Wow! Well said...and it really made me think! Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Well said. This post is wonderful :heart:
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Nice post. For me, nothing tastes as good as strong feels. But, that being said, I eat what I want...in moderation....I stay within my boundaries (mostly!)
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    love this! looks like a huge percentage of mfp'rs do to.

you know if you can this many (still not all, but this many for this many pgs) of them to actually agree without bloodshed, that makes you right. (in my opinion)

A rarity on here.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Once I realized that my beloved Asiago Cheese Bagel was lower in calories and higher in protein than two tarts, I never looked back. In my opinion, I traded something "meh" for something delicious. :happy:

RIGHT ON!
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as how REVENGE ON THOSE *****ES AT SCHOOL / COLLEGE now that their metabolism and eating habits have caught up on them =^---^=

I'm a nice person really but my god I'd feel amazing when I have my revenge!

too right haha
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks!
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I want to be skinny! And I'd rather be skinny than eat three cinnabon treats like I used to-- that's how I interpret the saying. There is nothing wrong with being skinny, and skinny does not automatically mean no muscle and not healthy. I want to be skinny (as in the opposite of fat)! I'd prefer "fit" though, because I like my brain to see the word "strong" as my goal because I totally agree with you -- It is mentally easier to have a goal such as "size four" or "be able to lift X much" or "run X much" -- because our view of what "skinny" is changes all the time. There is a point where we can never be satisfied! So it's all about keeping a healthy mind. :)

Nice post!

Ditto!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    love every piece of this post....
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    You are my hero! :heart: every bit of this!
  • BrownEyedGrrl
    Options
    Great post! :heart:
  • Ladyslippers
    Ladyslippers Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've never liked the word "skinny." In the past, I'd substituted "thin" in that same phrase--"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels." Seems to have fewer negative connotations attached. I think I'd substitute "fit and healthy" in there now. In fact, I just did--I keep a document full of motivational quotes for when I need a little pick-me-up.

Words to live by:

You cannot change your destination overnight, but you can change your direction overnight.
    ~ Jim Rohn

Don't complain about the results you didn't get by the work you didn't do.

Attitudes are contagious. Is yours worth catching?

It is what it is.

The difference between who you are and who you want to be...is what you do.

Nothing tastes as good as being fit and healthy feels!

You are not what you eat. You are what you think.

I did not get fat because of what I ate on a holiday, because I ate like everyday was a holiday. Today, I watch the 21 meals I eat each week more carefully than the 1 meal that might be unusual. I hope that this thinking, along with daily exercise will help me achieve balance and vibrant health in my life.

AUTOBIOGRAPHY IN FIVE SHORT CHAPTERS
    by Portia Nelson

I
    I walk down the street.
    There is a deep hole in the sidewalk
    I fall in.
    I am lost ... I am helpless.
    It isn't my fault.
    It takes me forever to find a way out.

II
    I walk down the same street.
    There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
    I pretend I don't see it.
    I fall in again.
    I can't believe I am in the same place
    but, it isn't my fault.
    It still takes a long time to get out.

III
    I see it is there.
    I still fall in ... it's a habit.
    my eyes are open
    I know where I am.
    It is my fault.
    I get out immediately.

IV
    I walk around it.

V
    I walk down another street.

Losing weight is hard, trying to maintain weight loss is hard - - - but being fat and obese is hard too. Choose your hard!

Just do it and shut up about it!!!!!!

Now stop the crap eating and take a walk to clear out your head.

Motivation is what gets you started - Habit is what keeps you going

You don’t have to be better than everyone else, just better than YOU have ever been

Success is a staircase - not a doorway

You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great

Experience is what you get when you don’t stop trying

There are many people out there that will tell you that you can’t . What you need to do is turn around and say “Watch me!”

If you really want something you’ll find a way - if you don’t you’ll find an excuse

Never trade what you want the MOST for what you want at the MOMENT

YOU have to be your biggest inspiration!

People don’t just find the strength and the willpower they need, they create it!

Start by doing what is necessary , then do what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

Quitting is not an option, but if you do - you will never know the outcome.

You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step

It’s your road and yours alone, others may walk with you, but no one can walk it for you

Your life does not get better by CHANCE, it gets better by CHANGE

Don’t look back - you’re not going that way!

"If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again."
    – Flavia Weedn

That pain you feel after a tough workout session is just weakness leaving your body.

Success comes with a backbone, NOT a wishbone!

The weakest workout is far superior to the workout left undone.
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Ha! I remember Oprah saying that all the time on her show, and, um, yeah... I think she's doing it wrong.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I want to be skinny! And I'd rather be skinny than eat three cinnabon treats like I used to-- that's how I interpret the saying. There is nothing wrong with being skinny, and skinny does not automatically mean no muscle and not healthy. I want to be skinny (as in the opposite of fat)! I'd prefer "fit" though, because I like my brain to see the word "strong" as my goal because I totally agree with you -- It is mentally easier to have a goal such as "size four" or "be able to lift X much" or "run X much" -- because our view of what "skinny" is changes all the time. There is a point where we can never be satisfied! So it's all about keeping a healthy mind. :)

Nice post!

^^^^this

But, I get what you are saying. It can be unhealthy. I want to be skinny, strong, and healthy. I want to do it right.

I have a girl that I work with that tries to rub it in my face cause she is steadily dropping the pounds. Making fun of my 1- 2 little pounds a week and how if she ran 6 - 14 miles a day she would be so, so skinny. But, she ain't doing it right. She only eats ice, all day. That is sick. I feel bad for her and have tried to tell her, but she won't listen. She just thinks I am jealous.
  • Bonella
    Bonella Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I so love this! I have no desire to be skinny, but I do want to be thinner and more healthy. I refuse to deprive myself or miss out on life while on this journey.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I am skinny. And strong. And healthy. And quite pleased with my body, both how it looks and what it can do.

And I approve of the OP's message. And I wish her strength in the coming years with her pre-teen.

ETA: I am also impressed with how civil everyone has been on this thread.
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Ha! I remember Oprah saying that all the time on her show, and, um, yeah... I think she's doing it wrong.

clearly!

No offense to Ms. O but it seems but being the most public yo-yoer of all time, IMO, maybe instead of pawning that phrase onto millions she should have been saying, "Eat more protein, lift weights, read a book or two on what good nutrition is and aim to be strong and stay that way!"
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Someone in this thread said bacon, and now I'm craving a BLT in the worst way. AFTER I've eaten my healthy lunch I packed today.

:grumble:

So, work it in for dinner or lunch tomorrow.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I realize this was mostly aimed at women, but your list is awesome...especially the conquering obesity part (for me)!
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Amen!