Replies

• Marvi120
    Marvi120 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Mondays and Wednesdays I have a class where we use weights. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I have Zumba. I also have a membership to the women's health center at the YMCA. With this I have free soap, towels and the use of a whirlpool, sauna and steam room. Love it !!!!!:heart:
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Would love to go to the Y however my income's a bit too low for the membership currently so will stick to my gym for a bit longer until my income goes up a bit more for me to feel comfortable shelling out the money

They go by your income level for what you can pay. It says right on their website that no one will be turned away for inability to pay. Id print that off and show it to them if they give you any flack or maybe talk to the director and show them. (HUGS)

"We believe that communities are only successful if they give everyone the opportunity to be healthy, confident, connected and secure. The Y's Annual Support Campaign raises funds to provide program and membership assistance. We also offer flexible membership rates based on household income. Our goal is that no one is turned away due to inability to pay. Stop by your local Y Member Services desk or call to find out more information."

THIS for sure!!

I budgeted for the full $900 or so for a family membership, but I had heard that a bunch of my friends had gotten discounts due to income levels...so I took in hubby's pay stubs when I signed up. I mentioned the discounts, and showed them the stubs and ended up getting a 50% discount--I think we paid $490 for a family membership. That boils down to about $10 a week for the WHOLE family!

which is nice when they have the indoor pool for them and ballet, etc. The kids get use of it too. Estimating, we will end up paying about $50/mnth for the family, thats income based and with a discount from hubbys work.

Those of you that do Zumba, can you tell me about the class? Ive never done it before but thats one of the things i want to sign up for.
  • JustANumber85
    Options
    UPDATE:

We went to one Y tonight near hubbys work (they are sponsored by his work and offer a discount). Well, im not sure what we'll be doing.....
    With his discount, we'd have no join fee but for a Family it would be $63/mnth! We can do the Membership For All (by your income), but im not sure how much wed "save"?
  • Kitzey
    Kitzey Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I love my Y too! It's where I got my fitness start :) If they weren't as welcoming I don't think I would have ever started, joined a few gyms prior to the Y and quit them all as they didn't make me feel comfortable... felt like I was getting "are you kidding me fatty" looks; which were probably in my head but still I felt that way. Even when I first started and was extremely out of shape I felt comfortable enough to show up and work it at the Y! The people you meet are wonderful and everyone seems to motivate one another.
  • JustANumber85
    Options
    Well I went to Victory Lady Fitness today for a PTX class with a friend and while thr gym was nice, i just dont think the benefits are worth it vs the Y.

VLF:
    Personal Trainer gives you a workout program
    PTX class would be beneficial

Y:
    Long hours
    better pool set up
    child care

so i think we are just going to try the Membership for all on monday and go from there :happy:
  • JustANumber85
    Options
    update 2:
    We went with the Y with a work discount because the Membership For All you need: 1040 AND w-2 AND pay stubs AND personal letter explaining hardship. If anyone is interested we pay $66/month so im not sure how much wed save with MFA.

and I went to one Y and was not impressed by the staff or equipment. I went to another Y today and they were super friendly and very inviting!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    update 2:
    We went with the Y with a work discount because the Membership For All you need: 1040 AND w-2 AND pay stubs AND personal letter explaining hardship. If anyone is interested we pay $66/month so im not sure how much wed save with MFA.

and I went to one Y and was not impressed by the staff or equipment. I went to another Y today and they were super friendly and very inviting!

I live smack dab between 2 YMCAs. The last time I was a member, it was at the powell branch. It was OK...but I didn't feel like it was super friendly or anything. This time when I joined, I joined at the Delaware branch, and the powell branch is in the network, so I *could* go there too. Strangely enough, the Delaware branch is bigger...but the front desk guy greets me by name and the trainer knows my workout schedule by heart. Although I don't think the fitness center staff know my name, they are super friendly and I feel special when I go in there.
  • meganrpelican
    meganrpelican Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    YMCA cycling instructor here! I love it cycling is a great workout and my ymca also offers a trx stregth class that i love. You will love zumba too. I wish i could still take that class but they moved the time so im missing out...
  • JustANumber85
    Options
    question for those of you at the Y- I was told that 5-9am they are packed and 9-11 is when moms usually come in and then its dead 12-4....which i know its dead 12-4 because i was there during that time. It also was busy but not crowded about 8pm.

Is this true for other Ys? Im going to get up in the Am and try it. Maybe it wont be that bad.
  • tigger_belle
    tigger_belle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The Y is the gym I go to. I love that I have access to so much there---especially the pool. I also like it because it feels less gym-y and more intimate? If that makes sense?
  • jahenry17
    jahenry17 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Love the Y. Body pump and Body Combat are my favs.
  • Maybaby100
    Maybaby100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love the Y. I've been to other gyms in my area, but the Y feels like home. We have a pretty nice Y. Lots of machines, classes, lifting equipment. I swim, lift, walk, jog, use the elliptical or just take the kids over to play on the slides or basketball.

It's a great place to work out. We have access to many Y's in the area and we also have the away membership, so if we go out of town we can find the closes test ymca and work out.
  • Maybaby100
    Maybaby100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The hours you posted seem about right for here. After lunch it dies down. Our child are closes at 1:30 after that hardly anyone is there until after school/work.
  • luv_2_lift
    luv_2_lift Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love my Y! I've only tried one spinning class but I use the elliptical, treadmill, and free weights. I also have an awesome personal trainer at the Y. It offers way more but I haven't had the chance to try everything yet.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My Y is busy on the cardio, empty on the weights very early in the morning -- before 7 a.m. It is busy in the morning until about 11 a.m. at which time the crowds clear out until about 2 p.m. In the afternoon, swimmers show up, as do the teenagers released from school. Things slow about 5:30 p.m. and then pick up a bit in the evening.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    question for those of you at the Y- I was told that 5-9am they are packed and 9-11 is when moms usually come in and then its dead 12-4....which i know its dead 12-4 because i was there during that time. It also was busy but not crowded about 8pm.

Is this true for other Ys? Im going to get up in the Am and try it. Maybe it wont be that bad.
    I go at about 630am. Not packed, but definitely busy.
  • JustANumber85
    Options
    well i went in the AM 5-6:30ish and it was busy but not super crowded. I also tried the Dance Aerobics class and it was way too fast. Im trying the Step & Strength Class tomorrow.
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I got to the YMCA for Zumba classes and use the gym. It's GREAT for drop in classes!
  • marissa14danielle
    marissa14danielle Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Y! They have an amazing gym that has everything! I haven't tried any classes yet but I plan on going to Yoga and Zumba. The other thing I love about the Y is that there are all different kinds of people who use their gym. :)