what do you do while working out?

Options

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What do I do when I'm working out?.............

Usually work out.

Yup. I do have music going of course. I read books and watch tv when I'm not working out.
  • fryingpanofdoom
    fryingpanofdoom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    lol sorry but all these blanket statements about "if you can do x while you workout then you aren't doing it right" are annoying. I read just fine on my kindle while on the elliptical and my heart rate is in high cardio range with a pretty decent speed and resistance. Sweating buckets, too. Music just doesn't cut it for the elliptical, bike, and stair machine (treadmill I only read if I'm walking - running I do with no entertainment). I need my eyes focused on something that engages my mind, otherwise I stare at the timer on the machine and drive myself insane.

I don't listen to music anymore while running because it drowned out the sound of my movements on the treadmill and I find it helpful to hear how I'm landing to estimate what needs adjusting.
  • MonicaLee92
    Options
    I like watching tv, listening to music, or if i'm with a friend I like to chit chat.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Fot me I love watching netflix on my iphone and read my kindle while working out. it passes time and I work out more! how about you guys?

IMHO if you can watch TV while working out you aren't doing it right.

Not true. I watch Netflix while on the elliptical. There isn't much to think about when using the machine. I don't understand why people say this.

yes true. What is your heart rate? If it's below 150 turn up the resistance or go faster.....If it's above 150 you wont feel like watching TV. Do Some HIIT.....In the load phases it's all you can do to get through it.

Between 150-160. Don't tell me I'm not working out because I've got a TV show on. That's BS.

If you say so. I'm sorry.....You are special and I was wrong, My comments only applied to most people.......not the special ones. . Most people don't focus on a show when pushing that hard.

Personally, I simply find the chatter of voices on TV or movies extremely annoying when I get to that point. My peak HR is usually in the mid to upper 160's and I just want to smash the TV screen with my fist and scream, "SHUT UP!!!" I'd much rather listen to some upbeat music. However, that's just my personal preference. What doesn't work for me, may work just fine for someone else.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Always have ear buds on. Sometimes music, sometimes not. This way no one talks to me. Focus.

I do this too.

Although I once had a woman that interrupted me and asked, "Do you wear those so people won't bother you?" My reply was, "Yeah, but it isn't nearly as effective as you'd think it would be."

=\
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I think about sex the entire time. This should not shock anyone.

you are my new best friend :D

but seriously..

i workout at home, and I have music on the stereo, but I don't really pay attention.

playlists? I'm afraid to share as you all might think I'm actually a 15 year old girl.
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    work out... maybe listen to music if I'm it makes sense to do so.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I work out with my hubby..so when we lift, I stare at his muscles :love:
    When we do cardio, I have music going
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    Fot me I love watching netflix on my iphone and read my kindle while working out. it passes time and I work out more! how about you guys?

Not true. I watch Netflix while on the elliptical. There isn't much to think about when using the machine. I don't understand why people say this.

yes true. What is your heart rate? If it's below 150 turn up the resistance or go faster.....If it's above 150 you wont feel like watching TV. Do Some HIIT.....In the load phases it's all you can do to get through it.

Between 150-160. Don't tell me I'm not working out because I've got a TV show on. That's BS.

If you say so. I'm sorry.....You are special and I was wrong, My comments only applied to most people.......not the special ones. . Most people don't focus on a show when pushing that hard.

I had no idea you know everyone so well. You should be sorry. It's not nice to make assumptions about people. I had no idea so many people couldn't exercise with the TV on!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Listening to my iPod if I'm running, cd's if I'm lifting, or I'm "doing" whatever dvd I'm in the mood for. I can't imagine being able to focus on a book or a tv show. That's why I don't walk for exercise, I get too distracted to keep up a good pace.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm a straight up work out kind of girl, I don't like any distractions from the task at hand. I'm there to give it my all :wink:
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Listen to music and sometimes I stare blankly at the TV that's playing at the gym.
  • aradiamegido
    Options
    Listen to music while doing weights and watch anime while doing cardio. ^_^

Same :)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I think about reaching my ultimate fitness goal and pushing through my workout. I listen to music and I'm a people watcher too.
    I fell off the treadmill a few weeks back oogling a hottie lifting weights lol talk about embrassing

Hahahahahaha! I've never ACTUALLY had a mishap doing that, but I've had a few close calls. LOL
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I am doing. If I am walking with my BFF we talk... if I am by myself podcasts... but I listen to podcasts all day everyday. Music gets boring.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I multitask enough at my 12 hours a day job. I'm all for focusing on my workout when I'm working out and nothing else.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

I had no idea you know everyone so well. You should be sorry. It's not nice to make assumptions about people. I had no idea so many people couldn't exercise with the TV on!

I apologized....What more do you want from me?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I think about sex the entire time. This should not shock anyone.

I have heard the right exercise bike at the right intensity can help you do more than just think about it :love:
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    Talk to the husband (we go run/walk together in the evenings) and try not to trip over the dog who becomes retarded as soon as a leash clicks onto her collar. Occasionally pants said husband to listen to him say "Knock it off, the neighbors are outside!" :P
  • flabbyjay
    flabbyjay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Cardio - I absolutely watch TV / Sportcenter and I need to in order to get through it.

Weights - Music need to focus 100%