Experience with the "whoosh"?

Options

Replies

• civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    With approx. 1/3 of cancer incidences, as well as heart disease, diabetes, and the slew of other ailments that have been PROVEN to be preventable through proper nutrition you'd think more emphasis woul be placed on it.
    You were doing pretty good in this thread, until you got to this bogus claim.

Nutrition, like all the sciences, remains falsifiable - otherwise we are not discussing science any longer, but dogma.

Nothing is "proven," (if you want proof - switch to mathematics) just shown to be more likely and or less likely.

While nutrition is important, it is bogus to claim that nutrition alone can treat a 1/3 of "cancer incidences"

This is demonstrably dangerous woo.

NOTE: Misstated the claim. Stating prevention is a stronger claim and is still BS
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    He didn't say "treat" he said "prevent." The claim may be just as bogus, but it's a different claim than you purport to address.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    He didn't say "treat" he said "prevent." The claim may be just as bogus, but it's a different claim than you purport to address.
    Thank you for the clarification.

Yes, it was stated that nutrition can "prevent" a "1/3 of "cancer incidences" which is an even stronger claim.

It's still woo and BS.
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bump for when I get discouraged!
  • Dancergirl1977
    Options
    This is how I have lost weight for years now and I have never been quite able to scientifically figure it out. I will diet for awhile and nothing happens. Then one day I wake up and 5 pounds is gone, and it stays gone. When I quit drinking nearly 1,000 calories a night nothing happened for a good 6 weeks, then suddenly I'm down 5 ponds then 10 pounds etc...and it stays gone. My stomach often gets very squishy and bloated before the drop and I do urinate a lot before the drop. I just want to be clear this is actual weight that stays off. Doesn't make sense but this is how it works for me. Keep losing folks!
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Bump, because I've experienced this a few times in the last 3 months!
    Likewise, my brain attempts to argue with the phenomenon, but that's exactly what happens.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Bump, because I have always experienced this. I'm on a mini-cut and know I'm at a deficit. I've been tracking, and maintaining for over a year, so I'm pretty confident with my numbers. I'm also pretty lean (<19% BF, and I'm female). From everything I've read, this is a common phenomenon for women bodybuilding competitors when trying to get super lean. There are several theories and most have to do with the stresses caused by dieting.

Leangains does site "The Biology of Human Starvation", experiments done during World War 2. Here's what Martin writes,

"At the start of the study, the men were losing weight linearly, dropping about 2 lbs per week. However, after some time the weight loss became erratic and unpredictable. No longer was it linear, but rather it occurred in "bursts" with long periods of plateaus. The researchers overseeing the experiment noted that water retention was noticeable in most men and in some cases quite severe.

Half-way through the study the men were allowed a relief dinner to celebrate their progress. One big meal of 2300 kcal was served; roasted chicken, potatoes, gravy and strawberry shortcake. That night everyone got up more often than usual to urinate. The next day they discovered that they had each lost several pounds.

This was not a one-time occurrence. When the experiment was over and the refeeding phase began, the men continued to drop weight at an accelerated rate until calories were increased substantially."

But my weight loss is never linear. That doesn't mean everyone's weight loss will occur this way, but I think it's a helpful reminder not to freak out. Hopefully, I'll "whoosh" soon. I'll try to update when/if I do.
  • Murph1908
    Murph1908 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Since I cut my goal to 1 pound a week, I am in a woosh cycle for sure.

I go 3 weeks where I remain steady or even go up a pound or two. Then suddenly 3 or 4 pounds will drop in a day or two. Then it's back on the flatline for 3 weeks.

When I look back at my weight report, I am seeing a drop of 1 to 1.5 per week over time. It just happens in 3 pound rushes followed by 3 week plateaus.

I hit 61 lost on September 6. I finally hit 61.5 lost this morning, and I expect to see 62 or 63 (or dare I say 64) tomorrow morning.

An interesting fact that might make this post more than a 'me too' reply...my body fat % shows a more linear drop. It has steadily gone down, and doesn't show the plateau/woosh cycle.
  • btwinkyb
    btwinkyb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump for encouragement later! :)
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I totally believe in this whoosh thing. I've been losing weight very non-linearly. Just these last couple of weeks, I had two weeks of no loss, then last week I lost 5.6 lbs. I eat at a 2 lb a week deficit. Last week I was peeing all week, too.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    bump and save for later reading
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    bump to read later:smile:
  • Kargicq
    Kargicq Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bump, just to add a "me too." I am pretty consistent in net calories; my weight goes zig-zag/zig-zag/woosh on a two-three week cycle. Reassuringly, the average drop over time is almost exactly the goal I've set on MFP. Hang on in there, and Trust The Numbers.
  • Grankakes
    Grankakes Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    gotta bump this so I can keep reading. very interesting! but it might explain my nothing loss for the last 2 weeks - if my scale cooperates when I weigh in the morning!
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I can confirm I experience these. You really don't need a credible source to believe it. Many many people have them. And out experience is about the same slow/no weight loss for a while and then bang weight falls of us like crazy.

Oh and when a whoosh is happening i will piss like a racehorse.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that some people think it is BS. It's obviously happening to many people, including me – it's totally my body's MO, for whatever reason. I don't really even care too much about why it happens, rather I am glad that it does happen and that I know what to expect. It's much easier to deal with a perceived plateau if you have an idea of what's going on with your body.

I just experienced it in the last two days. I've been peeing like CRAZY, and have lost 7 pounds. TWO DAYS! This came after almost a month of stagnating. *shrugs*
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hoping I whoosh because it's been 2 weeks with no loss...yet definitely eating under maintenance!
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Murph1908 wrote: »
    An interesting fact that might make this post more than a 'me too' reply...my body fat % shows a more linear drop. It has steadily gone down, and doesn't show the plateau/woosh cycle.

Yes this for me too, I get the whooshes from time to time but the fat loss fairly linear... I totally get the cold dimply skin as well...!
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've had it a couple times. The biggest one was a a couple months ago despite eating at a 1000 cal deficit I lost like 1 lb in a month. Then one day my skin felt incredibly soft, and the day after I was peeing like every hour. Over the course of 3 days I lost 7 lbs.
  • gen39
    gen39 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Did some googling and ended up here. This is exactly how I've lost almost all my weight (215 to 165 lb in 5 months).

I would weigh myself daily, and there'd be no changes for a week (sometimes two weeks) at a time. Then one day I'd do my morning weigh-in and suddenly I'm 1.5-2 lb lighter. The most drastic one has been a 3.5 lb drop in one day (168.5 to 165 lb), which happened a few days ago. I thought it was a temporary water weight loss or daily weight variation but my weight has stayed the same since then. I'm eating at a 700 calorie deficit so I don't know how I possibly lost 3.5 lb in a single week... in other words, the human body is weird.