1200 calorie friends?

Options

Replies

• Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It does, the first two weeks suck... But after that its totally different (Ina good way)
    awesome! thanks! also, i've lost a kg since yesterday :o is that odd?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 2500 calories, recently decreased from 3000. My diary is open. Fellow 2500 people, feel free to add me.

Huh?

Whoops, wrong thread. Sorry about that.

*leaves quickly*

Alright!!! I am 5'3 and started at 140 lbs, and ate at 1900 to lose weight and now I can eat 2150 and still not gain....oh hang on...

Oh wait..... sorry... Man I did it again.

I LOVE that I can actually eat more than a squirrel, that's the BEST part! :bigsmile:

And if you were 50 pounds overweight and wanted to lose 2 pounds per week, you could eat 1150 per day and do that!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 2500 calories, recently decreased from 3000. My diary is open. Fellow 2500 people, feel free to add me.

Huh?

*leaves quickly*

Alright!!! I am 5'3 and started at 140 lbs, and ate at 1900 to lose weight and now I can eat 2150 and still not gain....oh hang on...

I LOVE that I can actually eat more than a squirrel, that's the BEST part! :bigsmile:

And if you were 50 pounds overweight and wanted to lose 2 pounds per week, you could eat 1150 per day and do that!

You "could", yes...but I think the question is, "should" you?
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I'm aiming at 1800 a day.

The downside is I am 6'11 but I've done it before on 1500. Those were the days!

6'11'? Wow, you are tall. If you have done it on 1500-1800, then surely 1200 would be just fine for a 5'6" middle age lady!
  • Hey_you_over_there
    Options
    Nope, your weight can fluxuate wildly and it can be terribly frustrating.

I try to only weigh in once a week (in the morning) or if I insist on daily, I do it in the AM.

Drink lots and lots of water.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

Huh?

*leaves quickly*

"Could", yes...but I think the question is, "should" you?

Why not? Completely safe by all medical standards. She may not WANT to, but that would be her choice.
  • Hey_you_over_there
    Options
    I'm aiming at 1800 a day.

The downside is I am 6'11 but I've done it before on 1500. Those were the days!

6'11'? Wow, you are tall. If you have done it on 1500-1800, then surely 1200 would be just fine for a 5'6" middle age lady!

Yea but it was all super processed crap food. It's easier to go over on calories when eating healthier, at least for me.
  • Spldrttniam
    Spldrttniam Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I need some more Ideas for the 1200 a day also open to join and share.
  • muddyroads
    Options
    1200 calories here, feel free to add me
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    [/quote]

Yea but it was all super processed crap food. It's easier to go over on calories when eating healthier, at least for me.
    [/quote]

Really? I find just the opposite. I get way more food for my calories when I cook at home. One Angus cheeseburger at McDonald's would set me back 700 cals before adding fries or a drink. Then it would probably total at least 1500. Your whole day's calories on one meal.
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options

I try to only weigh in once a week (in the morning) or if I insist on daily, I do it in the AM.

okay, its hard to remember to drink water.. and then you spend most of the day peeing... annoying! lol yeah i weighed myself before breaky... i just get too curious to wait a whole week! haha
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Huh?

*leaves quickly*

Why not? Completely safe by all medical standards. She may not WANT to, but that would be her choice.

Why not? Because I believe there are differing levels of "healthiness" in restricting calories to 1200 vs. restricting calories to, say, 2000. Is it possible to eat "healthily" at only 1200 calories? I suppose. But it's more difficult and unlikely to happen by accident. And I'm not talking about "I eat whole grains and lean meats so my diet is healthy." I believe sufficient micronutrients are important, and again, difficult to get with only 1200 calories.

I also believe that, even ignoring the whole micronutrient argument, that it may be healthier to lose weight at a higher amount of calories...physical, mental, and emotional.

I also believe that research supports that a higher calorie diet...(read: slower weight loss)...is more likely to be sustained (but admit that I haven't researched these last two paragraphs and am relying on some second hand info...so I'll state those as my own personal opinion and not absolute fact.

It's just something to consider...especially for those who are on a repeat run at restricting themselves to 1200 calories believing that it is the *only* way.

ETA: And just so we're clear, (since even one of my own friends seemed confused about this earlier today), I am not proposing to take away anyone's choice for their own dietary approach. I'm just sharing my opinion.
  • Hey_you_over_there
    Options

okay, its hard to remember to drink water.. and then you spend most of the day peeing... annoying! lol yeah i weighed myself before breaky... i just get too curious to wait a whole week! haha

Ha! I still do as well
  • Hey_you_over_there
    Options

[/quote]

Really? I find just the opposite. I get way more food for my calories when I cook at home. One Angus cheeseburger at McDonald's would set me back 700 cals before adding fries or a drink. Then it would probably total at least 1500. Your whole day's calories on one meal.
    [/quote]

Yea I found the weight watchers/lean cuisines with the calorie count was easier to track. When I would cook, I would realize all the little things I added that upped the calorie count.

Using this app has help ALOT.
  • saudade108
    Options
    I'm at 1200 calories per day. My diary is open and feel free to add me as a friend!
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    For those looking for meal ideas on 1200, here is my diary for today-

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sugar Fiber
    Atkins - Daybreak Chocolate Hazelnut Bar (Net Carbs), 1 Bar 180 3 14 6 1 7
    Coffemate Sugar Free Hazelnut Creamer - Sugar Free Creamer, 6 TBSP 90 12 6 0 0 0

Snack
    Blue Diamond Natural - Oven Roasted Almonds - Dark Chocolate , 0.5 oz 80 5 7 3 2 2

Lunch
    Eckrich - Eckrich Turkey Smoked Sausage, 1 oz 55 2 4 4 2 0
    Cheeses~Jen's - Kraft Cheddar Fat Free Shredded Cheese, 1/8 cup 23 1 0 5 0 0
    Generic - Bok Choy -- Boiled, Drained, Cooked, 1 cup cooked (170 g) 20 3 0 2 1 2
    Generic - Egg - Large, 2 egg (68g) 140 0 9 18 0 0
    Mushrooms - Raw, 1 cup, pieces or slices 15 2 0 2 1 1
    Shedd's Spread - Country Crock Plus Calcium, 0.3 tbsp 15 0 2 0 0 0

Totals 268 8 15 31 4 3
    Snack
    Milk Walmart Great Value - 1% Milk, 1 cup 110 14 3 8 12 0
    Low carb pecan pie, 0.5 serving 204 8 18 4 7 2

Total 314 22 21 12 19 2
    Dinner
    Chicken Thigh - Grilled W/ Bbq W/Out Skin, No Bones, 4 oz 140 0 7 17 0 0
    Fresh Express - Iceberg Garden Salad Mix , 2 cups 15 4 0 1 2 1
    Fresh Express - Spinach Leaves, 1 cups 10 2 0 1 0 1
    Hidden Valley Salad Dressing - Ranch Fat Free, 1 tbsp. 15 1 0 0 2 0
    Mezzetta - Non-Pareil Capers, 0.4 tbsp 0 0 0 0 0 0

Totals 180 7 7 19 4 2
    Snack
    Coffeemate - Pumpkin Spice, Sugar Free, 2 TBSP 30 4 2 0 0 0
    Frigo Cheese Head (Light) - Mozarella Stick, 1 stick 50 0 3 7 0 0

Totals 1,192 cals 52(net carbs) 75 Fat 78 Protein 30 Sugar 16Fiber

My protein is usually a little higher and fat a little lower, but I had a slice of pecan pie instead of my usual frozen strawberry protein smoothie.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

[/quote]

Yea I found the weight watchers/lean cuisines with the calorie count was easier to track. When I would cook, I would realize all the little things I added that upped the calorie count.

Using this app has help ALOT.
    [/quote]

Ah, ok. I have heard a lot of people use the diet frozen dinners for convenience sake, but add salad or steamed veggies to them to bulk them up without adding a lot of calories. Buy a big bag of premixed salad and a bag of frozen broccoli that you can throw in the microwave and you are good to go.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

Huh?

*leaves quickly*

Why not? Because I believe there are differing levels of "healthiness" in restricting calories to 1200 vs. restricting calories to, say, 2000. Is it possible to eat "healthily" at only 1200 calories? I suppose. But it's more difficult and unlikely to happen by accident. And I'm not talking about "I eat whole grains and lean meats so my diet is healthy." I believe sufficient micronutrients are important, and again, difficult to get with only 1200 calories.

I also believe that, even ignoring the whole micronutrient argument, that it may be healthier to lose weight at a higher amount of calories...physical, mental, and emotional.

I also believe that research supports that a higher calorie diet...(read: slower weight loss)...is more likely to be sustained (but admit that I haven't researched these last two paragraphs and am relying on some second hand info...so I'll state those as my own personal opinion and not absolute fact.

It's just something to consider...especially for those who are on a repeat run at restricting themselves to 1200 calories believing that it is the *only* way.

ETA: And just so we're clear, (since even one of my own friends seemed confused about this earlier today), I am not proposing to take away anyone's choice for their own dietary approach. I'm just sharing my opinion.

You certainly have the right to your opinion. And my opinion, based on medical research, is that a 5'3" woman who is 50 pounds overweight could safely lose weight eating at 1200 cals per day, if she ate a balanced diet of protein, healthy fats, and high fiber carbs.

I am sure that everyone understands that they can eat more calories and lose at a slower rate. For those with not much to lose, this might be perfectly acceptable for them, but for those who need to lose a considerable amount of weight, 1-2 pounds per week is widely acceptable as a safe rate of weight loss.

What is confusing for many people is they keep hearing that they can eat more calories and lose the same weight, but no one tells them that it is at a slower rate, or that they will need to exercise a whole lot more. And many of them are told they will go into starvation mode and start gaining weight if they eat at a lower level and don't eat all their exercise calories back. Then after 2-3 months of not losing anything, they get frustrated and quit altogether.

I am not saying that 1200 is appropriate for EVERYONE, but it is indeed appropriate for MANY people, and it is safe and sustainable for many people. There are SO MANY success stories on here of people who have done it successfully and are keeping it off.

So far, no one has ever provided any medical evidence that 1200 calories is unhealthy for everyone.
    The Sports Medicine people state 1200 as the safe minimum, and the CDC states 800 for women and 900 for men is the safe minimum.

It is certainly not appropriate or even desirable for some people, but it is so for some, and we are tired of all the snarky comments and blanket statements that show up every time someone starts a thread looking for others who are on 1200 cals.

When the title of the thread is "1200 calorie friends" Why do you even read the thread? There are no urinals on the wall!
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'2 and I net 1200-1400 because this allows me to lose about 2lbs per week. My doctor has approved this and I'm never hungry. In fact, I have trouble getting up to 1200 sometimes - today, for example. I'd love to be friends with like-minded people, so add me.
  • Lululuv
    Lululuv Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    MFP set my calories at 1290. I did not want to lose weight but this is the amount suggested. I do eat my excercise calories back!