some really inapropriate spam posts posted on friends pages that I would never want my kids to see or click on.
  • ericjcook
    Options
    As soon as he was able. I would also teach him reason and morals and then let him make his own mistakes. I have never treated my child as a child.
  • boecho
    boecho Posts: 74
    Options
    I allowed my son to have a facebook at 12.
  • deebrwn
    Options
    i got facebook around grade 7 or 8 but i was bad i didn't ask for permission :p
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Never. Facebook gets you pregnant.

True story.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    Never. The costs of Facebook way outweigh the benefits.
  • jb852013
    jb852013 Posts: 116
    Options
    Plus online bullying can become really bad really fast. I think it is way worse than other types of bullying.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

True story.

Nuh-uh.
    Facebook will give you Super Aids.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    When all their friends are doing it
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    14, which at least at that time was the Facebook rule. Seems to be a recent cultural thing that the rules apply to everyone else but I should be able to make my own decision. We try in small ways to remind my daughter that the rules apply to her.

Oh, and we friended her and she friended us. We don't interfere, it just gives them a little bit of self-governor. Teen impulsivity usually comes from not thinking of the consequences. Having us as friends tends to throttle that a little.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

True story.

Nuh-uh.
    Facebook will give you Super Aids.
    I got both from Facebook.

It made me a very sad panda.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I started it when it first came about in college .... it just got weird after that.

So, I say college age - going vintage.

Related note: actually had to threaten my mom with deletion - that was weird. Her reaction to the below post from my sister warranted it:

"whales may be cool, but dolphins are *kitten*."

Mom: "What does that mean? Where did she learn that word? Why does your sister hate dolphins? Is she saying she doesn't want to exercise? Aren't you ashamed she would put that on there?" She's fkn bat *kitten*.

I'M GONNA PEE!!!!! *LMFAO*
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My son is 6 and has an MFP account. His name is SandwichFartist if you'd like to add him....
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I intend to raise my children apart from the social media trap. I was raised without a cellphone, without the internet, without social media and I intend to raise my child the same way.

Around 16 or so they will be allowed to have internet access and all that. But until then I am going to do my best to teach my child to interact with human beings apart from electronics. I think that's the best gift I can give my child. especially in this day and age where children text each other but don't know what to do or say when they're face to face.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Mine was allowed a FB account at 15 and she had to friend me and give me her password.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I would say around the 13/14 mark.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    Everyone knows facebook isn't cool anymore so I would do my kid a service and just not allow it. ;)