1200 calorie friends?

Options

Replies

• Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    im aiming for the same thing does anyone know foods that actually make you feel full?

Porridge, soups, quick (cup) soup, bananas,.. they work for me
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    1200 here. My diary is open and I've been here for about 75 days or so so I have a lot of stuff to scan through... Some days were better than others but for the most part I've been sticking to it.
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hi i'm new to this and it has also told me that i'm on 1200 calories a day. Does anybody know though when you input your exercise and your calories go up should you still stick to 1200 for the day or use up the additional calories? have been trying EVERYTHING the last few months to shift a stone (always that last stone is the hardest) and no matter what i do i just can't seem to lose i do a couple of runs a week and a couple of bootcamps. Love this app though really makes you think twice before stuffing that something extra in your gob!!!!

At whatever you are set to, the NET is what matters. So your NET calories should be 1200. :) I have always netted around 1200-1400 here on MFP.

*Oh and in response to another poster....your body won't go into "starvation mode" unless you are literally eating bark, bugs and berries stranded out in the woods, walking all day to try to find your way home for weeks+. Netting 1200 calories a day is perfectly acceptable for a shorter person, trying to lose less than 50lbs. If you search the forums for starvation mode you can read that this subject has been talked about over and over, people have some wild ideas.
  • RedBullLiz
    RedBullLiz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Also at 1200 calories, but seem to be eating more than that. By registering everything you eat, I never realized how much I was eating. I eat healthy anyways, but apparently too much. My downfall is snacking on the wrong things too.
    Right?! GRR!!
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    im aiming for the same thing does anyone know foods that actually make you feel full?

Yup, ^that, and nuts, hard boiled egg whites, and flatbread crackers
    Mostly for me it's about small portions a few times a day. For example, if you usually eat 6 dumplings in a meal, eat 2 dumplings three times a day instead
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    What is your goal by consuming only 1200 calories per day?

Did you know that eating too-few of calories can actually cause our bodies enter starvation mode? The thyroid hormones needed to fuel your metabolism can’t be produced and our metabolism starts slowing down. Our bodies start clinging to fat stores as a source of energy and we become sluggish.

The ideal caloric intake is based off an equation that first calculates your BMR to include your height, weight, age, gender.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Once this number is established, the next step adds in your activity level in the Harris Benedict equation.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

This final number is what you should be consuming on a daily basis. The ideal plan for your body is 40/40/20, meaning 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat. This keeps your body in fat-burning mode while allowing the gain of lean muscle. It also allows your body to maintain a higher energy level and feel full longer!

I hope this helps, feel free to add me :)

This person has no idea what they are talking about. Starvation mode is a myth. I have been successfully maintaining a 1200 cal diet for the past seven months and have lost 22 lbs. Next.

Feel free to add me, though!
  • geekpryncess
    geekpryncess Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Mine is 1200 too, as 5'2" 35 yr old sedentary female. I think that's a pretty good amount. When I go over, I don't lose weight. When I'm at or under 1200, I lose weight.

My diary is open, I think. Idk that I'm the best role model out there for food choices, I have a horrid sweet tooth that I fight against constantly. Determined to conquer it eventually though!
  • Hungrygirl88
    Options
    1330 goal...try to hit close to it everyday..and I log!!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm looking for friends w open diaries aiming for 1200 cals per day. This is my goal as well. Lets support each other!

I am doing quite well on 1200 per day, as it is appropriate for me. If you feel it is appropriate for you as well, feel free to add me and check my diary for ideas. Don't know what your age, weight, height, etc is, but 1200 is an appropriate goal for many people, however it is not appropriate for everyone.
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    Hi! I'm looking for friends w open diaries aiming for 1200 cals per day. This is my goal as well. Lets support each other!

1200 caolories? Thats a nutritious and satisfying breakfast to me.....
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Hi i'm new to this and it has also told me that i'm on 1200 calories a day. Does anybody know though when you input your exercise and your calories go up should you still stick to 1200 for the day or use up the additional calories? have been trying EVERYTHING the last few months to shift a stone (always that last stone is the hardest) and no matter what i do i just can't seem to lose i do a couple of runs a week and a couple of bootcamps. Love this app though really makes you think twice before stuffing that something extra in your gob!!!!

At whatever you are set to, the NET is what matters. So your NET calories should be 1200. :)
    Yes be sure to net 1200 that means eating back exercise calories. I lost 10lbs doing that but I've recently upped my calories to 1400. I don't want to lose any more than 5 lbs now. I haven't lost anything at 1400 but I also haven't gained. I have noticed my weight-loss tends to come all at one time though instead of weekly (maybe what has been described as the woosh affect) so the verdict is still out on eating more. My diary is open to friends if you are curious about eating a little more.
  • kzedelbee
    kzedelbee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm on 1280, feel free to add me. I'm a bit higher but i'm happy to lose my last 10 pounds slower so have gone for the half pound per week option. So far I've lost 5 ibs in 3 weeks so not doing too badly, I've been meaning to update my ticker but keep forgetting!!
    I fill up on boiled eggs, homemade veggie soup and lots of salad but still make a little room for the odd glass of wine or maccy d's, calorie counting for me is about relearning how to eat in moderation and be able to treat myself without going bonkers with it.
    Good Luck, don't be afraid to add another 100 calories if you feel 1200 is too low, as long as your still eating under your daily calorie needs you'll continue to lose weight but at a slightly slower rate.
    k x
  • Bon1022
    Options
    I'm temporarily eating at 1200 calories per day. Once I get acclimated, I will go with 1500 (adding exercise etc).
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

This, ^ plus lots of raw apples, oatmeal with fresh fruit in it, green salads with chicken/ham/hard boiled eggs, egg white omelets with lots of veggies.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Why is it so hard to understand that just because your goal is set to 1200 doesn't mean that's *all* you consume? It means that's all you consume if you are sedentary and get in no exercise at all. If you exercise, you should be consuming more than that.

This... it's 1200 NET and MFP doesn't add in the calories that you burn just by living/breathing...
    I believe others have posted links to do the necessary calculations at the start of the thread, but to be honest, once I have run out of fingers and toes, I give up with numbers :-)

I plan to as close as 1200 as I can get, and with light exercise, and using integration with a FitBit pedoneter and calorie burn, I can usually sneak in some snacks as well.

By all means add me too - I DO switch to maintenance at the weekends (which is 1670 at my current weight) but with the exception of an awards dinner earlier this month - I haven't topped that level at all, but it was nice to have the wiggle room.

Diary is open to friends...
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I've been at 1200 since I started about 4 months ago. I RARELY feel hungry, and I'm down about 35 lbs. Feel free to add me if you want, my diary is open. (Don't know that I'm much of a good example- I eat what I want as long as it's in the calorie goal!)
  • genablue
    genablue Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

I eat lots of protein, 2 egg omelet with fat free cheese and stuffed with veggies, grilled chicken breasts with steamed veggies or salads, guacamole, nuts, sunflower seeds and pine nuts, smoothies made with EAS protein drinks and frozen strawberries.
    The higher protein and good fats combined with high fiber, non starch veggies, keeps me very satisfied on 1200 calories per day. If I eat lower fiber carbs, i.e. sugar, white bread, starchy veggies, then I find I get hungrier.

This works for me, altho it might not work for everyone.

You can substitute spaggetti squash or zuchini slices for pasta, mashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes, and many other substitutions. I like haven't a lot of veggies so that it fills my plate up while having lower calories. Fiber is the key for me. I shoot for 25g per day.

My macros are set to 30Carb/30Protein/40Fat, and I stay fairly close to that.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

1200 caolories? Thats a nutritious and satisfying breakfast to me.....

So apparently she isn't looking for 47 yr old men who eat 1200 calorie breakfasts.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    jckratt12... Great info! Thanks!

I whole heartedly agree!