Rethink your Thanksgiving dinner in miles to walk off

Options
13»

Replies

• sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    This is what mine said:

"Three cups salad with diet dressing, Half a cup of stuffing, Half a cup of mashed potatoes, Half a cup of gravy, Half a cup of green bean casserole, Half a cup of candied sweet potatoes, A dinner roll, A pat of butter, Two chocolate mints, Two small chocolate-chip cookies, ...that comes to 1320 calories. You will need to walk 13.2 miles, 21.29 kilometers, or 26400 steps, assuming you cover one mile in 2,000 steps."

I'm a vegetarian, so I avoid all meat products. however, I love love love potatoes and bread... so this is going to be a challenge. *sigh*
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This is what mine said:

"Three cups salad with diet dressing, Half a cup of stuffing, Half a cup of mashed potatoes, Half a cup of gravy, Half a cup of green bean casserole, Half a cup of candied sweet potatoes, A dinner roll, A pat of butter, Two chocolate mints, Two small chocolate-chip cookies, ...that comes to 1320 calories. You will need to walk 13.2 miles, 21.29 kilometers, or 26400 steps, assuming you cover one mile in 2,000 steps."

I'm a vegetarian, so I avoid all meat products. however, I love love love potatoes and bread... so this is going to be a challenge. *sigh*

1,320 calories is nothing. You probably burn that or close to that or possibly more just being alive. That's one of many reasons this site is stupid.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Some of us Canadians have already walked our 100 miles :wink:
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Well I didn't mean to offend anyone by posting this! Of course you're more than welcome to enjoy and partake in whatever you feel you want to!

Please don't think I want to ruin anyone's holiday! But I can guarantee that if you make a few smarter decisions you can still have a great time and not feel the guilt the next day! :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    Options
    Well I didn't mean to offend anyone by posting this! Of course you're more than welcome to enjoy and partake in whatever you feel you want to!

Please don't think I want to ruin anyone's holiday! But I can guarantee that if you make a few smarter decisions you can still have a great time and not feel the guilt the next day! :flowerforyou:

I won't feel guilt no matter what I eat. It's a stupid, useless emotion.

And it's counterproductive to living healthy and getting in shape.
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options

I won't feel guilt no matter what I eat. It's a stupid, useless emotion.

And it's counterproductive to living healthy and getting in shape.

Well then that's wonderful for you! I hope you have a great holiday :smile:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories that I plan to consume next Thursday I already know that I wouldn't even burn off if I ran a Half Marathon. Because I've run two of those, and know exactly how many calories I'd burn.

But I don't care, because Thanksgiving turkey and stuffing happens only once a year and the year I did do it on a limited basis I regretted for the entire next year. I've never made that mistake again.
  • OTlove1
    OTlove1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is using only 1 mixed drink or glass of wine...

Yeah... not sure how well that is going to work out.

bahahaha my thoughts exactly. Forget the turkey and pie, I want my bottle of moscato!!!
  • OTlove1
    OTlove1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Thank you this was helpful...it puts the meal into perspective. For me it will not be soo much the day of but the days after with all the leftovers. I will need to remember this site so I'm not finding myself having Thanksgiving dinner fo not just one day but another 2-4 days after with all the leftovers :)
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    This is what mine said:

1,320 calories is nothing. You probably burn that or close to that or possibly more just being alive. That's one of many reasons this site is stupid.

Why are you being a troll?

So you don't want to use the site - fine. So you're going to eat, drink, and be merry - fine. That doesn't mean you have to be a jerk to those of us who ARE choosing to practice self-control on the holiday.

Do what you want. Let other's do what they want. pleaseandthankyou.

Thank you, @jmeyer925, for posting this! It was very helpful and eye-opening!
  • rml_16
    Options
    This is what mine said:

So you don't want to use the site - fine. So you're going to eat, drink, and be merry - fine. That doesn't mean you have to be a jerk to those of us who ARE choosing to practice self-control on the holiday.

I was actually trying to put in perspective what your result was -- that it isn't that bad, but because you used that site, now you think it's much worse than it is.

But if you want to feel crappy about one meal a year, then go ahead. Far be it for me to stop you.
  • sunnshhiine
    Options
    This is what mine said:

I was actually trying to put in perspective what your result was -- that it isn't that bad, but because you used that site, now you think it's much worse than it is.

But if you want to feel crappy about one meal a year, then go ahead. Far be it for me to stop you.

I never said I felt bad about that meal. what i said was that I love potatoes and bread... so I'm limiting myself as to how much of it I will eat this year. My normal calories for a day is 1200 -- so no, 1320 isn't that bad, and I'm not worried about it. However, I would be worried about it if I decided to eat 3x's as much potatoes and 3 rolls -- a typical Thanksgiving for me. But I'm going to have self-control this year because there's a finish line I want to cross, and I won't accept any set-backs by temporary cravings.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

That's the problem. Why should you be guilty? We're not killing people here.
  • TLynn0568
    Options
    My perspective is I'm going to enjoy myself. I'm going to eat great food, drink fabulous wine and not pass up a beer. And then I'm clearly going to walk 500 miles (and I will walk 500 more) and make it go away apparently. :laugh:

On special occasions like Thanksgiving, I suspend the belief that I can actually "say no" for the greater purpose of forever health. Truth is, I can't. Imma gonna eat. And then the day after Imma gonna workout and get right back into eating better. And the days following Thanksgiving I'll only eat the turkey and maybe some cranberries. The rest will go home with the other people.

But Turkey Day? I'm all in. Game. Freaking. ON. Without guilt, by the way, since for the past year + I have learned how to manage my eating and working out day to day for the better. I deserve those delicious days of anything goes. It's actually what keeps me motivated the rest of the year!