1200 calorie friends?

Options

Replies

• arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    the app put my calories at 1250. I keep it 1200-1250. If you eat under 1200 your body will go into starvation mode. I'm only 5'1" that's why its set so low for me. Anyone can add me if you like.
  • MsipiGRITS
    MsipiGRITS Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm working on 1200 daily too, but I am trying to maintain where I am. However, I have found a direct correlation to 'what' I eat and weight gains and/or stalls, even if I do not exceed my calories!!! Would be great to join a group with similar goals! So, feel free to add me anyone... :flowerforyou:
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    im aiming for the same thing does anyone know foods that actually make you feel full?

I eat lots of protein, 2 egg omelet with fat free cheese and stuffed with veggies, grilled chicken breasts with steamed veggies or salads, guacamole, nuts, sunflower seeds and pine nuts, smoothies made with EAS protein drinks and frozen strawberries.
    The higher protein and good fats combined with high fiber, non starch veggies, keeps me very satisfied on 1200 calories per day. If I eat lower fiber carbs, i.e. sugar, white bread, starchy veggies, then I find I get hungrier.

This works for me, altho it might not work for everyone.

You can substitute spaggetti squash or zuchini slices for pasta, mashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes, and many other substitutions. I like haven't a lot of veggies so that it fills my plate up while having lower calories. Fiber is the key for me. I shoot for 25g per day.

My macros are set to 30Carb/30Protein/40Fat, and I stay fairly close to that.

THIS! Except that I tend to get a little more protein in and go even lower on carbs and fat ... feeling great, not hungry at all, and steadily losing on 1200 daily.
  • MsipiGRITS
    MsipiGRITS Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 3 of C25K! Good luck! :happy:
  • biggiejax
    biggiejax Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i doing 1200 as well please add me:wink:
  • BonnieGertz
    BonnieGertz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to do 1200...you can add me
  • fisky123
    fisky123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 1200 cals too, just started tracking last week and have no friends on this yet! Finding 1200 a bit hard to stick to...it was closer to 3000 a day last weekend! Feel free to add me- strength in numbers and all that! :-D
  • I'm currently at 2500 calories, recently decreased from 3000. My diary is open. Fellow 2500 people, feel free to add me.

Huh?

Whoops, wrong thread. Sorry about that.

*leaves quickly*

Alright!!! I am 5'3 and started at 140 lbs, and ate at 1900 to lose weight and now I can eat 2150 and still not gain....oh hang on...

Oh wait..... sorry... Man I did it again.

I LOVE that I can actually eat more than a squirrel, that's the BEST part! :bigsmile:

cookiemonstergif_zps09f16cd7.gif
  • Hey_you_over_there
    Options
    I'm aiming at 1800 a day.

The downside is I am 6'11 but I've done it before on 1500. Those were the days!
  • simonesez
    simonesez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to MFP. I too am aiming for a 1200 calorie diet. Its been about three days so far, and it's going well... but I have already decided I will be over on Thanksgiving because it is also my birthday on Friday. I am not sure if I have an open diary, but feel free to add me. I want to get back to my goal weight of 160lbs... currently 198. I am 5'9 and am going to try working out at least 3 days a week... treadmill @ 3.0-3.5 mph. Good luck to all.
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    What is your goal by consuming only 1200 calories per day?

Did you know that eating too-few of calories can actually cause our bodies enter starvation mode? The thyroid hormones needed to fuel your metabolism can’t be produced and our metabolism starts slowing down. Our bodies start clinging to fat stores as a source of energy and we become sluggish.

The ideal caloric intake is based off an equation that first calculates your BMR to include your height, weight, age, gender.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Once this number is established, the next step adds in your activity level in the Harris Benedict equation.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

This final number is what you should be consuming on a daily basis. The ideal plan for your body is 40/40/20, meaning 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat. This keeps your body in fat-burning mode while allowing the gain of lean muscle. It also allows your body to maintain a higher energy level and feel full longer!

I hope this helps, feel free to add me :)

Based on those Calculators you added, at 5'2" 133 pounds 28 year old female, my BMR = 1393.35 x 1.2 (sedentary (little or no exercise) = 1672.02

1672 mnus 500 cals per day to loose 1 lb per week = 1172 cals per day. I still stick to 1200 though.

You don't subtract calories from your BMR. That's actually telling you that 1672 would work for you to lose weight...
  • Tammiecarver
    Tammiecarver Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm 1200 calories and my dairy is open so please feel free to add me.
  • trinak1
    trinak1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm also at 1200 calories a day. I'm 5'3" and would like to lose 10 lbs. I'm vegetarian but it's still hard to lose the weight! Feel free to add me
  • Lalamontour
    Options
    i am aiming for 1200 or less a week any of you can add me. I am very encouraging.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The app put my goal to 1200 calories a day, so that cant be too low, right? I just started last Thursday, you can add me. I'm new here on the message boards.

Starvation mode only happens to you if your BMI is not withing the healthy range anymore or if you literally stop eating for weeks on end. Do some research instead of listening to everyone?
  • keelz2010
    Options
    Heya, I'm on 1200 a day, and I have an open diary if anyone wants to add me, I log everything that goes in my mouth, everyday
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    i'm on 1200 too, SO FREAKIN HUNGRY!!!! only been on it for two days so far so i'm hoping it gets easier...
  • Hey_you_over_there
    Options
    It does, the first two weeks suck... But after that its totally different (Ina good way)
  • tessari1800
    Options
    I'm new, MFP also recommended 1200 calories a day. It's motivating me to exercise so that I can eat more! Feel free to add me.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    What is your goal by consuming only 1200 calories per day?

Did you know that eating too-few of calories can actually cause our bodies enter starvation mode? The thyroid hormones needed to fuel your metabolism can’t be produced and our metabolism starts slowing down. Our bodies start clinging to fat stores as a source of energy and we become sluggish.

The ideal caloric intake is based off an equation that first calculates your BMR to include your height, weight, age, gender.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Once this number is established, the next step adds in your activity level in the Harris Benedict equation.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

This final number is what you should be consuming on a daily basis. The ideal plan for your body is 40/40/20, meaning 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat. This keeps your body in fat-burning mode while allowing the gain of lean muscle. It also allows your body to maintain a higher energy level and feel full longer!

I hope this helps, feel free to add me :)

Based on those Calculators you added, at 5'2" 133 pounds 28 year old female, my BMR = 1393.35 x 1.2 (sedentary (little or no exercise) = 1672.02

1672 mnus 500 cals per day to loose 1 lb per week = 1172 cals per day. I still stick to 1200 though.

You don't subtract calories from your BMR. That's actually telling you that 1672 would work for you to lose weight...

She was subtracting the 500 calories from her TDEE. 1672 is her maintenance level. Her BMR is 1393