Merina IUD-5 yr. with Hormones (plastic)

Options
So I am scheduled to have this done on this Wed at 3pm. I am soooo scared because of all the stories I have heard negative about this thing...I don't want it to cause my weight gain for sure because I am trying to loose weight. Don't want the acne or mood swings or anything else but right now it is my least invasive option for my TOM being so bad. I don't think I want the Novasure just yet and I sure don't want the Hysterectomy right now so I am wanting to give the Merina a try. I am thinking if it doesn't work, they can always remove it. I just have heard sooo many horror stories that I am literally scared to death. I have heard some good about it but MOSTLY all negative. Anyone have it and what is your intake on it ? I do realize everyone is different, but now that my time has come..I am terrified!!

Replies

• Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    The people who talk the most are the ones with bad experiences.

I got Mirena back in the summer and had spotting for awhile on and off but I think my body has adjusted because I have not had a period in a couple months. My acne has got better after about a month and I do not have mood swings like I did on the pill. Everyones body is different, give it a try and if you do not like it you can always have it removed.
  • kristyb1982
    kristyb1982 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena put in this June. I haven't had any problems at all. I have had some minor cramping and have had some spotting, but that's it. I've still been able to lose weight and haven't gotten the dreaded acne. It's been a great choice for me, and I hope it is for you, too!
  • blwalton70
    blwalton70 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have had my IUD in for over 2 months now and really love it. I do have occational spotting and cramping after working out or sex. I have read all the horror stories too, but you have to remember that everyone is different and most of the women on here who got the IUD got it put in soon after having a baby, which, let's face it, is a total battle on it's own with out adding Birth Control! This was the best option for me because pills spike my estrogen and make me super crazy and the Nuva Ring was super expensive. Go with your gut on this one. Every medical procedure and medication have side effects, a medication or procedure can't be on the market with out them. Most are rare and far between, but that is the risk..... good luck on this fun journey we call "womanhood" awe, to just be a dude....
  • 86rollyb
    86rollyb Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think a lot of people use the Mirena as an excuse. I had mine placed shortly after my daughter was born and you can see by my ticker that it has not stopped me from losing weight. It hurt a bit being put in, I cramped for about 20 minutes & spotted on and off for 2 or 3 weeks (not major bleeding or anything) and for the past 3 months I've pretty much forgotten I even had it which is precisely what I want from birth control :)
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I know we had this discussion already a while back, but I think you'll love it! I have one period every couple of years...and the side effects are said to only occur in about 2-5% of people...it's very rare to experience any of them...I never have. The weight gain for me was related to something else...not the IUD...it's great and I wouldn't use any other form of BC!
  • kekevela
    kekevela Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I got the Mirena in 2007 after I hand my second child, and I just got it removed earlier this year. It did for me exactly what I wanted it to do - gave me 5 years to decide if I want another child or not, and I didn't have to think about birth control. For me, it was the best method. I didn't have any issue with it.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I had it for years and never had a problem with it.
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I had my Mirena put in almost 2 years ago. I don't really get a period anymore. YAY! I also have notice a bit of acne but nothing major. I have been losing weight with no problem.
  • mackzaj
    Options
    I've had one for 6 years and not one issue. For me, it works well.
  • Polparrot
    Polparrot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Best thing I ever did with regard to TOM. I had some pain the day after and spotting for two months....nothing since! (18 months now)
    No weight gain, no acne flares (at 42 i´m still prone to acne) and no mood swings, go for it x
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MY MIRENA.

I've lost weight since I've gotten it (well, I've also being actually trying to lose weight!). Unlike the pill it is ONLY ONE hormone (progesterin) and doesn't have any estrogen. And it's super low doses anyway, so it shouldn't have many side effects anyway.

My periods are super-super light. I had no problems with insertion (pop an ibuprofen beforehand). And I'm baby proof for 5 years. AWWWW YEEEAAAAH. 24, never been pregnant before.
  • Humbugsftw
    Humbugsftw Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me happier because I am thinking about getting it (whilst I love my pill, my schedule is getting more hectic and I'm worried about forgetting to take one, plus I've been getting erratic spotting for a while which is bugging me). I'm a nulliparous woman, I've heard good things about mirena even being used on women who have not had kids :)
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The people who talk the most are the ones with bad experiences.

I got Mirena back in the summer and had spotting for awhile on and off but I think my body has adjusted because I have not had a period in a couple months. My acne has got better after about a month and I do not have mood swings like I did on the pill. Everyones body is different, give it a try and if you do not like it you can always have it removed.

That is my experience as well. I have not had any problems but, like you said, every is different.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Get the Paragard instead if you're worried. I really like that one, plus it lasts ten years, and no hormones.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've had mine since March and love it. I had some minor cramping for a few weeks after and occasionally every now and then. I still "PMS" but its nowhere close to what I had before I got it, I just get some of the same food cravings and maybe get a little irritable, but nothing bad. I also had PMDD REALLY REALLY bad before I went on birth control, so I'll take a minor irritability over wanting to go stab some random person because they looked at me lol. I have noticed my hair sheds more, but I haven't noticed any thinning, so I don't really care besides that I have to vacuum more often! I love it though, and compared to what I was paying for Nuva Ring its crazy cheap!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Why would it cause weight gain? It's localized hormones, not a pill.
  • Polparrot
    Polparrot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I haven´t had children and it´s been great for me
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    They have IUDs without hormones. Ask your doctor about it if you are worried.
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Got it a year ago! Love it so far! I had some general cramping for about 2 months, then it got even easier as far as that goes. I haven't had an actual period at all! Some months I spot but mostly nothing. I did get breast tenderness which I never had before but that's even gotten easier. I did gain about 10 lbs but it's just the hormone in it that makes you eat more. If you can control the eating, you won't gain any weight. !!! Good luck!