I HATE RUNNING!

Options

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5K is an app that you can download for free that teaches absolute beginners how to run. It's a nine week program that teaches you how to run 30 minutes straight by the end. Each week has 3 runs and the runs consist of a warm up/cool down of 5 minutes each. The remaining 20 minutes has you running 30 seconds and walking for 1 1/2 minutes repeatedly ( can vary depending on the program you download). Every week thereafter increases the running portion and decreasing the walk portion until you are able to run 30 minutes straight. If you have an iphone/itouch it's great because you can listen to your music and it will tell you when to start/stop running. This is a great program for a beginner as it will help you learn to run gradually and will prevent injury from trying to do to much too fast. I hope this helps.

This sounds like a really good program.

I hated running when I started it, over 30 years ago now. This was back in the day when they first came out with the Walkman and it was a cassette tape player. I was 19 years old and had just taken an aerobics class. I was shy and really wasn't into the social aspect of the class but I figured it was probably the music that made it fun. So I bought the Walkman and I pretty much needed it to help me get through the running. Pretty much if my battery died so did my run. But eventually my body got used to the running and I craved it. Then I was able to run without music (safer when you are outside) and I learned to just enjoy getting outside. Training for 5k and 10k races makes it fun and motivating as well, and it seems fairly easy to find and meet people to run with over time.

I don't think anyone likes running when they start. They pushed through and conditioned themselves and eventually they enjoy it.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    From my experience, if you hate running now, you will probably always hate it. I'm not going to sugar coat it. I hated running when I started but I thought that as I got better I'd like it more. I ran for about a year and a half. Did two 5Ks, a 7K, a 10K, a 12K and two half marathons in that time.

I hate it even more now than I did when I started. Sure, I got faster, by a lot actually. I got better at it overall. The races were exciting in their own way. But I just hate running. I enjoy the ARC Trainer, and the stair mill, even kettlebell, lifting weights and rowing machines. But running can suck it.

Unfortunately, I've ended up coaching running. When I was training for my second half one of the women on my team at work decided that she wanted to run a 5K and asked me to coach her through C25K, then in the middle of that, a friend asked me to do the same. The coworker just ran her 5K last Saturday, loved it and wants to keep running to keep getting faster. And I'm in the middle of week 6 with my friend.

Last night, while we ran, all I could think about was how boring it was and how much I hoped it would end quickly. But I have to be motivational vocally, so I'm constantly giving words of encouragement as I coach. But I'm definitely counting down the days to the last day of the coaching because I'm just so sick of running all the time.

Wow. That is maybe the first time I've ever heard of someone with your experience say they absolutley hate running. I have to ask the obvious though...why? Why did you keep going and why do you still? If something made me miserable, I just plain wouldn't do it.

I kept going because I'd paid for races through Labor Day weekend and had planned on quitting after that. But got sucked into the coaching gigs because the people really wanted to do it and I was the only person they knew that could help them. (We have other runner friends, but they love it and do much higher mileage for their own training)

Once I get through the rest of the C25K training with my friend though, I'm done. I always take a break from working out over the holidays anyway since there's always so much going on. So when I get back to working out in the new year, running will only be a once-ish a week, low-mileage kind of thing in a larger workout plan.
  • coachbrian92
    Options
    I used to hate running. You just have to start, once you start you will start to get in better condition and will like it more.
  • SassieChik03
    SassieChik03 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS!
    You hate running because you think of it as exercise, you hate running because you do it because "it's good for you".

If you want to change your relationship with running change how you think about it it. Go to a park and watch children playing. What do they do naturally? They run and they laugh and they run some more.

Think of running as play not a workout. Think of it as time away from the shackles of daily life and enjoy it. Running is the simplest and purest activity in existence.....you put one foot in front of the other and repeat. Running is what allowed us to survive and thrive as a species and it's something that evolution really wants you to do.

Having said that you need to approach it rationally and sensibly. Don't try to go from zero to hero, think in terms of baby steps.......short slow runs with walking intervals in between. Over time the running intervals gradually get longer and longer, your fitness improves and your life changes.

Have fun. Go out and play!
  • jreed1920
    Options
    I also dislike running but I love to eat and it burns a bunch of calories so I run. I tried Couch to 5K 4 times, each time I was having to repeat weeks and getting bored so I quit. I know a few others have mentioned it but I am using the Zombies, Run! 5K training app and I love it! I find myself wanting to go back out and run so I can hear what happens next. I actually completed my 1st 5K after Week 2 and haven't stopped. Something else that might help is scheduling a 5K race. It gives you a goal to work towards.
  • jenjarvi
    jenjarvi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I second everyone's recommendation of c25k.... BUT wait, there's more.....

ZOMBIES! RUN HAS 5K TRAINING APP NOW!!
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this was said already, and I don't have time to read all the posts. I apologize if this is repetitive...

If you hate running, then don't run. There are plenty of other exercises to do instead.
  • rapstertee
    Options
    I hate running too. Always have. And I'm not in bad shape. Tried it and just hated it.
    Recently, I've been diagnosed with Pigment Dispersion Syndrome - an eye condition which is made worse by vibration or blows to the head - so when my GP recommended that I DON'T go running, I was quite happy to have a legitimate excuse!!!

Anyway, I bought a ski machine or CrossTrainer for £50, and I jst get on that and bonce along gently for an hour, buring off 200 cals a session. It's still repetitious and hot but it's indoors, less impact and moves my arms and legs. Plus the digital readout encourages me as I can see the cals being burned. Why not try that?

Bottom line - don't run if you hate it. There are other things that will work.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Eww I dont want to run, and to lose weight, you certainly dont have to run. Bleh, bleh, garbage.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If you really hate doing something, don't do it. Find something else that you will enjoy doing.

Life is too short to do anything you don't enjoy doing, especially if you have the choice.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I was the same way! I think you should give it a try and make it a personal competition with yourself. Start with whatever you can do, whether it's 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 of a mile, go slowly, and use your phone to track your time, speed, etc. I got in to running by trying to beat myself and get better each time (if only by a few seconds). I was so excited the first time I ran/walked a 5k in under 35 minutes that I literally couldn't sleep that night!

If you find that you still hate it, do something else. Swim, bike, play soccer, whatever is fun for you!
  • Obeg
    Obeg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For YEARS I always said the same thing. I hate running. I would work out with weights, ride bike, whatever - but hated running. Now I run 20+ miles a week and will be running a half in Feb. Now I enjoy running. Difference? Because when I "hated" running it was because I couldn't run. At least not very far without a lung wanting to come up.

Tips for starting to like running-

- Unlike others here - I never had a "goal" at first. I never planned to run a 5k when I started running... because I hated running and there was no freaking way I was going to run 3.1 miles for the fun of it! Are you crazy? So moral of this tip - a "goal" of a 5k does not work for everyone...

- I started on a treadmill someone gave me in my garage. This worked for me for two reasons: 1) no one could see me about die after 400M :-) and 2) NETFLIX on my tablet! Really. If you have a tablet or a phone and NETFLIX - this is awesome . I started watching Sons of Anarchy - with about 5 seasons, each episode 45 minutes long - it was the best workout diversion. I would start on the TM, start SOA, and before I knew it 45 minutes was gone.

- Start slow. I walked most of my first miles. I would walk 800 M, run 400, walk a mile at some stupid incline, then run.. etc. Don't just plan to go run 2 miles the first time out. It ain't gonna happen and you are just going to get depressed trying.

- The first mile always SUCKS. Even for seasoned runners. Your body, HR, etc will feel it for the first mile and then it gets better. I promise.

- Once you can run a mile or so on the treadmill - take it outside. It really is more fun outside.

- Listen to music or if you have a smart phone - get an app called Zombies Run. It is a silly app from England where you are in a fictional town overrun by zombies. As you run you hear a story, you pick up items, and on occasion (about once every mile) a rabid horde of zombies will chase you! If they catch you, you lose what items you found. It is silly diversion but great fun. Each mission is about 2.5 miles long so it does not kill you. You don't even have to run. You can walk and then when the zombies chase you - all you have to do is walk a little faster or jog for 60 seconds to evade the horde. (Interval training)

- Get a HR monitor. It is automatic to think "no pain no gain" even when running and you think having your HR crazy fast is the way to go. Not so. You won't to keep your HR in the Aerobic zone which is in the 140s for most people. On occasion you DO want to run a day with higher HRs just to train up - but in general you will want to keep it in that zone. Running or walking with your HR in that zone will make it much more enjoyable.

This is from someone who last year at this time could not run a mile... and now can run 10 miles at a time, have run 5ks, 10k, trail races, and plan to run half. I hated it but now I admit I don't hate it. :)
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I hate running - BUT last weekend did a 5K - it was so much fun and addictive Im doing one on Thanksgiving - I ran it in a good time and was able to achieve this through the couch to 5K - and what I might now like it

Sign up for a race - it will motivate and spur you along you can run/walk it - and get a fun shirt :drinker:
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    So why do you run? Why not find something you love? For me, it's hiking up in the mountains. Got great lungs and legs of steel but don't run a step unless it's an emergency.
  • Fitmiss07
    Options
    Hey I actually just wrote an article about how to get started running if you're interested you should check it out, may have some helpful pointers for ya!
    http://www.nordictrackcoupon.com/articles/becoming-a-runner-how-to-get-started/

Have you tried an elliptical machine though?! I have found a lot of people like starting out with those as they are easier on the joints yet still give you a really good total body cardio workout!
    If you don't like running, try something else! Try a zumba class, or swimming, find something you do enjoy doing as you'll be more likely to stick to the workout and lose the weight! Just because many people run, and it is a great cardio workout, doesn't mean it's for everyone! It's better to find something you enjoy doing!
  • letobot
    letobot Posts: 205
    Options
    I hate running too...but love 5k races and i'm an avid soccer player....go figure
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have a history of weak joints, I had JRA in middle school and they almost replaced both of my hips at the age of 11. With that in mind on top of my carrying over 100lbs of extra fat I knew that I couldn't just start running. Running puts 3x the stress on your joints that walking does but it really doesn't have too many more benefits than walking. Fast walking is actually harder to do than running. Where running is a fluid motion fast walking is a very awkward motion and harder to achieve. So with fast walking I am really gaining all the health bonus of running without the added stress on my joints. Maybe when I reach my goal weight I will be able to run but until I lose more weight I play it safe by just doing fast walking. The last thing that I want to do is push myself to run, hurt my joints and end up injured so that I have to stop working out to heal.

If running hurts past the point of a little bit of muscle soreness it isn't what you should be doing right now. Walking is just as good :). I say a slow courtship with running is better than diving in face first. :p
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you are looking for an awesome full body workout belly dancing is amazing! ^_^
  • bucant
    bucant Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you haven't ran in a long time, then you shouldn't. It can be very bad for your knees, ankles, and other connected joints. Just think for a minute, your knees and joints are not used to the impact of running. So when you do start running the little tendons and connective tissue will quickly become damaged.
    I know this from firsthand experience. I was not active at all in high school and then joined the Army lol i developed excruciating knee and ankle pain after two years. Thanks to physical therapy I can again run pain free. Anyways I would highly recommend not running, but speed walking and lower body strengthening (low weight high reps, squats, calf raises, leg raises). Also make sure you use proper form (toes straight forward, do not lock the knees, and don’t let your knees sway side to side or extend past your toes), and STRETCH! Google "knee pain stretches” and do them with more commitment than anything else you do for fitness.
    Do those in conjunction with your other fitness program for about 4-6 weeks and then start jogging and see how you feel. I know you probably don't have knee, ankle, and lower back pain now. But please take my word for it. The old saying of "Just push through it" does not apply when it comes to developing musculoskeletal problems.

-Anthony
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I started with taking loooong walks. Like 3 hour walks daily. Then it began to shift into running and walking and now it is running. My walking is only with friends. I loooove running and I never thought I would say that ever. Good you are open to it! :).