Losing Weight after HORRIFIC Cymbalta

Options
Hello pals,

I was hoping that if I post this I can get some really great advice and possibly acquire some new friends that are in the same boat as me or who have overcome this horrible drug Cymbalta.

I had been on Cymbalta 60 mg for about a year and a half now (Weight didn't start appearing until after a year on the pill) and just quit cold turkey when I realized that these 25-35 pounds I put on was because of a DAMN drug that was supposed to help me. I reviewed and revised my healthy lifestlye and exercise plan so much and I am still wasn't getting anywhere near the same results I had gotten before when I got skinny and toned.

I had originally attributed my weight gain to a seriously horrific breakup, surgery, and my unconcious eating habits. Once all of those had subsided I hadn't been able to change my body. A few pounds up and down on the scale don't make that much of a difference to me when my body isn't "changing".

I can't fit my old clothes at all!!!!!! :sad:

Like I said I quit cold turkey 5 days ago and only have brain zaps, tingling and stuff in arms, hands, and feet periodically.

I take Dramamine for dizziness, 5 HTP for my mood, and am drinking tons of water and Sobe 0 calorie Life water.

Oh for energy I am taking Super B Complex and L-carnatine.

Fish oil and Vitamins for health.

Please let me know your experiences ; good, bad, or indifferent.

Definitely let me know when I can possibly see that scale moving again...I am trying to lose weight like limbs since I have realized this CULPRIT!!!!!!

Thanks in advance for your support on this. :heart:

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    DId you consult your doctor when you decided to stop taking Cymbalta?

Medication doesn't make your body add fat to it. It may cause water retention of an increased appetite. You can lose weight on medications.

It isn't always healthy to just stop a drug... I'm hoping you spoke with your doctor about this decision.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Cymbalta isn't a drug associated with weight gain, actually the reverse. Drugs don't make you gain fat, eating too much makes you gain fat.
  • robinred817
    Options
    I gained about 20 pounds within in the first 3-4 months that I was on Cymbalta.....after my doctor took me off of it I was sort of expecting the weight to come off as quickly as it came on but unfortunately that was not the case. It took severl months of hard work but I finally got there and I'm sure you will too! Good luck!!
  • annicins
    Options
    Cymbalta isn't a drug associated with weight gain, actually the reverse. Drugs don't make you gain fat, eating too much makes you gain fat.

Agreed - maybe you should speak to your doc again.
  • monicarcaro
    Options
    I gained 15 pounds in less than a month - no binge eating/anything like that. Cymbalta really hurt me metabolism wise, but I've been maintaining since switching to Welbutrin. Are you going to try another antidepressant?
  • lorielovehailey
    lorielovehailey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I also gained tons of weight on Cymbalta, and my doctor is the one who told me that is a common problem.

I gained 30 pounds in six months.

I got off of it in June. I've lost over 50 pounds. But not just because I got off of Cymbalta. I have changed my whole lifestyle. But I tried to lose weight on Cymbalta and could not make any progress.

Every body is different. Some people lose weight, some gain. We're the unlucky ones, unfortunately.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    You should definitely have consulted your prescribing physician before quitting cold turkey. These types of drugs are not meant to be discontinued this way, and this is why you have the dizziness and other effects. It's going to take quite for your brain to start feeling normal again.

BTW--you may want to revisit that Sobe 0 calorie Life Water--check the label, it's all chemicals. Water is good.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've been on Cymbalta for almost 2 years...no weight gain issues...I"ve actually lost 40+. My provider says weight gain is not a typical side effect of this drug but all meds effect people differently.
  • You cannot quit these types of medications without a taper. Your body has gotten used to taking that medication and is apart of it now and quitting any medication that you've been on for a long period of time can cause serve damage to your body. You need to talk to you doctor and create a taper schedule.
  • muffle1969
    muffle1969 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It really did not occur to me that Cymbalta might contribute to weight gain. Although it should have I suppose, since anything related to seratonin can impact individuals differently in terms of loss/gain.

However, I agree with the poster who said that you can lose weight despite side effects of these drugs. I was on 60mgs of Cymbalta when I started losing a few months back. I only went to 30mgs last week, yet I've lost 30 lbs since 8/17/12.

I also agree with the poster who said it isn't usually a good idea to quit cold turkey. My doc told me to wean off, which is what I'm attempting.

I hope you find the solutions you seek! :)
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Agreed - maybe you should speak to your doc again.

There are lot of medications that cause weight gain. It's even written in their side effects.
    Whether or not it's because the medication actually packs on a few pounds, or because it causes increased appetite...it is the medications fault. I don't know about Cymbalta...but medications will help you pack on weight.

Anyways: With a lot of other posters, I do think you should talk to your doctor. I really hope you didn't quit with out them knowing, as it can be very hazardous to your health. I am not in the same boat, but I do understand to an extent. If you wish to add me, you can. Good luck. :)
  • lorielovehailey
    lorielovehailey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I also changed to Wellbutrin. You should not stop taking Cymbalta cold turkey. You are supposed to taper off.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    It's really good there are so many authorities here, given 1) it took over 10 years for the effects of the 90s antidepressants to come out, and that only after lawsuits, and 2) no one can say PRECISELY how ADs work and what the knock-on effects are on appetite, metabolism, etc, etc, and certainly can't for any individual person.

OP - I was on a different drug, gained weight - almost certain I didn't eat more (but can't be 100% sure). What's for sure is I was never overweight before then, and gained an eight-year-old's worth of poundage (maybe more, don't know what your average 8 year old weighs). Once off, regular exercise/nutrition worked for me.

Really suggest, though, finding help with getting off it. Sounds like you've found at least a message board on the subject, in-person supportive counselling might help too. (A longer taper might be better?)
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    You should be very careful stopping your Cymbalta. That is one of those drugs that can cause you all kinds of problems if you just stop it. Cymbalta should be gradually weaned off. It can make you very sick to just stop it. I would talk to your dr and tell them that you want to stop taking it.

Pam
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I stopped cold turkey after taking 10mg Celexa for three years. I didn't get any withdrawal symptoms at all but my weight hasn't fallen off either.

I don't think it's wise to stop any anti-depressant cold turkey. But I kept "forgetting" to take mine so I said the hell with it.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on Zoloft.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You cannot quit these types of medications without a taper. Your body has gotten used to taking that medication and is apart of it now and quitting any medication that you've been on for a long period of time can cause serve damage to your body. You need to talk to you doctor and create a taper schedule.

^^THIS. An abrupt quit can also wreak havoc with your mood. A multi-week taper is in order.
  • jamielynn020610
    jamielynn020610 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Is Cymbalta and Celexa the same?
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It's really good there are so many authorities here, given 1) it took over 10 years for the effects of the 90s antidepressants to come out, and that only after lawsuits, and 2) no one can say PRECISELY how ADs work and what the knock-on effects are on appetite, metabolism, etc, etc, and certainly can't for any individual person.

Actually nobody is claiming to be an authority. They are just giving their personal experiences with the drug. OP -- I wasn't on Cymbalta, but have a bit of experience with SSRI's and anti-psychotics. I've been on Zoloft for 12 years. Zoloft is an SSRI which Cymbalta is also. I didn't have any problems with Zoloft and gaining weight. Actually, the opposite happened. I do know it can be hell trying to get off of SSRI's. Stopping it cold turkey can cause a rebound effect and you can end up more depressed. Definitely talk to your doctor and work out a tapering schedule. I know you just want to be off of them NOW, but this isn't the type of drug that can be done cold turkey. I hope that this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Is Cymbalta and Celexa the same?

They are pretty much the same thing. Both are SSRI anti-depressants.