About 600lbs, Time to Lose a Few

Options

Replies

• Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site - there is a lot of support, great ideas, sharing laughs and tears here! WE all are here because we realize and accepted the fact we want to become healither and HERE we can do it.... I would love to be your friend thur our journey!

:bigsmile:
  • AnnabellKE
    AnnabellKE Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Add me if you want :)
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking that first step, Dani! Add me if you like- we're not in the same weight category either but I've struggled with weight my entire life. I get frustrated because my body never seems to respond the way it should. I've made a lot of recent dietary changes after seeing some things with my health that frankly scared me. I'd be glad to be a support for you :)
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Hi Dani, I'm also Dani :wink: Stick with MFP, it works, trust me. Maybe don't worry too much about exercise until you've lost your first bit of weight, and then when you have more energy you can start. xx
  • doin_it
    doin_it Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making that first step, coming here with the goal to lose some weight! We are all fighting the same battle with different amounts of weight to lose but we all have the same goal..to be healthier and happier in our lives! There are so many caring people here who can offer you some great advice and to keep you motivated on your journey. I sent you a friend request, I hope we can be friends!
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome to MFP....I may not be in the same weight group, but we all go through the same frustrations and emotions on this journey... and we are both here for the same common cause- to get healthy and live. Feel free to add me
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is RaNae I have sent you a friend request u can go to my profile page and see my pics and read a lil about me I am currently 341 my highest was 370 and I started MFP at 349. Congrats on going to the dr and taking these first wonderful steps towards a healthier you. When I started exercising all I could do was sit and lift 1 and 3 lb hand weights I bought at wal mart while watching tv- then I found water aerobics in my area that had a stair or zero entry.... it took some internet searching but eventually I found it anyways if you want more info on that message me now I ride a bike just did 10 miles on Sunday boy was I hurting yesterday but it felt so good- I am sharing all this so you can see I can relate and I have progressed and so can you.
    I have so much love for you because you are so dam courageous I hope we can walk this walk together.
    RaNae aka
    RaNaeLuvsLuzn

Luznit 1 Meal, 1 Snack, 1 Logged Calorie, 1 day at a time
  • nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    So glad that you are here. I would suggest as a first step is find out what your basal metabolic rate is. This is the rate at which your body burns calories just to survive. So it is the rate for sleeping and having a day with no exercise. The rate to maintain exactly where you are. Try this site.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Then, eat a little below that rate on a daily basis. As you lose go back to the site as your rate will lower constantly.

As for exercise, do it, DAILY. Mix it up. If you can use that suggestion about standing up multiple times from the couch, go for it. You could also shadow box. There is a pedal contraption that you can buy that you could pedal from the couch. Or put it on a table and pedal with your arms. Any of these will increase your heart rate and help you lose weight.

I would suggest since you cannot yet use a scale, have some other means of measuring your progress. The way a certain pair of pants fit, measure your waist with a string, anything so that you can see that this is worth it.

I would be happy to help you. I will send a friend request. You can do this. I have faith in you. You are worth it.
  • GilesGuthrie
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Feel free to add me if you like, even though I might not be in the demographic you're looking for.

Loads of people above have given sound advice. My addition would be this: One exercise you should get into the habit of doing is in assessing what you eat. Not in a guilty way. In the way of saying "what's the best value food for me", in terms of taste, filling you up, and nutritional value. I've worked out that some foods are quite efficient for me in terms of getting me to my next meal without killing my calorie allowance. Some foods are better than others, e.g. you can eat far more melon than apples for the same calorific value.

By logging absolutely everything, you get to understand this, and it becomes second-nature.

Also, if you can get your food intake down to your target level, then for the first 6-9 months, you will be able to treat any exercise you do as reward-generating. My calorie allowance is such that I pretty much have to exercise in order to get enough of a calorie allowance to not feel hungry. But I recommend that if you undergo the sacrifice of exposing yourself to the pain of exercise, you should be able to use some of those calories for reward.

And that, actually, is what I really love about tracking through MFP.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP lady. As far as keeping your calorie intake low, I would recommend boosting your fruits and veggies, making sure you get a lot of protein, and cutting out empty refined carbs. In the journey for weight loss, protein and fiber are your best friends.

As far as exercise goes, try for things that are super low impact. If you have an xbox with a kinect, I would try some of the exercise games, sometimes they have boxing as an option which is mainly upper body, but can still get your heart rate up. I have a recumbent bike, which is very easy on the knees and can give you a pretty decent workout. Just make little steps and keep in touch with your doctor!

Add me, I'm on here all the time. I'm far from perfect, and don't exercise nearly as much as I should, but I love having more friends!
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It's so great that you're here. I have a feeling that you're going to impress all of us, but mostly yourself, with your progress. I sent a link to this thread to one of my MyFitnessPal (MFP) friends, eye4art, who started at around the same weight as you. She is encouraging and warm, and she inspires me all the time just by seeing her progress.

Whatever way you can move, even if it's just sitting down and raising your arms and kicking out your legs, vow to do it every day. you'll be amazed at how quickly you improve.

Everyone here struggles to lose weight, nomatter what size - so please know that you're among friends and supporters.
    -gabrielle
  • skinnypig85
    Options
    trying to find new freinds.... we can help each other:smile:
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Good job on getting started. At 4000 calories, you have a lot of room to work with. If you start cutting out the soda, sweets, fried foods etc and start eating good, low fat, low calorie and high protein foods you will be surprised how much you can actually eat and still lose weight. I only have about 30 more pounds to lose myself but fell free to add me if you would like.
  • ddnyr
    ddnyr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good for you, you took that first step! I don't have that much to lose but we are all in this together! Best of luck and remember, you are not alone!
  • tomusiakl
    tomusiakl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Add if you like though I am not your size. We are all here to help each other and with continued support you will feel motivated. Remember you wont lose the weight overnight...but little by little you will see results. The biggest thing right now is to change your diet. You do not even have to exercise right now until you lose some of your weight and can manage to walk, then run etc. DIET IS THE BIGGEST PART OF WEIGHT LOSS...
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Dani- like many others I am not your size as well but I know what it is like to be 350lbs! I am currently in the mid 200's and am hopefull to reach my goal next year. I know starting out for you is hard and stressful. My biggest suggestion is to start out by dancing in your seat for 10 to 15 minutes at a time. Move your arms and wiggle around because believe it or not but you will be burning a bunch of calories.
    As far as staying under 4,000 calories go, I would say load up on veggies broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green beans and so on. I personally can not afford fresh veggies so I buy the frozen mixes in the store. You can eat a whole bag of veggies about 16oz for only 200 calories and because they are full in fiber they will keep you fuller longer. I hope you get to see this and I hope it helps. Feel free to add me for support!
  • Flamencoflynnie
    Flamencoflynnie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I have lost (and regained the same 70+ lbs about 6 times in the past 10 years with vlcd's I was left with little muscle tone to burn calories and a real fear of eating conventional food. I joined MFP yesterday and this time I know it is for good. Just looking around the forums has been an inspiration to me. I would be delighted if you would have me as a friend and I look forward to seeing us shrink together.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! You've mad the first step to a healthier you, and that takes tremendous strength! ...

Start with small changes and work up, don't dive in head first from the start.

Walk 5 minutes a day/ 10 minutes a day whatever you can do... and increase your minutes when you can ... just the simple art of walking everyday you will start seeing changes not just on the scale, but on your body, your mental image and your energy levels.

Start switching your food items for better items... Water instead of soda (if you can't cut out soda all together, just commit to 1 glass of water in between each soda), get rid of anything that temps you, chips, candy, cookies, etc. - Focus on eating healthier items more often, then eating junk less often.

You can and will do this! We are all here to support, encourage and help you!
  • Chriscadia
    Chriscadia Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    As many have already said, you've done the best choice already and that is making the decision to become healthier. I'm sure you're overwhelmed by all the posts here, myself reading the thread I think it's amazing to see the out poor of all the people who want to help and support you. I'm also one of them, I'm maybe not the same weight as you but as many of us, I struggle to lose weight too. If you would like to, you can add me. I wish you the best of luck on your journey!
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to support you..friend request sent!!!