I HATE RUNNING!

Options

Replies

• lizapettit
    lizapettit Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am going to send you a friend request... I too hated running just 2 months ago and still hate it sometimes. I am also slow and fat, but it is getting better every week. I started with interval run=great couch to 5k program! Now that I am just trying to run only, I'm using Zombies, Run!... it's awesome. You just gotta put some headphones in and start off slow. But, I'd love to be friends, I am more than willing to listen to your rants because I know how hard it is for us curvy girls to get going :)
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I always hated running too...but secretly wanted to be able to run like so many people I know. At first, I started running because of its high calorie burn. But after realizing how hard it is that wasn't enough to keep me going. I stopped running all together or would just run sporadically.

When I started going to a local boot camp there were some folks from there that ran on the off days. They run in groups...all different levels and at different speeds but they start and end together. I decided to try it. My biggest suggestion is to find someone at about the same fitness level you are at and make them your running buddy. It really does help to have someone to go with, talk to about issues, and complain to when you really don't feel like getting out there. Secondly, running on a treadmill is easier (in my opinion) but a WHOLE lot more boring. Try running outside!

I also suggest starting slow. You're not going to run a marathon overnight. Others have suggested the couch25k program. I used that program the first time I started and it works. When I started more recently I chose a specific distance or time limit (depending on the day). I would then run until I couldn't run anymore and then walk fast until I felt like I could run again...and repeated. Now remember that you have to push yourself a little but don't overdo it or you will continue to hate running.

So, those are my suggestions - enlist a buddy, run outside, and start slow. Once you start hitting your first milestones such as your first mile without walking, you will start to realize your potential. And all of those things you said you couldn't do, you start to be able to do. And with that...comes the motivation to continue!

A couple weekends ago I ran 13 miles! That is something that I thought would never even be possible! I remember thinking how can people run these distances and I can't even run a mile or two or three. Tip #1 - NEVER compare yourself to others. Everyone is different. Only compare yourself to yourself. Track your progress and compare your time, your distance, etc.

Good luck!!!!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running, hated the burning feeling in my lungs, hated being the slowest one in gym class, hated that I HAD to do it.

So I didn't, until I cut myself pretty badly on my hand (5 stitches) and couldn't lift heavy but didn't want to give up the gym time with my husband (then bf) so I started hopping on the treadmill and walking for 30 minutes. That got boring, so I tried running, not fast, just enough to have to put one foot in front of the other and I slowed back to a walk as soon as my lungs hurt and I thought I was going to die. But I walked the rest of the 30 minutes. The next day I tried to beat my running time by just a couple minutes. Soon I was running 17 minutes straight, then the full 30, then I transitioned to outside.

Last month I finished my second marathon, by the end of this month I'll have run 1500km in 12 months.

All that to say, you change your perspective on running by taking it in incremental steps. After all, what's that famous saying? how do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time!

stick with it, and if it's really hard just focus on the very best part of running...when you get to STOP! ;)
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    If you hate running then don't do it.

Find an exercise that you enjoy and will stick to. If you dislike doing something you're not going to do it.

I'm sorry, I completely disagree with this. If that were the case, then I never would have lost weight. I hated exercise at first! If after giving it a fair chance, you still feel the same way, then ok decide if you still want to continue. But give it a fair shot.

Deciding to lose weight and exercise is hard, and you may not like it a first, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Grab a pen, a blank piece of paper and your beverage of choice. Lock any kids, pets or pests in a cupboard (this should only take five minutes), then:

Write down randomly all the reasons you want to run. Whether it's to finish an event, lose weight, fit a dress, impress your friends... whatever the reasons.

Then: Cross off all the reasons that are "for someone else" - leaving only the reasons for why you are doing this for you. This is the real motivation, and the reasons that will get your *kitten* out the door and enjoying the process (even though it can be unpleasant).

Pin this paper to your fridge.

Then: let the pests out of the cupboard and get on with it. :drinker:
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5K is an app that you can download for free that teaches absolute beginners how to run. It's a nine week program that teaches you how to run 30 minutes straight by the end. Each week has 3 runs and the runs consist of a warm up/cool down of 5 minutes each. The remaining 20 minutes has you running 30 seconds and walking for 1 1/2 minutes repeatedly ( can vary depending on the program you download). Every week thereafter increases the running portion and decreasing the walk portion until you are able to run 30 minutes straight. If you have an iphone/itouch it's great because you can listen to your music and it will tell you when to start/stop running. This is a great program for a beginner as it will help you learn to run gradually and will prevent injury from trying to do to much too fast. I hope this helps.

I also agree with the C25K app. I used it and can now run a full 5k practice time of 34 minutes. I used to not be able to run for 1 minute. I actually have my first real 5k race on Thanksgiving morning next week, so I'm excited. I say try that and start off slow! Get a good pair of running shoes and comfortable clothing. Don't rush. Make sure not to skip your rest days, and find some fun music to run with! I find running fun and I am now doing the same company's 10k training app.

I also had a lot of success with this. I started out with 100 lbs to lose and asthma and had to repeat each week in the program several times before moving on, but eventually I got there! Each time I got to move on to another week and could run for longer I felt great. So much stronger and capable! Even though it was always very tough for me, I enjoyed it.

Running is great for burning fat but it you hate it, it will be hard to keep up. Cardio dvd or class instead? Team sports?
  • getsuna
    getsuna Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Run, forrest run!
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    I also hate running, but man do I ever f*cking love it too!
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Find an exercise that you enjoy and will stick to. If you dislike doing something you're not going to do it.

I'm sorry, I completely disagree with this. If that were the case, then I never would have lost weight. I hated exercise at first! If after giving it a fair chance, you still feel the same way, then ok decide if you still want to continue. But give it a fair shot.

Deciding to lose weight and exercise is hard, and you may not like it a first, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

I think the one issue is that running carries a higher risk of injury than a lot of other lower impact activities. This is amplified if you are overweight. Plans like C25K have mitigated this to some degree, but it remains that there are safer activities for weight loss if you hate running.
  • Psychedelicately
    Psychedelicately Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Running killlls my knees. I started out just speed walking and then speed walking on an incline and then slowly started incorporating running into my routine. I hated running but it feels so good when you reach the goals you set for yourself that it is worth it. It also gets really addicting after awhile!
  • dbaumgarn
    Options
    I suggest the couch to 5k program...google it...I use to hate running too...now...I LOVE IT!!! Hope one day you can love it too!! (I just started running June of 2011)
  • eJane13
    eJane13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I hate it toooo!

I got motivated by signing myself and a few friends up for the Color Run (5K). It's a blast (everyone wears white & by the end you're covered in colors!) & it's non competive. The months up to it I started out running around my block a few times every so often, than went to the park trails near my house.

Personally I think running outside is way more enjoyable than a treadmill. Just work up to it! : ) Start out by doing intervals of sprinting, walking, and jogging

Or get a few friends together for pickup games of soccer, softball, football, etc. Anything physical & fun that will put your focus on the game rather than running!

Good luck! =):smile:
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options

AMEN!!!!!!
  • amuseboucheUK
    amuseboucheUK Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I hadn't run anywhere for 30+ years until I decided last month that, at 46 and 118kg (260lb), I needed to do SOMETHING ... we borrowed a running machine (a good one that cost over £1000) and I was too heavy to use it ... I then discovered RUNKEEPER and am now doing the beginner 5K training plan (all free) with a view to doing on of the parkrun weekly timed 5K outings next month (www.parkrun.com) ...

I've lost 11kg and gone from 12 min / mile to 9.5 min / mile in just 4 weeks ... I even managed the first mile without stopping for a walk today ... http://runkeeper.com/user/amuseboucheUK/activity/131128533 ... it's a great tool for motivationg and you are able to compete against yourself...

I also take the time to look at the possible foraging opportunities (I like cooking and permaculture) and make a note of where mushrooms, nuts and wild fruit are avaliable as I jog on by ... having music playing helps too!

Feel free to FR me on Runkeeper :-)
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I started doing c25k in March of last year. I hated it. Since then, I've lost 61 lbs, done 2 5Ks, 2 4 mile bridge runs and a half marathon. I still hate running. Why do I keep doing it? Because it's a way of challenging myself. I stayed obese my whole adult life by avoiding doing things I hated (I pretty much hate all exercise except weight-lifting).

I definitely feel a sense of accomplishment when I'm done, but I dread doing it and I hate it WHILE I'm doing it. The Zombies, Run! app makes it tolerable though. I like it for when I run outside. When I run on the treadmill, watching Netflix or Hulu on my Nook distracts me from the hating. Honestly, I think hating it gives me a bigger sense of accomplishment about doing it. I feel like I've conquered something awful. :laugh: Oh and to keep me motivated to run, I'm usually signed up for a race that's a few months away.
  • dbaumgarn
    Options
    I always wanted to "be a runner", but alas hated running. Part of why I hated running is because I hated that out of breath kind of exertion.

In july 2011 at nearly 40 year of age, I determined that I was going to teach myself to run to that I could run an entire 5k. No walking. It took me 3 months to get there. THEN, I decided to test myself at a local 5k. . .having turned 40 before the race, I was in a new "age group". Somehow, miraculously, I came in 2nd in my ladies age group and got a beer glass. The hook was set. . . I've since run several 5Ks including a Warrior Dash and 2 half marathons. I'm preparing to run a 15k this Sunday.

All that to say. ...pick a goal. Strive for the goal. Be determined to hit that goal. Along the way, you might just find that you enjoy running. I LOVE to run now!!!

I also did my first Warrior Dash in 2012, and several 5k's...thinking about a 1/2 marathon in 2013....hmmmmm
  • TexanThom
    Options
    You don't have to run. See my ticker? Add 15lbs more to that, and I never run, just walk. Also, I'm 50 years old. Don't let anybody tell you that you can't lose weight by walking. Wait until you are in better shape, then start running.
  • vickilm1976
    vickilm1976 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I love couch to 5K. I'm on week 7 which is walk 5, run 25, walk 5. When I started I could barely run for the 60 or so seconds I had to, now it's still hard but I feel like a warrior after running 25 minutes in a row. I didn't hate running when I started, but I hated the way it made me feel like a faliure and a weakling.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You hate running because you think of it as exercise, you hate running because you do it because "it's good for you".

If you want to change your relationship with running change how you think about it it. Go to a park and watch children playing. What do they do naturally? They run and they laugh and they run some more.

Think of running as play not a workout. Think of it as time away from the shackles of daily life and enjoy it. Running is the simplest and purest activity in existence.....you put one foot in front of the other and repeat. Running is what allowed us to survive and thrive as a species and it's something that evolution really wants you to do.

Having said that you need to approach it rationally and sensibly. Don't try to go from zero to hero, think in terms of baby steps.......short slow runs with walking intervals in between. Over time the running intervals gradually get longer and longer, your fitness improves and your life changes.

Have fun. Go out and play!
    this
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a fan when I first started, so I quit then decided to give it another shot. Things I did differently.

1. Took a free good form running class from my local running shop - what a difference for me! Learning how to run properly increased the enjoyment I got out of it.
    2. Proper fitting shoes. Spend the few extra bucks and get good shoes that fit you properly, you are going to put a lot of miles on them.
    3. Set some personal goals - Part of the joy I get out of running is seeing the improvement. I know some of the improvement is coming from my weight loss and increased fitness, it's another NSV for me to be able to shed a few seconds off a particular route.
    4. Connect with a running group - A social running group can do wonders for how much you get out of a run.
    Do this it works.

Except for me on #4, I prefer to run alone for others belonging to a group can get you out more often. My schedule doesn't usually allow that so I run when I can.

#3 was huge for me. Even on the treadmill I can set measurable goals and they translate to real world improvements.