No kids here, but if you do, I have a question for you.

Options

Replies

• ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    If I ever have a daughter...
    She will always know how gorgeous she is
    There will be no scales in the house
    The word ‘diet’ and ‘fat’ will be like swear words
    I never want her feeling like I do.

I grew up with a lot of siblings, mostly all younger than me. I babysat and cooked a lot, they would eat a variety of food. Sometimes they weren't hungry for a meal, and wouldn't finish. Other times they could eat 2 servings of something. It all depends on their hunger level, and if they're listening to their body I wouldn't worry. I think encouraging kids to eat healthy foods is great -- But I would hate for any of them to get into the habit of calorie counting, they're kids. Let them live their life.

~Interesting to read the comments on this thread though!
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My kids are 16 and 21.

when they were little, I just made sure they had plenty of healthy snacks and wouldn't watch their calories- I just tried to make sure they weren't eating too much junk.

Now that they are semi adult and adult - my 16 year old is trying to lose a few pounds. She looks great as is, but i'm supporting her goals. We've been having fun trying new things (like spaghetti squash, which we now both love) and finding new low calorie snacks.

My 21 year old son is SKINNY. He would look a little better if he gained just a little weight (he's around 6' or 6'1" and probably weighs... 150). He doesn't know it, but when he asks for something from the grocery store, i try to buy him the highest calorie version i can find. lol.
  • mramirez1981
    Options
    I encourage my kids to listen to their bodies - eat when you're hungry, stop when you're not. I also make them eat regular meals at the table as a family so they're not snacking all day. My children are not overweight, so this seems to be working. I want them to develop healthy habits early, but I would never make them feel that I was counting their calories or anything that could attribute to food/body image issues.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I have never even attempted to count calories for either of my girls, BUT, a couple of years ago we were becoming quite worried for the youngest, who at 11 was overweight and very picky with her food. Having been overwight myself since childhood, I was desparate for her not to end up like me.

We were lucky enough to be given places on something called the 'MEND' programme, where we all learnt about making healthy lifestyle choices. We did family cooking sessions, the kids all went and tried different activities, and we learned loads. She is now a happy, healthy 13 year old with much better self esteem. She plays underwater hockey, badminton and goes to the gym, will try all sorts of foods, and enjoys cooking. She doesn't need to worry about her weight, and we try our hardest to lead by example in terms of sensible food choices and taking regular exercise.:smile:
  • cecyvaquero
    cecyvaquero Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    No. My kids are small and they only have baby fat on them so I don't count there calories. I am always working out and they work out with me at times. They really like it especially if its Zumba.
  • berdoochick
    berdoochick Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids and my oldest has been overweight for as long as i can remember because she was always hungry as a baby so i kept feeding her formula (my mistake i know) but now she is 3 and although she is still overweight her dr is very happy because she hasnt gained in a year and a half! I dont count her calories but i do limit her milk/juice intake and have gotten her onto more veggies than fruit and hotdogs. my youngest 2 are actually in the 25th% so they're not in danger but i keep the same rules for them as my oldest. :)
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I should also add that my two at home are in high school and play sports almost year round and love to play hoops at the Y on weekends so calories are not what I'm concerned about as much as good nutrition and food awareness/education.

I've been trying to encourage my oldest to get on MFP since he's been more weight conscience and no competing in HS athletics anymore. He was working out and then started the Atkins diet with a friend but he finally realized it's very hard especially with his work and college schedules and just life in general if you're out and about a lot. THANKFULLY, it was enough to get him on here!
  • amylahminute
    amylahminute Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    No. It's hard enough to convince mine to stop playing and eat something.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    no, i just make sur they get a littble bit of everything they need :D and a multi vitamen, cause they dont always like to eat everything they need to be!! also always water or milk. no juice (except in sons lunch bag for school)
  • reankanesmom
    reankanesmom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I do not count their calories or stress over what they are eating in a sense that they can not be kids etc. I do however make sure they get their snacks and their meals, I try to make those things balanced and healthy though. Kids are kids and I want them to enjoy childhood with out the stress us adults have. I am big on Multi Vits and water for them. Both of my children (6 and 8) are smaller for their age group but if the husband and I didnt let ourselves go then we would be smaller to. They are healthy though :)
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    No calorie counting here.

I am teaching my kids about healthy balanced choices. I don't deny them, but there are some "rules" that they know about eating. Like, our breakfast cereal for example. I don't allow sugary/chocolately/highly processed breakfast cereals to be part of their morning. But, sometimes we will buy mini boxes as a treat for camping.

Also, when they do ask for treats/cookies/junk, they are allowed their portion (I help lay that out for them). When they are done, if they ask for more treat, then I remind them that their body must be hungry and needs a healthy snack.

We've never really denied them sweets/junk, and once a month we have family pizza night, and they know that means they get to have pop too. My kids are already good at making healthy choices - and will often ask me for fruit, cheese, yogurt as a snack (or they just help themselves)
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    If you're kids are overweight due to non-medical issues, you are failing as parent. This, alone, should answer your question.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    NO way...........I tell them to eat when they are hungry and we do not do hardly ANY prepackaged snacks. We eat fresh fruit, veggies, and lean meat! They get a treat once in a while but no calorie counting here!
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    My son is only 18 months so I don't feel the need to count his calories however if he keeps eating "mommys healthy food" then there will be no need to. He loves his veggies, that is the first thing gone from his plate!
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I did but not because I was worried she'd gain weight. I watched for the opposite reason. I wanted to make sure she ate enough to maintain. She was always so busy that she didn't have time to eat. Rushing here and there. Talking during school lunch rather than eating. Eating a few bites and declaring herself full so she could go out to play. Everybody had an opinion and many diagnosed her with an eating disorder.

When she went to college, her "freshman 15" was a loss of eight rather than a gain. Eight is a big beal when you only weigh 106 to begin with!

Now she pays attention to what she eats. I've even suggested MFP to help her make sure she eats enough. She did gain back the weight over 6 months and is back to her healthy weight of 106 and she has maintained that.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have 2 kids, ages 5 and 2. We do not "count their calories" from a strict sense, but we do try to enforce smart choices and smart portion sizes (there's no way a 2-year-old should get the same size portion I or any other adult gets). I don't ever want to tell my kids "you can't have that," but there are some things we limit -- candy, cookies, snack-y foods like chips, etc. They're allowed one dessert-type item in the evening, but only if they behave all day and only if they eat all their dinner ("If you're too full for dinner, you're too full for cookies." You don't know how many times I've said that.). My 2 year old is all about sandwiches right now. So we indulge this for him, but it's usually a half sandwich. When we make lunch, if they want chips or junk, they need to have something healthy first -- usually some grapes or cut up pears or apples. Then we limit the amount they get so they don't go overboard. If they want more, we ask them to just wait a few minutes to make sure. 9 times out of 10, if we don't remind them they asked for more, they wander off, get busy and forget about wanting more.

We're trying to teach them healthy choices and that the "bad" foods are OK to have, just not in large quantities. We have a couple pictures of me around the house from when I weighed 340 pounds, which have helped teach *why* you don't want to just hog out on junk food all the time. I think they get it. I think they appreciate the leeway we give them. As others have stated, we're trying not to set them down the path to an eating disorder, just toward proper eating.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    No.....but I do try to make sure they eat balanced meals. My kiddos love their fruits and veggies, but sometimes shy away from meats.
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    NO, that would be a whole other side of crazy that I don't want to see myself reach. TYVM. I do, however, make sure they eat a balanced meal and limit sweets, sugary drinks and just in general try to make sure they have good eating habits- eat only @ the table, only eat at specified times during the day, make healthy options available. I also involve my kids in the kitchen and help them to learn healthy ways to prepare food and learn a love of SHARING the food we make.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I NEVER keep track of calories for my 4 year old and 2 year old. My 4 year old is borderline natural vegetarian. That child loves most green things, and is willing to try almost anything. I have no concerns for her. She was pretty chunky when when she was younger, and while I have not been trying to get her to lose weight, she has gone down about 3lbs in the last year or so and has really leaned out. She looks healthy, and she always talks about how we should eat to make our bodies healthy and strong. We talk about foods that are "good for our insides."

My 2 year old is picky and prefers all-things bread...but he's 2. My 4 year old was picky at that age as well.

I WISH I could count my 14-year-old step-daughter's calories. She is going down a very dangerous path. Her dad is oblivious and not concerned, and she has no concept of "healthy" or not. But...I'm only the stepmom.
  • mommyrox05
    Options
    Never! I just make sure that they eat healthy balanced meals, and snacks :happy: