Thanksgiving - What will you eat?

Options

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you eat for Thanksgiving, but our family always ate turkey, turnips, celery, spinach, and mashed potatoes. Sides of olives, bread stuffing, cranberry sauce, and carrot sticks. Only the stuffing and mashed potatoes are really calorie dense and you don't need a pile of them.

Pumpkin pie is incredibly calorie dense, but small quantities are still yummy and lard, which I make the crust from, is something our bodies digest well.

You can celebrate and feast. One of the things I like about watching my normal eating is that it makes those treats taste like TREATS and adds savor to them.

I LOVE food and it tastes even better in small quantities. The first bite is always the best.
  • hamstermann
    hamstermann Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ...I'm going to ... go on a hike with my cousins after... time to make some healthier traditions :)

Love this idea!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Pretty much this. I am not going to pig out like I normally do on Thanksgiving, it honestly just does not hold the same appeal for me anymore. That mind set is what got my where I am now. I am just going to eat a reasonable amount of the stuff I would eat on any other day. I don't eat meat, so the turkey is not a problem for me!
  • Yolanda4160
    Yolanda4160 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, but I also feel like (especially in my family) it's tradition to eat bad food for EVERY occasion: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Easter, 4th of July, Birthdays, and so on. It's kinda ridiculous actually. So this year, I'm going to eat light and go on a hike with my cousins after... time to make some healthier traditions :)

^^^^^my thoughts exactly :smile:
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I will

eat_all_the_foods.gif
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    I start with a 5 mile 'turkey trot' in my community and then eat until I am full, NOT stuffed. Leave that to the turkey!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I can essentially guarantee I will devour a minimum of 16 oz of cheese and 1 bottle of wine... after that all bets are off.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big over eater at Thanksgiving... traditional TG foods just don't excite me too much. I'm sure I'll have some turkey breast and cranberry sauce. Maybe a few green beans... they usually serve pumpkin pie which I don't like, so no worries about over indulging on dessert!
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I will take the advice of my endocronologist...Eat everything you want, do not check your blood sugar, take all your meds as directed..wake up Friday morning as if Thursday never happened....

This is a great answer.
    I plan on having everything, just not as much and not slathered in butter or gravy.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I bought the WW measuring scoops a long time ago for Thanksgiving. I can easily scoop out my 1/2 cup of stuffing and mashed potatoes, and my 1/4 c gravy. I weight my turkey, and eat any veggies I want. I will weigh and meausre, but I have a plan at that is the most important thing!
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i wont be eating thanksgiving foods unless its a turkey sandwich a couple days after.. ill just be eating what i normally eat and hanging out with the friends and family
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    For Me, certain Holidays are "Free Eating Days". I don't fool Myself and believe it or not "Normal" eaters enjoy eating whatever on special days. I believe it matters most what you eat and do on NON-Holidays. Also, Truthfully, because My eating habits have changed I just do not care to pig-out like I used to. What will get most of My attention will be "The Bird," cornbread dressing, gravy, and collard greens (double serving)...NOT Bad! I will have a nice slice of sweet potato pie with vanilla ice-cream. That's a Wrap for Me!

3 years ago I would have eaten all of the above in double servings AND mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, extra ham, rolls and more cake. And at night a BIG sandwich made from leftovers and a big piece of cake. NOW, just writing this is making Me Nauseated! I can't even tolerate that amount of food anymore, it's sickening.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Everything :) I do plan on saving up all my cals for a big Thanksgiving dinner/eating marathon though haha.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    thanksgiving food makes my stomach cramp anyway.. ouch
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    1dUq2.gif

Including gravy. All of the gravy.
  • slenderbecky
    Options
    I'm vegan and that doesn't change over the holidays, but I still indulge:

Main Dish - either a festive chickpea tart or a Field Roast

Sides - vegan stuffing, sweet potato casserole, homemade warm cranberry-pear sauce, creamy kale salad, mashed potatoes with vegan gravy

Dessert - My homemade vegan pumpkin pie with coconut whipped cream!

I won't be tracking my food on Thanksgiving, just trying to respect my body by not overdoing it to the point of feeling uncomfortable.
  • millions0fpeaches
    millions0fpeaches Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Well, it's just me this year... So I suspect I'll be grilling up a ribeye, smashing some 'tatoes, and drinking a bottle of wine while having a movie marathon in my footie pajamas.

Best. Day. Ever.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I am going to first fill one plate with turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn (I will also make several jokes about the corn while eating it), and whatever else I see that I want to eat.

But I'll only fill ONE plate.

Then, when the plate is clean, I'll grab a new plate and fill it again.

I will repeat this process until one of the following things happens:

a) I am in mild pain.
    b) The pie is cut and ready to be served.

If a) happens before b), I will pause until b).

And then I will eat pie.

I will not feel any guilt or remorse after this.
    I will also brag about it on my wall, after not logging a damn thing.
    This right here is why I'm one of your many, many cheerleaders.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Whatever I want "with in reason"......the most valuable lesson I've learned in my journey is that when I watch what I eat and exercise I CAN have goodies once in awhile. Imprisoned by "food issues" for most of my life I feel totally FREE at last that all my ducks are in a row and I am living life the way I want to live for the rest of my years. I'm not dieting and never think of it as a diet--I have totally adapted to a "new lifestyle" that I am contented to continue forever.:smile::heart:
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I will

eat_all_the_foods.gif

Yep! Me too!