Losing Weight after HORRIFIC Cymbalta

Options

Replies

• sandyjwilcox
    sandyjwilcox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Actually any anti depressant is associated with loss or gain of weight !
  • shanzi1002
    shanzi1002 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I suffer from major Anxiety and Depression and I am on 300 mg. I am being brought off the medicine rapidly so start another pill. I have memory loss from the medicine and in November they accidentally lowered my prescription on accident and I tried to kill myself, I just snapped for some reason. My psychologist is changing the med and I dropped to 150 mg for a week and the memory loss got worse and I would find myself getting lost and not knowing where I was going. I would lose my cell phone all the time and I still can't find things in my apt. Today I took 75 mg for a week and now I am extremely dizzy, light headed, and I and numb and can not feel my leg when I touch it, but the worse part is my face, my tongue and throat. I can't taste anything or have no desire to eat. The headaches have been really bad starting from my neck to shoulders. I want off this pill so bad and I hope I can make it through these horrible side affects. I talked with the pharmacist and this apparently is normal and several people have complained of it.

I don't like these pills that take over your body like this. I was put on this medicine by a Family Physician that didn't know how to treat my disorder...

Has anybody else felt like this.. Yes I have lost weight because I have lost my appetite! I have to force myself to drink water
  • CasablancasTX
    Options
    I feel for you on the brain zaps. I went cold turkey on Cymbalta years ago and had the same exact horrible side effect. Unfortunately, it took weeks for them to go away. Hang in there
  • timmyb47
    Options
    I just started Cymbalta three weeks ago with samples from my Dr. for anxiety and depression. Mostly anxiety, I cannot carry a normal conversion in a social setting. I sweat, too nervous. My tone and mood are always off. So for two weeks on the 30mg and now my first week on the 60mg. I also take Lyrica for the Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy, which I have gained weight using it seems mostly from swelling as well as eating too much. However, I starting using myfitnesspal app and for 40 days I have lost 24 pounds. I am male 47. The Lyrica does the trick for the pain. The Cymbalta is working for the anxiety. However...

After reading this board I have to wonder, should I consider tapering back down and stopping the Cymbalta? I understand that this is not an SSRI but an SSNRI. I read the accompanying information pamphlet (with the 2 pt font) paid special attention to the side effects and drug interactions. I am currently experiencing the sexual disfunction side effect, which I just recent discovered. I am surprised no one has mentioned this as my Dr. mentioned this as a common one This is not ED, but complete failure (inability to succeed). So I'm wondering if my weight loss trend were to reverse coupled with the aforementioned side effect, taken together for me would probably be enough to cause me to revert back to being socially awkward, but happily married :)

Or is it to late already. Has the damage been done. How long does it take for this med to mess it up for those who have here claimed to hate it. Oh and the coming down side effects sound absolutely horrific. I ran out of the Lyrica one time for about a month (mail order screw up) and I felt like every organ in my body was terminally ill somehow. Then the package arrived and its all good. No sudden or unexpected latent effects have occurred since then like those quitting the Cymbalta. So I think I may taper off the Cymbalta and hope for the best.

LIke I said 24 pounds and counting!
  • Slmillar
    Slmillar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just recently quit Cymbalta, after being on it for almost 2 years. YES, i did it with Dr supervision and did a taper VERY slowly. IT WAS THE MOST HORRIFIC DRUG THAT I HAVE EVER BEEN ON. I was prescribed for Fibromyalgia after i had a few tests come back positive for Lymes disease. I couldn't stand the side effects of this med, and my doc had me taper slowly. This was COMPLETE hell. However, I am 1 month free of this nasty drug and YES without changing my eating habits, still working out 3-5 days week (cardio/weights) i still managed to put on approx 20lbs. Yes this drug mainly has side effects of weight loss, but there was a percentage that seen weight gain. I can honestly say that I worked out more while i was on the drug since i was feeling better in the beginning, and then still seen a weight gain. You have to remember, all people react to drugs like this category differently. The response that is the good and the bad. So.. I am still loggin onto my fitness pal, trying like heck to get rid of these 20lbs or so i gained while being on it. Granted i need to lose more then 20lbs because I started this approx 2 months after my daughter was born, so I already had baby weight to lose. Nice to see some ppl are supportive on here and are going through the same thing. Lets all update on our progress after stopping this horrible drug.
  • christywarner50
    Options
    I have to say Cymbalta has helped SO MUCH with depression and anxiety - but has made weight loss nearly impossible. But I don't want to go back to being depressed, so stay on it I will, 60mg. been on it 1 year and gained 15 pounds, with exercising 3-4 times per week.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    This may sound harsh but depression can lead to emotional over eating and binge eating. Medication isnt going to cause weight gain. Quitting cold turkey a anti "depression" medication and binge or emotional eating will.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned to correct a previous poster, Cymbalta is an SNRI and NOT an SSRI. Getting off SNRIs like Cymbalta and Effexor can make SSRI withdrawal look like a picnic. Of course, everyone will be different, but it's a bad bad idea to go cold turkey, both due to the potential for physical and mental backlash. Believe me, I understand how urgent it feels to drop a med that could be causing weight gain. I have been there myself, and I'm there now, but sometimes other things are more important. I am currently on Cymbalta, and while it has been just shy of weight neutral for me (just a few extra pounds), I'm not sure if it is one of the medications that is stalling my weight loss efforts. I'm on other medications as well that are much more known for weight gain, so I really can't be sure at this point.

I would suggest talking to your doctor about your concerns. They should be willing to work with you to trial a taper off and see how you do. If they are not taking your concerns seriously, especially if it's more than a few pounds, then find another doctor who will.
  • janesaiz
    Options
    Since Cymbalta is an SNRI:Selective Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors (SNRIs) which means it allows more serotonin and NOREPINEPHRINE to be taken in by the receptors (the reuptakers are inhibited so there is more of the desired left present). So, it acts on 2 brain chemical actions. Your weight gain/ loss will depend on what your levels were of BOTH of these prior to and post usage. And yes, anything that works on these two things will impact sleep/ wake cycle, mood, eating/ hunger etc. as those chemicals are also involved in those processes.
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    You should NOT be quitting anti-depressant medication cold turkey, that's a terrible idea. You should be slowly tapering off, the brain zaps are part of the wihdrawals. I suggest you go back to your doctor and discuss your concerns with weight gain since taking the medication and see what other treatment options are available for you.
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hello pals,

I was hoping that if I post this I can get some really great advice and possibly acquire some new friends that are in the same boat as me or who have overcome this horrible drug Cymbalta.

I had been on Cymbalta 60 mg for about a year and a half now (Weight didn't start appearing until after a year on the pill) and just quit cold turkey when I realized that these 25-35 pounds I put on was because of a DAMN drug that was supposed to help me. I reviewed and revised my healthy lifestlye and exercise plan so much and I am still wasn't getting anywhere near the same results I had gotten before when I got skinny and toned.

I had originally attributed my weight gain to a seriously horrific breakup, surgery, and my unconcious eating habits. Once all of those had subsided I hadn't been able to change my body. A few pounds up and down on the scale don't make that much of a difference to me when my body isn't "changing".

I can't fit my old clothes at all!!!!!! :sad:

Like I said I quit cold turkey 5 days ago and only have brain zaps, tingling and stuff in arms, hands, and feet periodically.

I take Dramamine for dizziness, 5 HTP for my mood, and am drinking tons of water and Sobe 0 calorie Life water.

Oh for energy I am taking Super B Complex and L-carnatine.

Fish oil and Vitamins for health.

Please let me know your experiences ; good, bad, or indifferent.

Definitely let me know when I can possibly see that scale moving again...I am trying to lose weight like limbs since I have realized this CULPRIT!!!!!!

Thanks in advance for your support on this. :heart:

I kicked Cymbalta to the curb after 3 months. I was PAINFULLY and INCESSANTLY hungry. I could feel it making wanna shovel everything into my face! :mad:
    All the best! It can be done!
  • christywarner50
    Options
    these people who say Cymbalta doesn't make you gain weight have not been on it obviously - I have gained 15 pounds on it in a year, and although I'm happier, I don't feel as good about my body. I exercise and eat well but cannot lose weight. and YES, a medication CAN make you gain weight. I'm considering getting off all meds and de-toxing but will have to do it in a hospital bc getting off Cymbalta can make someone suicidal quickly.
  • notebookgirl68
    Options
    Cymbalta is absolutely attributed to weight gain. I was told by my doctor the day he put me on it "you can be thin or you can be sane. You can't have your cake and eat it too." I was so upset but my life was in a serious downward spiral after my previous doctor had prescribed a near fatal drug combo. I took the Cymbalta hoping for sanity and minimal weight gain. A year and 5 months later I have gained about 65 lbs. I am a gastric bypass patient. In 2006 I went from 320 down to 142 in 2007. So please forgive me if I don't agree with you folks that say it's not the drug. I STILL eat like a gastric bypass patient. I can't eat full or even half meals. Since I stopped taking this med about a month ago I have begun to see some weight loss. I'm down 11 lbs and counting. My energy is up, my mind feels clearer and when I reach the point that I'm full I get the old signs again. I have 3 friends who have had the same experience with the same drug. Never gain will I blindly take a drug just because it's the new thing. I know my body and I will take care of it. I'm juicing, exercising, have a great support system and a healthy encouraging work environment, we can heal ourselves in some areas. This is mine. Don't give up!
  • Bettyanne77
    Options
    I can relate to this as I am on medication for a neurological illness and it does cause weight gain, in fact while I was never skinny I relate my major gains to being on various medications all of which list weight gain as a major side effect. In my experiance they do make you more lethargic and increase your hunger especially for carbs but I also believe they cause weight gain on a metabolic level which is very difficult to deal with. Beta blockers are shown to lead to weight gain even if your activity levels and diet stay the same for example.

It really is an extra challenge to be on medication.
  • dark17light
    Options
    I too made the mistake of cymbalta (among other antidepressants) and suffered and it is hard to explain if it was a direct link from the meds to the weight gain or indirect. The one thing I can tell you is patience is required! I have always been thin not skinny mind you but thin. The kind of thin where you would not be admonished for wanting to better control your eating and exercising habits, but thin enough to where no one would ever recommend it either. Say with in 10-15# of skinny. Most commonly I would weigh 125 so when I climbed on the scale at Weight Watchers and heard " ok so starting off weight is 186.8 " I don't think I actually inhaled again for at least 2 minutes.

Long story short there was no quick fix. I found that my metabolism was so stunted from the meds which don't cause weight gain that I'm pretty sure the first 6 months of WW was just resetting my metabolism. It took me 6 months to lose 20#. The good news is after that my beautiful new metabolism started kicking butt! I lost 25# in the next 2.5 months, doing all the same things and for the most part it was a breeze at that point. I just followed my tracking and points, showed up for the meetings & walked my dog - a lot!

I wish I could give you a short cut but I learned when it comes to my mood I trust vitamins, minerals & lots of amino acids - God bless all the people who have benefited from antidepressant medication but for me no sir. I will get my therapy through my running shoes and my mood support through my B-complex. I will say my best friend swears by his antidepressant & he is amazing. So each person does need to find their way with the support of their medical provider.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Cymbalta isn't a drug associated with weight gain, actually the reverse. Drugs don't make you gain fat, eating too much makes you gain fat.
  • jms350
    jms350 Posts: 4
    Options
    I was on Cymbalta for years with no weight gain. One medication that did make me gain weight was seroquel. My doctor prescribed it for me to sleep in a very high dosage and I packed the pounds on. 40 in 6 months and another 10 over the next 6 months trying to get off of it. It was highly addictive. I'm not on medications anymore. Too many side effects!
  • marydicos
    Options
    I just read all your stories regarding cymbalta. Here is mine. I have had 3 back surgeries and cymbalta was given to me for pain. I have put on 38lbs. I cannot say for sure if cymbalta has caused this as I am less active due to the back issues. Last week I missed a dose and found my body tingling and I was quickly upset..I did not contribute this to the cymbalta until today when the pharmacy called and said I have to take duloxetine. I started looking up info on this and I was totally frightened by what I have read. OMG, the side effects of getting off cymbalta are similar to getting off hard drugs. I read this from doctors posts. It even said missing one day can cause issues. So there it was the reason I was having a problem last week due to missing my dose. I take 60m and now I have to make a decision to get off or change to the generic. I just want to get off so today I went without it. Tomorrow I am going to take one and do this for a week. Then I thought I would start with half pills every other day. I sure hope I can do this. And no I have not talked to my doctor I decided to do this on my own. From what I read today this drug is horrible. I already take 1-2 viodins a day for pain so why the heck I was put on this is beyond me. Wish me luck on weaning off and wish me luck on my weight loss. I just signed up on this site today and I am going to try to get the 38lbs off...1lb at a time. Good luck to all of you on getting off this drug and good luck on getting to your weight loss goal.
  • romatoma
    Options
    To the orginal poster, can you tell us how your weight loss has been? Success?
    Ofcourse, everyone has their own opinion. Let me tell you about myself.
    I am 34 years old, and started to have horrible anxiety when I was 24/25. I am 5'9" and was 145. No kids, working out, etc. I tried every single SSRI including Cymbalta. I sticked with Lexapro and went up to 170 (this is from 145). Lexapro seemed to have worked great, and I went to 209. This is ridiculous. I have taken out soy, dairy, alcohol, gluten, sugar, etc. I have been on daily burn working out 6 days a week. I eat 1600 calories a day. Enough is enough.
    The problem originally started for insomnia and now I am so self-conscience, it is insane. On the BMI scale, I am obese!!! I quit the Lexapro cold turkey though can't etch it in stone. My sleep last night was not bad. If I can continue with normal sleep without taking meds, I'm going to.
  • flikster76
    flikster76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I gained weight also and all attempts to lose it, including 2x30 day shred resulted in a small amount loss that jumped straight back on. I am currently on day 10 of Cymbalta withdrawal. The drug is a cruel joke and should be banned. Go to cymbaltawithdrawal.com I am finding it a great help. Goodluck.