Losing Weight after HORRIFIC Cymbalta

Options

Replies

• brnsgrsbody
    brnsgrsbody Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    DId you consult your doctor when you decided to stop taking Cymbalta?

Medication doesn't make your body add fat to it. It may cause water retention of an increased appetite. You can lose weight on medications.

It isn't always healthy to just stop a drug... I'm hoping you spoke with your doctor about this decision.

I begged them to put me on Wellbutrin so I am supposed to meet with the Psychiatrist next week.

The way I am used to my body changing with exercise and good nutrition even if I decided to eat a donut and some ice cream are not the same responses I was getting pre-Cymbalta.

I beg to differ that meds don't do SOMETHING to you.......
  • brnsgrsbody
    Options
    Cymbalta isn't a drug associated with weight gain, actually the reverse. Drugs don't make you gain fat, eating too much makes you gain fat.

Understand your comments. I never said I was "Perfect" but even when I am normally not perfect in my eating Pre-Cymbalta I could exercise more and eat better the next meal.

Right now I might lose 3-4 pounds and then my body fat doesn't move. I might get to feel a few more muscles but that bodyfat isn't shedding.
  • brnsgrsbody
    Options
    I gained about 20 pounds within in the first 3-4 months that I was on Cymbalta.....after my doctor took me off of it I was sort of expecting the weight to come off as quickly as it came on but unfortunately that was not the case. It took severl months of hard work but I finally got there and I'm sure you will too! Good luck!!

Thank you!!!! I am not opposed to hard work and dedication as long as that **** getting results.
  • brnsgrsbody
    Options
    I gained 15 pounds in less than a month - no binge eating/anything like that. Cymbalta really hurt me metabolism wise, but I've been maintaining since switching to Welbutrin. Are you going to try another antidepressant?

YEP....^^^^That one you're on.....
  • brnsgrsbody
    Options
    I also gained tons of weight on Cymbalta, and my doctor is the one who told me that is a common problem.

I gained 30 pounds in six months.

I got off of it in June. I've lost over 50 pounds. But not just because I got off of Cymbalta. I have changed my whole lifestyle. But I tried to lose weight on Cymbalta and could not make any progress.

Every body is different. Some people lose weight, some gain. We're the unlucky ones, unfortunately.

We sound just alike and I am not opposed to a changed lifestyle. That's one I live. I mean I look at some food and want to throwup. Now there are days when I have been bad and it's like I couldn't shake them like before Cymbalta.

I know what I feel and who I am . I am not gonna let some of these folk on here get me down trying to actike I sit around eating Fried chicken and cornbread all day. I don't!

Hope we can be friends I need support!!!!
  • brnsgrsbody
    Options
    You should definitely have consulted your prescribing physician before quitting cold turkey. These types of drugs are not meant to be discontinued this way, and this is why you have the dizziness and other effects. It's going to take quite for your brain to start feeling normal again.

BTW--you may want to revisit that Sobe 0 calorie Life Water--check the label, it's all chemicals. Water is good.

Ok will prob just hit up the water like I normally do.
  • brnsgrsbody
    Options
    It really did not occur to me that Cymbalta might contribute to weight gain. Although it should have I suppose, since anything related to seratonin can impact individuals differently in terms of loss/gain.

However, I agree with the poster who said that you can lose weight despite side effects of these drugs. I was on 60mgs of Cymbalta when I started losing a few months back. I only went to 30mgs last week, yet I've lost 30 lbs since 8/17/12.

I also agree with the poster who said it isn't usually a good idea to quit cold turkey. My doc told me to wean off, which is what I'm attempting.

I hope you find the solutions you seek! :)

Awesome!!! I am glad you have been able to lose weight. I am gonna add you.
  • DentalFreak
    Options
    To the people who keep saying that meds don't cause weight gain, and that it is fat intake that causes it: I understand your position, but not everybody is the same. I am in the same boat as brnsgrsbody... I have been on Cymbalta probably for 6 years now... I started it initially because I had a severe fear of eating in public, which was making me super malnourished and underweight. At first, I thought that the weight gain was from being able to eat more regularly without fear, and it wasn't such a bad thing at first. However, after gaining about 20lbs, I decided to try to maintain my weight by exercising and eating healthier. That was like 4 years ago, and I have steadily gained weight. Total, I have probably put on over 50lbs, all the while I have been exercising vigorously 4-5 days a week and monitoring my caloric intake. Its incredibly frustrating, and I feel like I would honestly rather be afraid again than be this unhealthy. I am on my 2nd day without Cymbalta (my doctor told me I could stop it)... kinda nauseous and having the "brain zaps" that people describe... I have experienced this before when I occaisonally forgot to take the medicine. But I am so sick of desparately trying to lose weight and only gaining... I really hope this works, because it is my last resort.
  • BorderlineAngel
    Options
    I gained 25lbs in a month whilst on it.
    get your metabolism, and thyroid levels checked. My thyroid was always fine but is now screwed.

I was eating HALF what I used to eat and exercising MORE. Add me :)
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'm on Cymbalta. And honestly? I found it severely helped me lose weight, because it took away my munchies. Everyone reacts differently I suppose, though usually the Cymbalta horror stories I hear are about people who can't manage to eat anything on it. ::shrug:: My experience has been positive for the past year or so.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Um, you really shouldn't be quitting your meds cold turkey...if at all.. without consulting your doctor.
  • ToFatToBeSick
    Options
    I hate brain zaps. Lasts about 2 weeks. I gained a lot with Bipolar meds and lost 86 since I went off.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    That's horrible. I have a friend that stopped taking cymbalta and she had a really hard time for about a month with withdrawels. She had also gained a lot of weight while on it, and it took her about a year and a half to lose the 40 pounds that she had gained on it. But she did it! Hang in there, and maybe see a doctor!
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I take Cymbalta currently and for many years. I am losing weight just fine while on it. I had gained a lot of weight over time because I didn't realize what I was eating, but too because I have multiple chronic illnesses.

Wish you the best - but I do think along with others, you should discuss with your doctor in case there are problems that happen when coming off of it.
  • JezziedotM
    JezziedotM Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello pals,

I was hoping that if I post this I can get some really great advice and possibly acquire some new friends that are in the same boat as me or who have overcome this horrible drug Cymbalta.

I had been on Cymbalta 60 mg for about a year and a half now (Weight didn't start appearing until after a year on the pill) and just quit cold turkey when I realized that these 25-35 pounds I put on was because of a DAMN drug that was supposed to help me. I reviewed and revised my healthy lifestlye and exercise plan so much and I am still wasn't getting anywhere near the same results I had gotten before when I got skinny and toned.

I had originally attributed my weight gain to a seriously horrific breakup, surgery, and my unconcious eating habits. Once all of those had subsided I hadn't been able to change my body. A few pounds up and down on the scale don't make that much of a difference to me when my body isn't "changing".

I can't fit my old clothes at all!!!!!! :sad:

Like I said I quit cold turkey 5 days ago and only have brain zaps, tingling and stuff in arms, hands, and feet periodically.

I take Dramamine for dizziness, 5 HTP for my mood, and am drinking tons of water and Sobe 0 calorie Life water.

Oh for energy I am taking Super B Complex and L-carnatine.

Fish oil and Vitamins for health.

Please let me know your experiences ; good, bad, or indifferent.

Definitely let me know when I can possibly see that scale moving again...I am trying to lose weight like limbs since I have realized this CULPRIT!!!!!!

Thanks in advance for your support on this. :heart:

I don't know about the weight side of it, but I just to say how those brain zaps are the WORST feeling ever. I never used cymbalta, but coming off lexapro was a test of patience. I couldn't handle the zaps so it took me months to reduce my dose down to a point where I could stop.

So yeah, off topic. Oops *blush*
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I really, really strongly suggest that you don't go straight from 60 mg to 0. SSRI withdrawal syndrome is a miserable, miserable thing that I would not wish on my worst enemy. Your psychiatrist will probably have you drop cymbalta while slowly increasing another med, and this is much, much safer.

I seem to be one of those rare people who almost never gets the bad side effects. Ironically, Wellbutrin was the only psych med that actually made things worse for me, and Cymbalta has me happy as a lark. We all have different brain and body chemistry, though, so I hope that Wellbutrin works as well for you as Cymbalta does for me.
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    I did not read all the replies... Mostly because I have no experience with cymbalta and it seemed like it was turning into a shouting match, haha. What caught my eye though is that I take some of the same supplements as you! I thought I'd add that Sam-E is also really good for mood. I only take 5 HTP periodically (when mood is extra down/ I know I'm having some extra stress or whatever) but I pretty much stay on the Sam-E all the time.

Good luck, hope this was helpful :)
  • letizia1006
    Options
    I was mis diagnosed with fibromyalgia and put on Cymbalta. I felt great while on it, but I had to change Dr's because of insurance . She did a full blood work up and switched me to Welbutrim so I wouldn't crash coming off of Cymbalta. I've been miserable . I put on 25lbs in the three months since I came off Cymbalta . I'm on myfitnesspal and track my calorie intake. I exercise regularly, at least 4 times week. I golf and only walk the course. I started to train for a 60 mile bike tour. I thought I had a thyroid issue. All my blood work came in perfect , but why the weight gain!!!! The last time I was this heavy i had a baby!!! What's worse I have never been depressed or suffered from anxiety . NONE of my clothes fit, NOW I'm depressed . I keep covering my self up with sweaters . Oh course this had to happen the summer of my daughters graduation from HS and my nieces wedding, so lots a pictures to avoid!!
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Medications are a cost/benefit thing... For my partner, the benefit of not becoming so depressed that he might suicide is worth any potential weight gain from taking Cymbalta. Likewise, I stated a migraine pill with a very bad reputation for weight gain side effects, but the benefit of not being in chronic pain EVERY SINGLE DAY overrode my concerns.

Your mental health is really important. If you stop taking your meds and your mood is effected, it's going to be much harder to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on Zoloft.
    Yeah me too but than switched to Lexapro (20 mg)