Merina IUD-5 yr. with Hormones (plastic)

Options

Replies

• petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Get the Paragard instead if you're worried. I really like that one, plus it lasts ten years, and no hormones.

I second this.

It's the hormones in birth control that make women crazy or turn us into the hungriest creatures ever to walk the Earth.
    Because of these issues, I have Paraguard - doctor recomended.

I gained weight on a couple BC pills and I have not gained weight on this nor have I had any trouble losing it **when I'm actually trying**

Good luck!
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    ALSO..another thing I don't like is that I have to have it done during that TOM and that makes me sooo uncomfy just thinking about it. So does that mean since I normally go 7 days it is gone drag to more days once I get this done Wed?

maybe/maybe not. But please if they tell you to take some Advil beforehand DO IT.
    Eeep I do not deal well with cramping pain - Advil helps a great deal.
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    ALSO..another thing I don't like is that I have to have it done during that TOM and that makes me sooo uncomfy just thinking about it. So does that mean since I normally go 7 days it is gone drag to more days once I get this done Wed?

Get ready for too much information!

It actually shortened my period. "Opening the floodgates," as it were, for its insertion was pretty messy! But all of that escaped fluid meant my TOM was really short, and it's been crazy short/light every since then (apart from a little bit of extra spotting the first month).
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I have one, my second one actually, first one for five years then had a new one put in right away. I have not had any issues with it, I love it. I did not gain weight with it, and I have been losing just fine with it. I don't have my period but I was very light before I got it. Good luck
  • carfamily08
    Options
    I am one of the rare exceptions to bad Mirena experiences, but I do know plenty of girls who have loved it. I've always had issues with hormonal birth control though so it probably has to do more with how my body responded to the hormones than the Mirena itself. I have a Paraguard now (no hormones) and am much happier with that option.

As far as my insertion experience went, no pain at all - I was almost 8 weeks post partum and took the recommended ibuprofen first and barely felt a thing :)
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I just want to let you know something: the Merina IUD has literally CHANGED MY LIFE. I use to be an extremely heavy bleeder, and it kinda interfered with my daily acitivies. I would spot for like a week, then bleed heavy for a week, I was so depressed. I tried the patch and the pill, both bloated me, and messed with my hormones. Plus, I take meds for bipolar, and I would get even more mood swings when on the patches and pill.

So Dr. put me on the Mirena. I was scared too, esp when she told me that not having ever had a baby it would hurt becuase they have to insert the device through my cervix, but it didn't at all. I thought it would elminate my period altogether (it did for my friend), but it didn't and I was dissappointed at first. My period was still a little heavy the first two months, but ever since (it's been over a year now) my periods last about 4 days, and are lighter than they have ever been. Also, my PMS has died down as well. When I work out and eat healthy it helps too.

One NEGATIVE THING..SORRY so explicit, To be honest, maybe this is a little forward, I hope you don't mind, but it kinda ruined my sex life in the beginning. There is a little wire that hangs down from the cervix, and top of vagina. And even though they snipped it, my past boyfriend felt it poke, and it hurt him. Luckily over time it curled up, but still, it frightened him and was extremely unsettling to me. But this is a rare issue.

So yeah, I TOTALLY recommend it!!! I had no side effects and it has changed my life. I hope you love it too.......
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Also, another thing, sorry so many comments. It dint' cause me to gain weight or bloat like the pill and patch did. And...it's like 99% effective against getting pregnant. Which I was always afraid of happening. Even more than say, the pill which you can forget to take, or the patch which always falls off. And the nuva ring, i hated the idea of putting my hand up there lol
  • ggsmamma
    ggsmamma Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Get the Paragard instead if you're worried. I really like that one, plus it lasts ten years, and no hormones.

I agree. Why risk the hormones? I have the copper paragard & it's been great.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I agree. Why risk the hormones? I have the copper paragard & it's been great.

She said she needs to control heavy periods. One of the most common side effects of Paraguard is that it can make periods heavier. Not an option for the OP.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    They don't actually have to do it during TOM. Mine was inserted when I wasn't having a period. However, it's possible to have a 6-month-long period after you get it, though it's mostly light spotting.

I had that happen. I thought something was wrong and called the doc and she said it's normal. I also didn't start having real problem until about two years in. I started gaining right away, but was able to lose (far more slowly than previously). Then in the second year, it became impossible to lose weight. The last four weeks I had it, I gained every week despite watching every bite I ate and exercising.

But, again, I know plenty of women who had no issues with it, so there's no guarantee either way. Does the pill not lighten your periods?
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I was happy with mine in the beginning, but after my periods stopped it just didn't feel right anymore. I don't feel it had any impact on my weight (I was fat before I got it), but I do believe it negatively impacted my sex drive. I decided to have it removed after 4 years and my husband had a vasectomy.

Good luck! I think the vast majority of women are nothing but happy with it.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Why would it cause weight gain? It's localized hormones, not a pill.

Do you really think your body works this way? My uterus isn't made of plastic or steel...

Anyway, my sister and I were two of the rare bad reactions. However, I agree that it is a great option for most women and almost all of the women I know with it are happy campers. One note though, if you decide to get it, please try the Canadian Mirena site for a more comprehensive list of side effects and monitor any reaction(s) you may have carefully. Good luck!
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I've had my Mirena in since September 2008. It took about 6 months for my periods to stop. I think since then I've only had a tiny handful of 2-4 day periods that were nothing more than random breakthrough bleeding, the majority being fairly recent. I think it may be because I've got less than a year til my next one so the hormones might be slowly on their way out.

The insertion was very uncomfortable, not going to lie. They have to dilate your cervix so it basically makes you feel like you're in labor. But it's over very quick if your gyno is good. They usually want you to rest at home the remainder of the day.

I didn't really gain any weight on it. Everything I gained, I gained because I got lazy and didn't exercise. The only time I get mood swings is when I'm normally supposed to be getting PMS right before my period, and that's very short-lived. I've had a perfectly fine experience with mine and will be getting another next year unless we plan on a second baby before then.
  • xkdrowex
    xkdrowex Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had to have it removed after 6 months because I spotted or bled a little every. single. day. ... I also felt bloated PMSsy just about every. single. day. the whole 6 months. Didn't gain any weight... but it didn't work out good for me I didn't like feeling that way and I was sick of spotting.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for 6 years. I have gained weight but there are other reasons that could have happened. When I went to take it out and change it last year, the threads had disappeared, after lots of trips to the doc, hospital and clinic and scans, it is embedded and won't come out. I will have to have an operation to remove it but for the time being the are leaving it where it is. i have very little bleeding maybe a spot every 2 months and otherwise it has been ok. The hormones were a bit difficult to start with but I've normalised now!
    Beware if you have fibroids you are at risk from it becoming embedded.
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    To the OP- I have had 2 Merinas.

I will say the first time I had Merina inserted it hurt BAD! This was due to 3 factors though (for me)

1) Never had children- so nothing had ever been stretched before. TIGHT FIT!
    2) I was tense and nervous.
    3) I didn't take pain meds before the procedure.

So that made the first time very painful. BUT the good part was after a week the cramps were gone completely. I was in bed for the first 2 days after (cramping to the point of tears) and the cramping slowly subsided. My periods disappeared completely.

I didn't gain any weight that I can say and my acne cleared up only when I stopped wearing makeup and found a good cleanser ;)

Now Last Friday (16th) I was due for my 2nd Merina IUD. This time I took pain meds before and my doc even said she didn't care if I came tipsy as long as I was relaxed (hehehe). Taking out the old IUD was 2 seconds long and the feeling was more like "pressure being released". Then in went the 2nd one. I did cuss twice when the arms were extended up but 5 minutes later I was sitting up grinning. I have very light cramps that day. Once my dad got me home I hopped in my own car drove 50miles to see my boyfriend and stopped at walmart for our grocery shopping. Even pain free for some friskyness later ;)

SO MY 2CENTS:

If you haven't had kids (aka no stretching) and this is your first Merina-
    1) have someone drive you.
    2) Set your appt up so you can have 2 days of bedrest available if you need it.
    3) take a decent level dose of pain meds before.
    4) If your doc will write a priscription for higher dose of the good pain medication....get it.
    5) Have a sleepaid next to your bed ready for you so you can try to sleep off the cramping (omit if you get an Rx).

Also check with your insurance because my Merina was covered and I had no copay for insertion.
    I have loved both Merinas and in 2017 I will be getting Essure done.

SO WORTH IT! :)
  • wrentrotter
    Options
    I had this and really didn't like it. It was painful being inserted, I have had a child and I wouldn't compare it to childbirth, it wasn't that bad, but my cervix did contract like with labour pains. It never really felt right the entire time I had it. It felt foreign in my body. I had such bad cramps after it went in that I went to A&E (ER) with the pain. I thought something must have been wrong but they assured me it was all OK. I kept it for the full five years as I didn't have any other options contraception wise really, but it never really felt right. I could feel the string (which feels kind of like the tip of a single soft hairbrush bristle dangling out of the cervix), and so could my partner, during sex. My periods stopped completely and without going into too much detail, erm, it made climaxes less intense.

It's been removed for a few years now and my periods have never returned to how they were before. They are extremely heavy now, whereas I had no problems before. This could be coincidental, I don't know...

Sorry to have the bad story to tell but that's my experience and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone...

Edit* I didn't notice any weight gain, but I wasn't measuring that at the time.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my mirena.

HBC pills of all varieties made me an emotional wreck. Crying, getting irritated at nothing, etc. The only side effect from mirena that I've noticed (through 4 years) is a dramatically lightened period. I don't even have to buy tampons anymore!

The pain during insertion for me was excruciating (I have never been pregnant), but I didn't even take any advil ahead of time. When I have mine replaced I will ask for some serious painkillers ahead of time and will plan to take the next day off of work. However, this was well worth the pain. It has exceeded my wildest expectations. Easy and awesome.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've had an IUD as my birth control method since my almost 16-year old daughter was born. At my post partum 6 week exam I had an old-fashioned IUD put in that I had for 10 years. 6 years ago I had my first Merina put in. I loved it! No periods anymore! Yay! And last year I got my second Merina put in. My fiance has has a vasectomy and we still chose to use the IUD for the lack of periods and cramping. I love it and can't recommend it enough!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Why would it cause weight gain? It's localized hormones, not a pill.

Do you really think your body works this way? My uterus isn't made of plastic or steel...

Anyway, my sister and I were two of the rare bad reactions. However, I agree that it is a great option for most women and almost all of the women I know with it are happy campers. One note though, if you decide to get it, please try the Canadian Mirena site for a more comprehensive list of side effects and monitor any reaction(s) you may have carefully. Good luck!

Nearly all weight gain associated with BC is the result of the woman eating more without realizing it, or realizing it and blaming the BC. It is very rare that the actual BC causes weight gain, so yeah.