You're doing it wrong if you're thinking "how skinny feels"

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My peeve with the whole saying is that being thin, fit, lean, strong, healthy, etc.... has absolutely NOTHING to do with how good a food tastes. :laugh:

You can still have chocolate, pizza, pasta, bacon, wine, anything you like, and reach your goals.

Discipline is required. Deprivation is not.

I did stop eating Pop Tarts. To be honest, I never thought they were all that tasty, just convenient. Once I realized that my beloved Asiago Cheese Bagel was lower in calories and higher in protein than two tarts, I never looked back. In my opinion, I traded something "meh" for something delicious. :happy:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My peeve with the whole saying is that being thin, fit, lean, strong, healthy, etc.... has absolutely NOTHING to do with how good a food tastes. :laugh:

You can still have chocolate, pizza, pasta, bacon, wine, anything you like, and reach your goals.

I did stop eating Pop Tarts. To be honest, I never thought they were all that tasty, just convenient. Once I realized that my beloved Asiago Cheese Bagel was lower in calories and higher in protein than two tarts, I never looked back. In my opinion, I traded something "meh" for something delicious. :happy:

The part is put in bold is, in my opinion, something that a lot of people on MFP would do well to understand.

Great post, Lorina! :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Very cool. I said to my fiance last week - "I don't care what my body looks like anymore, I am just amazed at what it can do!!!" (I started pole dancing a few weeks ago and the things I have asked from my body recently have been pretty stressful, and it delivers nearly every time!)

That's great for you! I am starting to get to that point myself. I can do things now that I could not/would not do before MFP.

Fitness feels good, not matter your BF%
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as looking good feels. Except steak. And maybe pie.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Skinny as a goal and deprivation as a strategy are not a way to find success or be healthy and happy on the way.

This statement is not true for everyone. There are many, many methods where the end result = healthy and happy. Deprivation can be a successful strategy for some, especially in the beginning.

Let's face it, when one is overeating to an extreme, deprivation will likely need to be part of the strategy.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Very cool. I said to my fiance last week - "I don't care what my body looks like anymore, I am just amazed at what it can do!!!" (I started pole dancing a few weeks ago and the things I have asked from my body recently have been pretty stressful, and it delivers nearly every time!)

It will only get better :) Pole is an awesome way to get stronger and fitter!!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

The part is put in bold is, in my opinion, something that a lot of people on MFP would do well to understand.

I have milk and a cookie most nights unless I have something like a little dark chocolate or what most people would call an actual dessert (like cake or creme brulee) I make sure I put my time in exercising so that I can have this.

Dessert is all fine and good, but I am happiest about the fact that I can take stairs with ease and a 3 mile run is a given, a 6 mile run is doable and I did do an 8 mile run when I realized I had ran 4 miles from car and had to go back. Skinny is a side benefit.

Nothing is going to taste as good as completing a 1/2 marathon next year. Or a full marathon the year after and if I ever manage it, qualifying for the Boston Marathon. Apparently they don't let just anybody run...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    not everyone is here to get healthy.

I AM.

I want to be strong as hell and fit as **** and powerful and shining!!!

But some people here just want to be thin, not strong.

That is their right :flowerforyou:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    (we'll just look better nekkid bwahahahahahaha)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    (we'll just look better nekkid bwahahahahahaha)

I'll drink to that hahahahahaha
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Being skinny meant everything to me, basically destroyed my world. Thank you for posting this! :heart:
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    AWESOMETASTIC POST
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I have milk and a cookie most nights unless I have something like a little dark chocolate or what most people would call an actual dessert (like cake or creme brulee) I make sure I put my time in exercising so that I can have this.

Dessert is all fine and good, but I am happiest about the fact that I can take stairs with ease and a 3 mile run is a given, a 6 mile run is doable and I did do an 8 mile run when I realized I had ran 4 miles from car and had to go back. Skinny is a side benefit.

Nothing is going to taste as good as completing a 1/2 marathon next year. Or a full marathon the year after and if I ever manage it, qualifying for the Boston Marathon. Apparently they don't let just anybody run...

What is you are running up stairs to obtain dark chocolate? :laugh:
  • anna0478
    anna0478 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Terrific post!
  • emily_bird
    Options
    !!!ABSOLUTELY AGREE !!!
    :drinker: Cheers to that !

That's exactly why I didn't post in that thread. Skinny and health aren't the same things. Skinny can mean very unhealthy . Most of the people that I know who have good advice and sound judgement aren't using the term "skinny" in a good way.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I want to be skinny.
  • kdank
    kdank Posts: 29
    Options
    PREACH!!!
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    nice job
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I get that you mean well with this post...but "skinny" doesn't necessarily have the same connotation to every person....so, I say whatever works to motivate someone to get HEALTHY is fine with me. If using that quote to remind them that they don't really want or need an extra slice of pizza or a donut works for them, then there is nothing 'stupid' about it....

duty_calls%5B2%5D.png
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Someone in this thread said bacon, and now I'm craving a BLT in the worst way. AFTER I've eaten my healthy lunch I packed today.

:grumble: