About 600lbs, Time to Lose a Few

Options

Replies

• SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Hi Dani! So glad you're on this site! It's great and there are a lot of supportive people on here! Every now and then, someone will post an inspirational story about their personal journey. There's a really great story about a guy who lost a bunch of weight and "got his life" back. I WISH I could remember his name. One of his pictures had him on a riding mower I think... His story is VERY inspiring. :)

I'll chime in with the others and suggest that you do this under the watchful eye of a physician and perhaps a nutritionist or a dietician who can help make sure that you're eating the right things, getting the nutrients you need, and most importantly, eating enough so that you don't get frustrated and binge. Binging might happen, but it'll be less likely to happen if you have a professional helping you plan things out and giving you a solid foundation of good foods and techniques to work with. :)

The journey, like all journeys, may be difficult at times, but stick with it until you get where you want to be. It'll definitely be worth the time and effort. :)

Hope you have a great Tuesday!
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    You did the most important step: you went to the doctor and signed in here. Take one day at a time and you will be successful. On this site are a lot of encouraging people who all have the same struggles, just ask when you have questions, look at success storys when you need encouragement and set your goals doable.

Good luck with your new lifestyle!
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Sunflowerinbloom Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is shelley and its awesome that u took the first step and reaching out here on MFP, one thing u need to do is fill out all your information here on your profile and most important make some small (mini goals) put it all out on the table something u can look everyday to keep u motivated. I have a blog u are more than welcome to look at mabe it can help u to figure out some goals u want to make for yourself, I know that we have diffrent weights but I would love to check in with u everyday we all have a common goal and I think together we can get what we want! my blog is shelleylynn276.blogspot.com
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Welcome and you can do this. It is important for your health that you do this and it is awesome that you have taken your first few steps. You will feel so much better and will have a new lease on life! Again...welcome....one more thing...this will be a lifestyle change...not a diet...it will have to be forever!
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say I think you are amazing for making yourself the number one priority in your life chica!!!Congrats and I know you can do it.I started off at almost 300lbs and can tell you this site works because the people here give you strength you didn't know you had in you :) You are more han welcome to add me and good luck doll!!!
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    welcome - set realistic goals, say enter your first target as losing 10% of our starting weight.

Weigh your food everyday.Weigh yourself once or twice a week.

Log every meal - and every between meal snack. You will be amazed at what was getting under your food radar.
    I'm here for life, I think - and log in every day so you are welcome to send a message if you need to explode to someone whom you have no danger of having to meet the next day.

Best wishes.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Hi Dani! Welcome to MFP. This is a great place to make friends and the majority of people here are very supportive. You've made a very important decision coming on here. Start slow......just set yourself small targets to start with - maybe reward yourself (non-food wise!) when you reach each target. Try making small changes to your diet, maybe a bit more fruit & veg and a little less soda or whatever. As for exercising, just try and keep moving, even if it is just waving your arms or 'air punching' if your mobility is limited.....anything is better than nothing. If your mind is set on it, you can do it! It won't be easy and it won't be quick, but don't give up!!

If you're not sure on diet changes, make your diary public.......those who are your real friends won't criticise but will give helpful advice.

I'll be happy to add you as a friend.
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I would love to support you. Friend me! We can get through this together!
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Way to go for you. I know without a doubt that the first step is the hardest. And after that, it's all about keeping going. Even if you emotional eat one day or two, Even if you fall off the wagon. Always remember to dust yourself off and jump right back on. It's a marathon not a sprint so losing weight slowly is what will be the best for your body and keeping it off. You are amazing. This site will work for you. It has saved my weight loss life. My journey was a different weight than yours but, My total loss when I get to my goal weight will be 180 pounds. I would love to add you. I'm always here for encouragement and support and I've been at this over 2 years, I may be able to answer some questions for you as well. Feel free to message me anytime.
    Kimmie
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I wanted to congratulate you for taking this first step!

You can do it - many here have lost 100+ pounds - in fact, there's a group for that (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/685-100-lbs-to-lose) and I'm sure you would get a lot of support and advice from those folks.

Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • EmmalineHarris
    Options
    Hi Dani,

Welcome to MFP and let me just applaud your courage in taking this step! I don't really have any great words of wisdom or advice, other than to let you know that while, sure there are people on this site of all different sizes, I assure you we all have the same insecurities, the same tendencies to over-eat, binge eat, emotionally eat...the same issues with motivation and self-esteem and the temptation to throw in the towel and quit trying because some days it just feels so useless. But don't give up! Even when you "fall off the horse," get right back up again. Isn't your life and happiness worth it? I don't know you, but I'm confident in saying that it is. You go, girl!
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Dani,

Good for you for taking these first few steps, going to the doctor and joining here. I don't have as much to lose as you but I'm generally of the same mindset. I am just not looking forward to it. I know it needs to be done, and generally, I want to do it, but the actual execution trips me up sometimes.

It's a daily struggle for me to say no to sweets, soda, etc., and to remind myself and force myself to get up and exercise. But start with little things. Cut one thing out of your diet at first, like soda, add a salad to dinner instead of a heavier side. Gradually work in other things, take something else out of your diet, take a 10 minute walk, etc.

It's all about baby-steps but you've taken the first one!

Feel free to add me.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    4000 calories gives you a lot of wiggle room. I would start eating lean meats and tons of veggies and fruit, switch to diet soda if you must drink soda at all (I drink the flavored sparkling water you can buy at Walmart instead). You don't have to cut out everything you love, you can still indulge in treats... you just need to be accountable for the calories you're consuming and either make sure they're in your budget or exercise enough to burn it off.

If I were you, my first step exercise-wise would be to get out and walk! I much prefer the outdoors to gyms, so I'm always looking to go for a walk or a run. Walking is easy on the joints and, more importantly, it gets you moving. If it's cold or wet outside, the track or treadmill at the gym is a great option. I'm struggling with a knee injury currently, so I'm trying to walk despite my depression over not being able to run. I always take music with me and I use that time to think/plan/worry/be peaceful... whatever I need at the time.

You've got some great advice already in this thread and you're headed in the right direction! Here's the plan I'd follow:

1. Start logging every bite.
    2. Make some good food choices (healthy food can be decadent when prepared right)
    3. Cut out a couple bad things you know aren't helping at all (regular sodas, candy, etc.)... you want your food to fuel you, so fods with no nutritional value and tons of calories are only hurting you.
    4. Get out there and move at least 20-30 minutes every day, whether you decide to walk or do some sweat-inducing cardio at the gym.

You can do it! Feel free to add me!
  • 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hey Dani!! No matter what size you are, or how much you have to lose, we are all in this together!! We can do this.. YOU can do this....You are now on your way to a healthier you.
  • pipper52
    Options
    WOW Dani.....if all of the above doesn't let you know how much we all care nothing will :happy:
    We all have different size mountains to climb but our struggle is the same....the battle to control our eating habits instead of them controlling us. I've only been registered since yesterday but I'm already feeling part of a pretty special community. There's so much comfort in knowing I'm not on this journey alone. Mine has been a life long one, I've been bigger, I've been smaller but I never give up completely.....don't like the alternative - one life darlin, one life.

The exercise bit scares me too.....I've never found a sport I enjoy. Do you enjoy music? If so, put on your favourite band (preferably not chill out lol) and dance your heart out in your chair! Move those arms, tap those feet, wiggle til you laugh out loud! One day soon you're gonna feel sooo much better you just want to get up outta that chair and shake that bootie! Heck, maybe we should have a group dance in, it'll travel the globe!

I wish you so much strength, positivity and positive can do attitude. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • sophieelouu6
    sophieelouu6 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm not your size but YOU CAN DO THIS DANI.
  • muffle1969
    muffle1969 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I watched a program on someone that was around 600lb a while ago, and his personal trainer simply made him stand up from the sofa over and over again. It may not seem like a lot but he said he's having to shift his weight up and down, it got his heart rate going and it was a good starting point. Once you've gained some mobility then you could look at doing small walks, and work it from there.

This is awesome advice. As I was reading your post, and this, I recalled back when I was almost 300 pounds several years ago. And then I remembered 3+ months ago when I started doing this the healthy way. Even at only 268 pounds, I was in pain all the time and could barely move -- it was compounded with low back compressed disc and fibromyalgia. With just a 30lb loss, I've been able to lower pain meds and I'm in significantly less pain.

You could try moving around in a swimming pool. I go to LA Fitness' lap pools, and I'm now to where I can swim laps, but I had to start just walking back and forth across the pool. The water lessens the pain impact a lot, and your muscles get work because you're pushing through the water. If swimming is not an option, the whole couch-to-standing thing is a brilliant idea. Believe me, once you start that daily, you'll move forward quickly.

I have no doubt you can do this! And you'll feel awesome pretty quickly!
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Add me as a friend if you would like!
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    You took the first step, and you're here, WELCOME! Stating your weight to all these strangers took a lotta guts- good for you! Take it one day at a time, but most importantly believe in yourself!

Check out one of my dear friends and his accomplishments for some inspiration: www.gettingfit4life.com
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm really proud that you took that first step at the doctor! The only advice I can really give is to eat A LOT of healthy food. Fill yourself up as much as you need to, but do it with nutrient dense food. Don't eat low-fat sugar-free blah blah. Don't eat garbage. Try fruits, veggies, meats.