About 600lbs, Time to Lose a Few

Options
My name is Dani, and I recently discovered that I weigh a little over 600lbs. I recently found this out during a doctors visit, which I must say took a lot of courage to attend. After some difficult consideration, I'd like to try losing weight again.

I knew that I weighed more than 550, since that's as far as my scale goes at home. I'd really like to get back below that, a possibly get some extra wiggle room in there too? I think it could help enormously with my mobility, which for someone of my age isn't really that good right now. :/

I'm looking for support from other women that are my size. I really think that once you're over 500 or so, everything changes and it becomes really really hard. Advise on how to exercise when its hard to walk? Any advice on how to keep my calories under 4000 a day? I have to say that I'm not looking forward to this at all...

Thanks everybody.

-Dani

Replies

• Goosiesnougs
    Options
    I'm not your size, but I'd love to add you! I'm fairly sensible, and not drastic with anything. It's a daily effort. Add me if you like! :flowerforyou:
  • hijude57
    hijude57 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site. You have made the most important step - going to the doctor. Friend me and we can support eachother:smile:
  • jbahrami
    jbahrami Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hi Dani...I'm not in the same boat as far as the amount of weight loss goes, but I'm in the same struggle you are just to be healthy. We're all in this together, so please feel free to add me as a friend for that extra support. All the best!
    Jen
  • 1DayMarathonRnner
    1DayMarathonRnner Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am not your size either but I am here to support you if you like. I have lost over 100 pounds since I started this weight loss journey a few years ago. I log in every day almost and I am wiling to support you.
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Dani....You CAN, You WILL, you MUST! Choose life and stay in the moment of now.....just keep thinking that only this second matters, and for this second I can make the decision that is right for me. Love yourself enough to keep making those life affirming decisions.....and remember it is not the goal but who you become as you are reaching that goal that is significant.
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Dani, I really commend you on making the decision to lose. Are you under a doctor's care for this? That would definitely be my first step-to work out a nutrition plan that will fit you. I've found that logging everything you eat really holds you accountable. It forces you to see just what you eat every day. I was sick a few weeks ago, and even logged in the EmergenC I was drinking!

Deciding to make a lifestyle change is a huge step, and it sounds like you've taken that step. Friends here will be there every step you take through this journey, cheering you on with every little victory :)

Please add me if you'd like daily support. You CAN do this!
  • duluthian
    Options
    We are all bound together by a common cause - weight loss - you can do this for yourself, one day, one hour, one minute at a time!! Add me, having friends on this site really helps. I didn't think it would help me but it has. Good luck on your journey and I'm glad you are willing to share :smile:
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I don't think I will be much help as such, as we are in such different places weight-wise, but just wanted to say well done on taking the first step and getting the ball rolling.

:flowerforyou:
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Way to go for taking that first step!

In terms of keeping your calories under 4000, your best bet is to start filling your pantry and refrigerator with healthy foods that give you good fiber, minerals, and vitamins. If possible, throw out any of the processed stuff that is not good for you (chips, frozen snacks like taquitos, etc, cookies, ice cream). I like to keep 1 or 2 unhealthy options in my kitchen, but not more because otherwise I get too tempted!

If you are eating healthy foods like chicken, fish, vegetables, whole grains, and fruit 75% of the time, you can give yourself a little leeway and have some calories for the not-so-healthy stuff. I find that when trying to change how you eat, it's better to make small steps that you can sustain. I know that for my mom, who started doing this a few months ago, she made changes in week increments, adding on like this:

1. Week one: cut out all sugary drinks (soda, juice, etc)
    2. Week two: get at least 3 servings of vegetables.
    3. Week three: Try to get at least 100 grams of good protein.

Maybe this would be a good step-wise way for you to start making changes? I suggest cutting out soda and sugary drinks first if you drink them normally, because they are the biggest source of empty calories. If you need a substitute, try buying the 0-calorie drink powder options.

Good luck!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! There's a lot of great support here. And congrats on starting the journey - that first step is so hard! There are plenty of people who've had a lot of weight to lose and have done so - check out the success stories forum - those are always inspiring! Glad you're here!
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Sweetie! You have made the hardest step! Well done. You will find a lovely supportive community here. Build up your MFP friends with those who will understand your situation and you will be amazed at how much it makes a difference. I was about 300lb when I started so not as big as you, but I do have excrutiating knee problems (bone on bone) so I know what it is like to have to try to exercise when even walking a couple of yards is a challenge. I will accept your friend request if you would like to send one.

It might seem a huge mountain to climb, but one step at a time will get you there slowly but surely. Find yourself a goal or several small goals that you can achieve in the next week, four weeks, month etc and work out how you are going to get to each one. Don't try to look at the bigger picture yet because it might seem overwhelming at first. As your small goals are ticked off and completed you will be closer to your big goal before you know it!

Good luck and welcome.
  • luvsyoga
    luvsyoga Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You can do it! You will be sooo inspirational to sooo many people!! Add me if you like. :smile:
  • GinaBeana1121
    GinaBeana1121 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for taking control of your health, you will find that (most :]) people on here are very kind and supportive.

As for eating, I would say reduce your intake by 500 cals every day until you are at your goal caloric intake (track literally everything you put in your mouth) veggies are a great way to fill up without adding a ton of cals. don't drink your calories ! Tea and water are delicious and refreshing.

As for exercise, diet is 80% of the battle but moving is a great way to get rid of extra cals. Until it is comfortable for you to get seriously moving I would suggest looking up "sit and be fit". There are tons of ways to get your heart rate up without using legs (lifting weights, etc)

Good luck on your journey!!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I'm not your size either - I started at 282lb. However I'd be happy to offer support and advice.

I watched a program on someone that was around 600lb a while ago, and his personal trainer simply made him stand up from the sofa over and over again. It may not seem like a lot but he said he's having to shift his weight up and down, it got his heart rate going and it was a good starting point. Once you've gained some mobility then you could look at doing small walks, and work it from there.

As for food, you can do a lot with 4000 cals. Eat plenty of fresh veg, lean meat and fruit, and you will still have plenty left for occasional treats, A lot of people on here are 'clean eaters', but I'm a firm believer in not cutting out anything you couldn't cut out for the rest of your life. Personally, I couldn't cut out chocolate, so I eat it every day and just make sure it fits into my macros.

Don't think you will hate it before you do, or you will start this with a negative view straight away. Some days are easier than others, I won't lie to you, but the important thing is not giving up. You CAN do it, and there are many people on here that are supportive and friendly and full of good advice.
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Dani....You CAN, You WILL, you MUST! Choose life and stay in the moment of now.....just keep thinking that only this second matters, and for this second I can make the decision that is right for me. Love yourself enough to keep making those life affirming decisions.....and remember it is not the goal but who you become as you are reaching that goal that is significant.
  • Abrowe313
    Abrowe313 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    hi Dani i was around 500 lbs when i started a year ago, and im down to 394 as of this morning. it is very tough at first workouts will hurt and you will feel like its an endless battle. but if you just keep at it it gets easier and you will suprise yourself with what you can do if you just stick with it. best of luck!
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Congrats on beginning your journey! My goals are not the same as yours, but feel free to add me :). We could all use support!

As for keeping your cals under 4000 try changing little things over a period of time. You didn't gain it in one day, it won't come off in one day. The most important thing is that you have patience! Eat a little healthier, move a little bit more, and the weight will come off!

Never give up!
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Hi Dani - just wanted to say that regardless of how much a person wants or needs to lose, the path to success is the basically the same. So I would recommend that you friend supportive people, not based on weight. Of course, healthy eating and exercise are important. But in all my years of struggling with my weight, I've finally realized the most important step is the one you make mentally. Something had to click for me to give me the desire and commitment to get healthy. Once you've got that, the rest will follow....baby steps. Would love to be your friend if you like!
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm so pleased and proud of you for taking that first step!

Welcome to MFP - it's a good bunch on here, willing to help out when you need encouragement or an answer to a seemingly silly question.

If you'd like a friend feel free to add me :)

Here's to a successful journey! :drinker:
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Making minor adjustments and becoming a little active in the beginning will yield very encouraging results. The biggest obstacle is mental, you have to make up your mind and commit to a lifestyle change. Replace those empty calories with nutritious ones. Walk a little further everyday and just know that you are doing more than before.