About 600lbs, Time to Lose a Few

Options

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome, and good luck on your journey :).

In trying to figure out how to eat below 4000 calories, it may be worth posting what you usually eat in a day. Dont be ashamed, you've made the effort to start getting healthier. It may help to figure out what you can change and what sorts of food it may be better to eat :)
  • 1ocean1girl
    1ocean1girl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hi Dani!! You are already on your way to a healthier lifesytle; going to the dr did take alot of courage and it was the first step. The road ahead will not be easy (everyone here knows that) but it will be rewarding. Like others have said; start slow and one thing at a time. If you try to start off with a huge change in diet and exercise (thats new to you) it can be overwhelming. Start by logging your food, trying walking extra throughout the day (even if its to the mailbox or down to the corner). You will notice changes and it will get easier to do more. We are all here for the same reason; to get healthier. YOU CAN DO IT:wink:
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My top weight was 376, but my mobility was greaty affected. I've lost just over 100 pounds without really doing any exercise at all (and without surgery). I feel like I'm at the point now where I need to start doing some, and it is a little easier to move around, but not as easy as I'd like.

It's important to try to figure out what small changes you can do today that will help you tomorrow. Journaling your food is probably the most important one. Once you feel like you have that down, take small steps towards adding things to it - increasing water intake, increasing protein and fiber intake. One of my nutritionists told me that if you focus on lean, healthy proteins, the fat and the carbs will take care of themselves, and I've generally noticed that to be true. If you get hungry, look to fiber and protein first, then it's okay to other possibilities. Don't have a carb without a protein though, and it's better if you have the protein first.

One of my doctor's said if there's any time that it's okay to be selfish in the quest to get healthy, it's now. Remember - it isn't a race. You're in it to win it for you, and you're worth it.

For what it's worth - and good luck! You can do it!
  • shannonmci
    shannonmci Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Welcome Dani! You will find a lot of great support here! This really is THE place to be to get healthy. Feel free to add me if you like. I would love to follow your progress. I am so proud of you for taking the first steps to a healthier you!!
    -Shannon
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Dani - Great big virtual hugs to you for joining MFP!!! For me finding and joining MFP on April 28 of this year changed my life. I am not in your weight range but I was on a similar road and had grown Obese and what was worse I did not know how to get off that road and onto a healthier road. MFP has provided the tools and community to now get me on that healthier road. What have been some important things I have learned:
    - Log everything you eat everyday. The only way you will know if you are on a healthier road is if your average net calorie consumption is under your target. To continue with the road analogy. The daily net calorie amount is your speedometer and you need to stay under the speed limit.
    - Set a target that you will likely be able to achieve/exceed. For example I set a target to lose 1 lb a week for 1 year. This did not require me to immediately change my eating and exercise habits but at a minimum I would be down 50+ lbs in a year. Well it turns out that so far I am exceeding this target and I get the benefit of both feeling good about myself and I will lose a lot more weight.
    - Do not let the scale discourage you. If you are logging everyday and your average net calorie consumption is under your target you will lose weight. The scale will follow your new healthier habits.

So welcome to MFP and "Carpe Diem"!!
  • Scorpia1997
    Scorpia1997 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree that this is the place to get the support to lose weight. I commend anyone on their decision to become a healthier person, regardless of initial size.

I am a big fan of Chris Powell and have watched his shows & podcasts. He is famous for working with the super obese and has a few simple things he does with every single one of them. He teaches them proper nutrition (the girls are generally on an 1800 cal/day diet but that is under a doctor's close supervision) and he gets them moving in a way that works for them. Just moving a little more each day is progress in the right direction.

Pick one goal each week, like already suggested, try cutting out soda or in my case, creamer laden coffee... Then you might want to look at only shopping from the outside track of the grocery store (where all the produce and fresh food is!).

I don't know what your home life is like, if you have support there, if there is someone there that has the ability and desire to help you cook more healthy meals. Healthy meals don't have to be bland or taste like cardboard. I highly recommend taking a look at the recipes on Cooking Light's website, they are delicious and full of flavor. Clean Eating Magazine also has a budget friendly plan for those of us that need to stick to a budget.

Best of luck to you!
  • JeanetDK
    Options
    You've taken a huge step forward just by joining this site. I'm not your size although when I first started working out I felt your size. I'm not sure if you should focus on exercise as one the first things but in a class I took on stress management earlier this the teacher told this great about a woman who had changed her life simply by getting up from her couch and walking in place. At first it wasn't more than a minute but slowly she build the strength to start walking. It just shows that even the smallest of things can help getting you in the right direction.

Good luck with your weightloss. Feel free to add me, I'd love to give you my support!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Welcome Dani! Take it one day at a time and don't expect perfection and you have to really want it because it will take a lot of perseverance, patience and positive thinking to lose weight and mostly the will to never give up. No matter how you choose to lose weight the mantra for you would be I will never give up. Success is never giving up!!

MFP does work if you work it. It is not as hard as you think to eat less than 4000 calories if eating the right stuff.

As far as moving goes, just walk as far as you can and slow as you need to the 1st day and then the next day add a few more steps and so on. Once you do half a block or one block maintain that for a few days and keep adding. You will be surprised how much this will help you. Don't try to move too fast either. Just walk as slow as you need too. This is not a race.

You can do it, if you believe you can!! Positive thinking, persevere, and patience! My handy 3 P's and never giving up!
  • rachgarm
    rachgarm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am not your size but I am more than happy to help support you on your journey! I have lost the majority of my weight without exercise so I can definitely help with the food part of losing (which is really 90% of weightloss). Good for you and welcome to MFP!
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Way to go for taking that first step!

In terms of keeping your calories under 4000, your best bet is to start filling your pantry and refrigerator with healthy foods that give you good fiber, minerals, and vitamins. If possible, throw out any of the processed stuff that is not good for you (chips, frozen snacks like taquitos, etc, cookies, ice cream). I like to keep 1 or 2 unhealthy options in my kitchen, but not more because otherwise I get too tempted!

If you are eating healthy foods like chicken, fish, vegetables, whole grains, and fruit 75% of the time, you can give yourself a little leeway and have some calories for the not-so-healthy stuff. I find that when trying to change how you eat, it's better to make small steps that you can sustain. I know that for my mom, who started doing this a few months ago, she made changes in week increments, adding on like this:

1. Week one: cut out all sugary drinks (soda, juice, etc)
    2. Week two: get at least 3 servings of vegetables.
    3. Week three: Try to get at least 100 grams of good protein.

Maybe this would be a good step-wise way for you to start making changes? I suggest cutting out soda and sugary drinks first if you drink them normally, because they are the biggest source of empty calories. If you need a substitute, try buying the 0-calorie drink powder options.

Good luck!

Yes I love this!! I am wondering if sodas are part of the diet now Dania? And that is a tough one, especially if you don't like water, but that is one of the quickest ways to remove calories fast.
    I also don't buy junk food much- maybe once a month (tee hee- that time for chocolate and no one better get in my way). If its not in the house, you won't eat it.

I hope you are being medically supervised for diet and exercise, and soooo glad you are here and we can help you with what we have learned! :)
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    "It takes more courage to get to the starting line than to cross the finish line" (I forget who said that).

You can do this!
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You've taken the first step! It will get easier! Once you find the right plan of action for you...start with being a little more active, walking a bit more, cleaning the house more often, etc. you will find it gets easier to move and start upping what kinds of things you can do. I would highly suggest a personal trainer with the amount you have to use, if you can afford it. Even to just meet once to make a plan for yourself. Best wishes! :)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Good for you for taking the first step. You'll get tons of support on this site. It's not easy but will be well worth it. Small adjustments so you don't get overwhelmed is the best advice I have. Good luck!!!!
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    welcome aboard! I will add you.
    Cheers!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I'd make small changes to your diet at a time if you think it will help you adhere to it
    Sticking it out long term is more important than making a bunch of large changes quickly
  • slake5904
    Options
    Dani;
    Just read your post and I must say, I think it is very courageous of you. I am not in your weight loss catagory but just wanted you to know, someone is listening and I will be cheering you on. No matter how much weight anybody wants/needs to lose, we all have one thing in common...we don't like the way we feel, we want to make a change!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Check out Sean Anderson. He has a book ("Transformation Road") and a great (almost-) daily blog from his transition from 515 pounds to 2something (http://losingweighteveryday.blogspot.com/). I've exchanged many emails with him and am very impressed with his approach.

Best of luck. Start making the small changes you can towards where you want to be.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    First I want to say welcome and congrats on making the choice to change your life!

If your doctor didn't recommend any specific exercises for you, then I'd say start with things that would be easy on your joints. Find a gym that has a pool and or if you can afford it, get a few sessions with a good personal trainer just so you can get an idea of what you should be doing and make a game plan.

If you honestly log your food and make sure you're eating at a deficit, you will lose weight with minimal exercise. I think finding a great circle of support on mfp will also be a great tool and you can learn from others.
  • 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Dani, remember to take it slow. Especially when you start a workout plan. Might I suggest getting some small weights, say 2 or 3 pound weights and just do some arm stuff to get your heart rate up. Nothing crazy, but just sit and lift the weights over your head and even do little punches. Just remember to take it easy! As you can see by all the positive posts we want you and each other to succeed.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie, you can do this. It's going to suck at times, you're going to get fed up and frustrated and want to quit...but you can do this. Anyone can, MFP (myfitnesspal) will help if you let it. Track food, exercise the best you can and keep at it. Don't beat yourself up for an occasional slip up, because it's going to happen...just get back to doing things the right way as soon as possible.

The forums are great for support, but they can also suck. Depends on the type of person you are. Don't ask for an opinion if you don't really want one...most on here aren't afraid to say what they think. I, personally, find this a good thing, I like honesty no matter how brutal it is.

Add friends, they help A LOT!!!!!!!! Encouragement from you and for you, believe me, it helps.

The only way to make this work is watch your calories, and get as much exercise as you can stand, it gets better. Quick fixes, cleanses, fad diets, pills, or whatever else you may think will be a quick fix won't work.

If you truly want this, then you can do this and there are tons of people here who want to help.