1200 calories = more likely to have problems?

Options

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    The default settings assume a lot more knowledge than is typical and should be changed to something reasonable (that accommodates starting weights). There's so much lousy information, not everyone's inclined to do their research, people usually want to lose weight at funny times in their lives, sometimes for funny reasons.. MFP should err on the side of caution. I even feel it's an obligation.

That 1200 is like a Florida chad.
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    1200 calories - always more problems. I know loads of people in my workplace who are always on a diet, and taking up endless cardio etc, but I eat more and still weigh less than them. So yes, trying to eat an unrealistic amount will set yourself up for failure. To me the crash diets seem like the dieters are trying to punish their bodies for whatever flaws they think they have.

In my opinion, it's better to log your consumption of food for a few weeks and totally ignore setting any goal, then look at your average calorie consumption, and reduce it by a small percentage. You can't plan a route, unless you know your starting place.
  • PeteTheRef
    Options
    Remember, weight loss is not linear; it tends to go in cycles. If you start at 264lbs then you are already carrying a lot of muscle just to stand up. Muscle is heavier than fat. As you exercise you tend to add more muscle. so you may be losing fat but staying the same weight. It's OK! Try not to do a crash diet; that will make you unwell and in worst cases can be dangerous. The process is gradual and meaningful. Your weight alone is not the issue. Your weight and your fat percentage are the two key elements. Athletes, especially rugby players and American football players, have a BMI that is off the scale; no-one is saying the are overweight or unhealthy. So, be concerned to get your fat percentage within range for normal (18% to 24.9%), and be concerned to get your waist down to 50% of your height if you are muscular.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I think most of you understood what I was trying to say.

For the others that are insistent that 1200 is the *only* way to accomplish your goals...if you ultimately reach and maintain, then awesome. No, really...congrats. However, if it doesn't work out for you, don't give up entirely. Instead, reconsider your conclusion that 1200 is the *only* path. (In the words of a wise old philosopher, "There is another.")

I don't have much to add because for me due to size and weight 1700 a day is 2lbs a week and I've been losing it faster, and lots of inches......................

I just got excited by the Star Wars reference there. That is all.

Hello, I am a bit sick of 1300 calories when I'm not completely sure its enough for my body. How did you work out the amount you need?

Thanks and well done x
    Your weight x 9-12 = total calories
    You can start with 1g/lb of body weight or realistic goal weight.
    Fat .25-50 g/lb

Fill the rest of your calories in with carbs.
  • dolphinblu63
    Options
    im on 1200 an feel great not over full just comfy, but i also drink heaps of water, all day an i have my 2 redbak protein shakes a day to, 2 fruit, for dinna 120g chicken with 5green vegie, an gym 5days aweek
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    im on 1200 an feel great not over full just comfy, but i also drink heaps of water, all day an i have my 2 redbak protein shakes a day to, 2 fruit, for dinna 120g chicken with 5green vegie, an gym 5days aweek
    Where is your room to make changes, when you reach that plateau?
  • stubbseyt
    stubbseyt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i think that Dr Atkins had a point when he said that when something stops working for you - change it! He obviously was plugging the low carb way but in his book he said if you plateau then go onto low fat for a while just to change it up, and then when that stops working for yu go back to low carb..

i quite liked that honesty, not like companies like weight watchers, slimming world and the like who only have a vested interest in selling you their diet and their products.

i plateaued on weight watchers, switched back to atkins and been doing great, when i plateaued a bit on atkins i introduced intermittent fasting... not for everyone i know, but i only do it 2 days a week so its easy. I think we all get in ruts and get comfortable eating the same old things that worked for us before, if your hungry on 1200 calories do some low carb the hunger will go away!
  • dolphinblu63
    Options
    im on that so i have added 15mins on the cross trainer, an machine weights, an when it happens again i will change my food agaain an swim 1klm aday at the gym with 20mins on bike ive worked it out ahead of time so i can just keep going to my goal weight
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Some of us are Hobbits and are just fine eating a low (but healthy?) amount of calories.

Not everyone is a Hobbit. If you're hungry eat. Easy, right?

Yup. I'm 4'11". I do just fine on 1200 calories.
  • MayonnaiseJane
    MayonnaiseJane Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Are the folks who are having problems going to 1200 manually, or is that what they're being recommended? If manually, there's the problem. The recommendations are there to make sure you don't go into starvation mode....
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    yep. its cuz its the lowest MFP can set goals too when people are impatient and set this 2lb loss a week... and dont eat back excercise cals... no one is meant to eat that low especially if working out!
  • MayonnaiseJane
    Options
    Where are people setting this "per week" thing? I just told it how much I weigh now, and how much I want to, and the thingy decided I'm going to loose 0.8lbs a week.... I didn't decide that. It's an awfully strange number to pick, but I'll suppose it defaults to 1lb per week, but got stopped by the 1200 limit... *shrugs.*

But really is it so hard to believe that some people are just small in build and that's enough for them?
  • MayonnaiseJane
    Options
    Some of us are Hobbits and are just fine eating a low (but healthy?) amount of calories.

^^^ This.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    1200 is actually what works for me. If I want to see results, I have to go down to 1200 calories per day. It's hard, but it's worth it!

You're too young to be eating so little. Even IF you are really 18, you're still growing.
  • 2rnip
    2rnip Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've set my limit to 1800, but I've been on or close to 1200 for the last 90 days. I don't snack. I've started weighting over 320lbs and am now down by 40. I have the motivation and I have the strength, these are two most important factors. If a fat man like me can do it, anyone can do it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I've set my limit to 1800, but I've been on or close to 1200 for the last 90 days. I don't snack. I've started weighting over 320lbs and am now down by 40. I have the motivation and I have the strength, these are two most important factors. If a fat man like me can do it, anyone can do it.

did MFP set you at 1200?

With so many people set at 1200, and seemingly of all weights and heights. how can this be?
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options

I'm also 4'11" and I have no problem with 1200. I have no trouble with snacking, and I do get to 1300 on the rare occasion, but yeah.. I'm still losing weight, PLUS I have thyroid issues, which makes it a little harder.

Each to their own, I suppose :smile:
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    MFP did set me up at 1250 cal from 1350 cals and I put it back. Even if I exercise most days, I like to go under everyday, so in days when I am traveling or have meetings, or it's raining -like yesterday-, I must stick to my cal budget. With pleasant surprises. I had fried eggs plus fruit at breakfast, a wrap of pork loin at lunch and a 30 cm diameter pizza made out of a large pitta bread with chicken and that was 1191 cals the whole day!
    The answer: yesterday I didn't have time for snacking...
  • 2rnip
    2rnip Posts: 49 Member
    Options

did MFP set you at 1200?

With so many people set at 1200, and seemingly of all weights and heights. how can this be?

no, MFP set me to 1800 as it's their minimum I think. however I decided to take a bit more radical approach and reduced it. so far, so good, I can't say I have no energy or I'm tired of it, sometimes the cravings are strong but I am stronger :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

did MFP set you at 1200?

no, MFP set me to 1800 as it's their minimum I think. however I decided to take a bit more radical approach and reduced it. so far, so good, I can't say I have no energy or I'm tired of it, sometimes the cravings are strong but I am stronger :)

you will lose weight with a LOW calorie diet (over 20% deficit) but you will be losing muscle mass faster than you might think. Be careful dude.