About 600lbs, Time to Lose a Few

Options

Replies

• tlo23
    tlo23 Posts: 68
    Options
    Congrats for starting this journey Dani! You can do whatever you set your mind too. We're all in this together no matter what size we start at & are here for support!
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I am also glad to see you here. This site has been such an effective tool for so many. There are so many great and supportive people here. I'm happy to support if you'd like to add me. Otherwise, I wish you much success on your journey to better health! :flowerforyou:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Hon, it's great to have you here, MFP will change your life, it's a tool and with it comes so many wonderful changes. It's not easy but as the saying goes "nothing worth having is".

Here's a link I came across that might interest you:

It's a small group off the main boards, check in with them if you like and you'll find lots of ladies and of course gentlemen that are where you are now and getting smaller everyday.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/777697-300-400-pound-club I know there are many other groups (within MFP) you can do a search on or hopefully someone will share a link here about other groups that truly do understand the difference between being overweight when starting and being morbidly obese. I know there are others but don't know the names to give you to search for.... Can anyone help Dani in regards to this?:happy:

Being overweight can be understood by many, being morbidly obese and the many many challenges that holds in a different way can really only be truly understood by those that have been trapped in that world and seen their lives become smaller and smaller. BUT that's not you anymore!!:wink::bigsmile:

Cheers for stepping out and joining MFP, going to the doc and clicking on the Intro thread!!! :drinker:
    I'm so very proud of you :flowerforyou:

Hearts:heart:
    ONE IMPORTANT WAY YOU CAN FIND OTHERS IN YOUR SITUATION IS TO DO A CUSTOM SEARCH ON MY FITNESS PAL FOR THEM. HOW? GO TO COMMUNITY TAB, THEN "FIND MEMBERS". THERE YOU WILL FIND PEOPLE UNDER "WEIGHT LOSS GOAL" WHO NEED TO LOSE 100+ POUNDS. WITH A LITTLE EFFORT YOU CAN FIND PLENTY OF PEOPLE IN YOUR SITUATION.

I NEED TO LOSE ABOUT 100 POUNDS STILL AND HAVE LOST 35 ALREADY. FEEL FREE TO "REQUEST FRIEND" ME IF YOU LIKE. GOOD LUCK. YOU CAN DO IT! THIS IS THE BEST PLACE POSSIBLE YOU COULD HAVE COME TO TAKE ON THIS LIFE SAVING JOURNEY.
    Excellent reminder for all of us!! Thanks for bringing this up:drinker:
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    ONE IMPORTANT WAY YOU CAN FIND OTHERS IN YOUR SITUATION IS TO DO A CUSTOM SEARCH ON MY FITNESS PAL FOR THEM. HOW? GO TO COMMUNITY TAB, THEN "FIND MEMBERS". THERE YOU WILL FIND PEOPLE UNDER "WEIGHT LOSS GOAL" WHO NEED TO LOSE 100+ POUNDS. WITH A LITTLE EFFORT YOU CAN FIND PLENTY OF PEOPLE IN YOUR SITUATION.

I NEED TO LOSE ABOUT 100 POUNDS STILL AND HAVE LOST 35 ALREADY. FEEL FREE TO "REQUEST FRIEND" ME IF YOU LIKE. GOOD LUCK. YOU CAN DO IT! THIS IS THE BEST PLACE POSSIBLE YOU COULD HAVE COME TO TAKE ON THIS LIFE SAVING JOURNEY.
  • mcash66
    mcash66 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You are welcome to add me. Congrats on taking the first step. One pound at a time!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Welcome Dani! How you do it is....one choice, one decision at a time. Log everything, be very honest with yourself, and make a good healthy choice. And then another. And another. Its that simple. You don't have to think in terms of forever, or even next week. Or even tomorrow. Just make this decision, right now. Its simple. Its not always easy. But you CAN do this. You really can make your life and your health so much better, starting right now. You go, girl! We all believe in you!
  • Nveme13
    Options
    Hi Dani,

I have a sister who's weight is quite high and she has difficulty with mobility too. I got her onto My Fitness Pal app over a month ago and she's already lost 20 pounds. She is so happy that she doesn't feel deprived nor does she feel like she's even on a diet because she eats what she wants and just stays within her recommended calories. I feel the same way, I've lost 8 pounds. I think any kind of effort like this is commendable on your part and you should be proud of yourself for making the first steps to improving your health. Whether you're 180 pounds or 480 pounds, I think every lost pound is a huge accommplishment. Don't be afaid to start on this, it's easy and fun if you ask me. Don't allow negativity to rule your thoughts, be positive and you will start to see a big difference. Just remember that it takes time and while you may find the pounds literally melting off of you for the first few months, just know that you will reach a plateau as I have but I worked around it by making small adjustments to my diet. Try different things and do this for you, no one else. Good luck Dani, all the best to you!!!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I know I am in a different weight category than you, but I'd love to encourage and support you! You could always use a few new cheerleaders, right?

Feel free to add me!
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm on here to lose some to I'm not your size but I commend you on trying to lose some weight and get healthier. Add me if you like. We all have to start somewhere.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

I've received loads of feedback, some of it very good. I'm looking forward to beginning right after the holidays (for obvious reasons). I've been introduced to a lot of great resources (and people) here that I'm sure will be critical in my success this next year. :)

Thank you for all your beautiful support and contribution of ideas! Anything else you guys would like to add is always welcome.

-Dani

Good luck Dani!
    Only thing I can add is why begin after the holidays? Enjoy Thanksgiving today, eat until you are not hungry anymore, and then start TOMORROW.....If you do that, you will have 5 weeks of progress behind you by Christmas, and it would be a lot easier to make good choices and still enjoy the holidays.....
    We all know the "start after the holidays/Monday/after my birthday is just another form of postponing......
  • nancyaaa
    nancyaaa Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    high 5! you go girl!
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options

I've received loads of feedback, some of it very good. I'm looking forward to beginning right after the holidays (for obvious reasons). I've been introduced to a lot of great resources (and people) here that I'm sure will be critical in my success this next year. :)

Thank you for all your beautiful support and contribution of ideas! Anything else you guys would like to add is always welcome.

-Dani

Good luck Dani!
    Only thing I can add is why begin after the holidays? Enjoy Thanksgiving today, eat until you are not hungry anymore, and then start TOMORROW.....If you do that, you will have 5 weeks of progress behind you by Christmas, and it would be a lot easier to make good choices and still enjoy the holidays.....
    We all know the "start after the holidays/Monday/after my birthday is just another form of postponing......

I agree in my past in my experience after the holiday then became after the birthday then after the this and after the that.... I wish I could take all those afters back and I wouldn't be working my but off at 47 years old to loose 180lbs and I might have children if I din't have so many afters.
    Just being real U shouldn't wait
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options

-Dani

Good luck Dani!

Such a great point!! I wanted to comment on this too- a lifestyle change is just that, you don't want to pick a day to start, after the good food is gone. We will always be presented with an opportunity to celebrate something with food, and that will be the key to your success as it has been ours. To learn that food is good, food is fuel, but it is not a replacement for anything else in life, and it doesn't fill the pain of anything for long. But here we are, its Monday and I know we are all ready to get going for the week ahead- especially if we did indulge some over the holiday! :wink:
  • velloxal
    velloxal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi Dani :bigsmile:

Few years ago I read article about woman your size. She start walking around Rotary clothes line in her back yard, every day few more circles. When she could breath easily she start walking on the street. When she lost some kg she start exercising at gym. She slowly replaced junk food with fresh fruits and vegetables.

You will need to set realistic goals. :bigsmile:
    If you eat junk food every day - skip one meal with healthy salad and soft drink with freshly squeezed raw fruit and vegetable juice. Invest in Juicer and drink one glass of fresh raw juice daily - this way you will slowly detoxify your body from toxins from junk food. Below are good websites with healthy recipes from my blog
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/velloxal?month=201206

Add friends who will motivate you. I can recommend laney540, RiverTom, lucycaz and Namaste1983 (she lost 232lb)

Join Groups for example :
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1140-300
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/744-200-to-lose
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4551-thirty-somethings

You can't change your habits overnight, you will have some hunger days, you will go over your daily limit, but no matter what happen this community is great and there are so many people who lost their weight baggage and are healthy and skinny again. Be patient and remember to exercise and shed your kg slowly other way your skin won't have enough time to adjust and you will end up with excessive skin. You're in your early 30 so your skin will adjust.

Good luck and remember you can do it :bigsmile:
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Dani...welcome to MFP! :)
    I think you've received great advice in this thread. If you're looking for another friend, please feel free to add me. I'm not at the same size, but the journey to weight loss is the same for all of us - eating clean and working out more.
    Best of luck on your weight loss journey.
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Dani, Welcome to MFP.. First of all congratulations to taking that first step and wanting to lose weight.. I would love to follow you on your journey and help support in anyway I can.. Sending you a friend request.. Good luck honey.. You can do this.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to come drop some words of encouragement. No better time than the new year to try and turn for some changes. You can do this! You gotta start somewhere.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My name is Dani, and I recently discovered that I weigh a little over 600lbs. I recently found this out during a doctors visit, which I must say took a lot of courage to attend. After some difficult consideration, I'd like to try losing weight again.

I knew that I weighed more than 550, since that's as far as my scale goes at home. I'd really like to get back below that, a possibly get some extra wiggle room in there too? I think it could help enormously with my mobility, which for someone of my age isn't really that good right now. :/

I'm looking for support from other women that are my size. I really think that once you're over 500 or so, everything changes and it becomes really really hard. Advise on how to exercise when its hard to walk? Any advice on how to keep my calories under 4000 a day? I have to say that I'm not looking forward to this at all...

Thanks everybody.

-Dani
    bump
  • MountainMoverJosh
    Options
    VERY smart decision, gal. VERY smart decision. It is a tough choice, but you have to make it. You have to want to be healthy. I can not tell you how your life is like, but I have a buddy who is coming down from over 400, and he is somewhere in the low 300s now. What I do know is that the hardest part is just to get up and do it. You are a locomotive. Get it going and you will WANT to keep momentum. Keep that momentum, and you will lose mega poundage, and that will make you happy.

If you want to, be my friend. I would really like to support you, as it would encourage me also to not be such a poor sport.

It sounds cliche, but if you can do it, then no one else has an excuse not to.

PROPS!
  • MountainMoverJosh
    Options
    But be realistic. Chances are you will not be less than 500 by Christmas, but you might be damn close. Please -do not- forego the doctor with such a weight loss assignment. You should see him/her regularly to make sure you are losing the weight healthfully. He/she can also hold vital stats for you, such as heart rate, cholesterol, and bmi, so that you can accurately make any changes necessary to your diet/fitness routine.

good luck, and hope to be hearing from you soon!