At what age would you allow your child to use facebook?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I intend to raise my children apart from the social media trap. I was raised without a cellphone, without the internet, without social media and I intend to raise my child the same way.

Around 16 or so they will be allowed to have internet access and all that. But until then I am going to do my best to teach my child to interact with human beings apart from electronics. I think that's the best gift I can give my child. especially in this day and age where children text each other but don't know what to do or say when they're face to face.

I agree to an extent, but this is a different world from the one we grew up in. I think there can be a balance of both.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    This is solely dependent on the maturity level of the child. Some might be ready for the responsibility at 12 while others are not ready at 25.....
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Never. Facebook gets you pregnant.

True story.

Nuh-uh.
    Facebook will give you Super Aids.

Weird...it cured mine.
  • dayotte33
    dayotte33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    14 but I get the log in information. No questions asked.
  • spade117
    Options
    My son is 6 and has an MFP account. His name is SandwichFartist if you'd like to add him....

How is he doing on his journey?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I started it when it first came about in college .... it just got weird after that.

So, I say college age - going vintage.

Related note: actually had to threaten my mom with deletion - that was weird. Her reaction to the below post from my sister warranted it:

"whales may be cool, but dolphins are *kitten*."

Mom: "What does that mean? Where did she learn that word? Why does your sister hate dolphins? Is she saying she doesn't want to exercise? Aren't you ashamed she would put that on there?" She's fkn bat *kitten*.

I'M GONNA PEE!!!!! *LMFAO*

What in the jesus fish has been going on since I've been away these few few hours?
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'd say 16, IF they are a mature 16-year-old. My little sister is 12 and got one and my mom immediately had to make her delete it because it caused so much drama with her and her friends. Literally all they do is post pictures of themselves and brag about hanging out with each other. Ugh.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I hadn't thought about it. I suppose I would let them on relatively young IF and only if I am friends with them and have access to their log in so I know they aren't hiding posts from me.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    There's no age, it's just when they're ready. Also, I have discussed it with them and told them that they need to use fake names and they can tell their real friends what their fake facebook names are. This provides a little protection. Also, I must have password and full access and I will log in and monitor their activities. I will also be "friends" with them so I can see everything.

Obviously, this would only last until they got older. Again, I don't know what older is. Probably old enough to figure out how easy it is to create a new email address via Gmail, and then create another identity on FB. LOL.

If you are going to allow your kids to learn the internet, such as facebook, be prepared for them to start "learning" it. Once they learn things, like how to set up email accounts on their own. You'll never really know what they are doing. They will have a mom and dad email, and then they will have their real one that you will never ever know about. LOL. You have to understand this. People that think they know everythign about what their kids do on the computer makes me laugh.They are smarter than that. My son is only 10, and is only a small step away from getting into my computer registry and reprogramming things.
  • LuckyMe381
    LuckyMe381 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    mine is 9 but i monitor everything and my child only plays games on there and has family as friends.
  • spade117
    Options
    I'd say 16, IF they are a mature 16-year-old. My little sister is 12 and got one and my mom immediately had to make her delete it because it caused so much drama with her and her friends. Literally all they do is post pictures of themselves and brag about hanging out with each other. Ugh.

Isn't that what the majority of adults use it for also?
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Mine was allowed a FB account at 15 and she had to friend me and give me her password.

This right here!
  • dayotte33
    dayotte33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I intend to raise my children apart from the social media trap. I was raised without a cellphone, without the internet, without social media and I intend to raise my child the same way.

Around 16 or so they will be allowed to have internet access and all that. But until then I am going to do my best to teach my child to interact with human beings apart from electronics. I think that's the best gift I can give my child. especially in this day and age where children text each other but don't know what to do or say when they're face to face.

I agree to an extent, but this is a different world from the one we grew up in. I think there can be a balance of both.

I take it you don't have teens yet.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    My daughter has family all over the country so she had one at 10. She does not know the log in or the password, and family members are her only friends. I have complete control. She asks me to log her on maybe every 2 months.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I take it you don't have teens yet.

My daughter turned 18 six weeks ago. Nice try, though.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Being a mother of a now 19 yr old and working with teenage kids on a daily basis, I can tell you that kids will find ways of getting a FB account if one does not let them have one. Many parents will allow their kids one as long as the parent is also a friend on the page, well guess what they will add you but will have a second FB page where you are not a friend! kids are curious and find ways!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My son is 6 and has an MFP account. His name is SandwichFartist if you'd like to add him....

How is he doing on his journey?

Pretty good. Starting to lose that baby fat we all find so revolting...
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Being a mother of a now 19 yr old and working with teenage kids on a daily basis, I can tell you that kids will find ways of getting a FB account if one does not let them have one. Many parents will allow their kids one as long as the parent is also a friend on the page, well guess what they will add you but will have a second FB page where you are not a friend! kids are curious and find ways!

This scares the bajeezus outa me.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

I got my first cellphone at the age of 24. :) I'm very grateful that I grew up in a different world. These days I hear teenagers saying things like: My cellphone is my LIFE!!! And it disturbs me.

Facebook is dangerous. And until someone is mature enough to use it wisely, I don't think they should have it. 16 would be the point where I'd say; I don't think you're mature enough to handle this BUT I am going to let you have it and if you mess up your privileges will be revoked. Simple as that.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I created one for my kids, but I have complete access. This way I can keep my ex-husband and his family informed with things going on in the kids' lives, as well as share pictures. They are all out of state, as is my family, so this helps a lot.

They do post notes to the kids, and the kids ask me to post notes or specific pictures to others as well. But, I don't allow my kids to login on their own (they are 10 & 5). I'll handle the situation when it comes up, but for now I'd say 16 sounds like a reasonable age to let them have an account, but I would have the password at all times.