cardio bunny... dont judge me

Options
I have seen a lot of hating for cardio lately.. Seems to me, the best workout is one you do. I go to the gym, do the elliptical or treadmill and it just.. frees my mind. If its not amazing for my physical health, at least it does wonders for my mental health. Thats just me anyways.. I wanted to give encouragement to people like me.

And before i get rocks thrown at me... I have some Jillian Michaels dvds that I do when I dont go to the gym.. The weights can be boring IMO..

My point... whatever work out gets you working out.. Do that! If you arent happy doing something, you wont stick to it.

Replies

• Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm a cyclist and have not lifted a weight in over a year.

People don't have to like it, just as they don't like it when I fly past them on the road :-)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Not only that, but it isn't all about calorie burn. Cardio is great for your health as it strengthens your cardiovascular system. HUGE benefits there.
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    I do cardio and lift. To each their own. At least people are doing something!!
  • alschultz33
    alschultz33 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I love cardio. Love to run (runners high is the best feeling). I also do the Jillian Michaels dvds with weights and I've had success all around.

The thing I've noticed about the message boards is half the people on MFP thinks they're an expert. They do what works for them to get fit, then suddenly they're an expert on all things fitness. If there was one way to do things that worked for everyone, we'd all be doing it.

Do what you enjoy :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's not an "either/or" question.

Fitness preferences go in trends and cycles. I am always amused at those who are currently infatuated with HIIT and go out of their way to denigrate steady-state cardio. They don't realize that steady-state cardio arose as a recommended form of steady-state exercise in response to the overuse of HIIT training in the 1960s. Or the recent popularity of "functional" type exercises and modalities that were popular 100 years ago. The fundamental research behind "tabata" workouts was done 50 years before Tabata designed his research protocol.

Overall, resistance training is an important and essential part of overall health and fitness, but it's not the only thing. And there are plenty of different ways to do it.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    hey if you like it, then do it... but if you dont like cardio yet still do lots of it, its just basically unneccessary for aesthetic goals.
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I've often heard it said (or seen it written) that the best exercise is the one you enjoy doing. Just going through the motions because you want the benefits isn't nearly enough; it's like Faxing your workout in.
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Not a single stone thrown at you, you should be happy. No, I agree that I am also enjoying elliptical trainer and cycling much more than the weights:)
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love cardio too - put the ipod on and go to my happy place. I also cycle and want to start running when I lose some more weight. I do some weights as well, but don't really care for weights at all.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Yup. A year ago I FORCED myself to heavy lift. I saw great results but I hated every minute of it. Now I walk (attempting to move towards running slowly) and box and bike and love every minute of it and couldn't be happier!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Love cardio, I"m a Cardio Queen too.. but I've been slowly learning how to incorporate strength training !
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    the majority of my exercise is nothing but cardio! i don't lift weights, but rather do strength training exercises when i'm not at home using my own body weight (push ups, standing calf raises, squats, etc) and when I am home and feel up to it, I'll use a resistance band to strengthen my back and arms. i'm morbidly obese so until my weight comes down a lot, I can use my own body weight for my workouts! after that, i may buy a small set of dumbbells and just add them into my cardio routine so I'm doing both at once.

not everything works the same for everybody. i don't get the hate either but i can tell you, cardio has done wonderful, amazing things for both my heart and lung function and it's the only time I absolutely love the feeling of sweat pouring off my body!
  • abrewer563
    Options
    I agree! I do cardio and lift (well, I used to I've been on a break for a few months during my last semester of school) and I definitely like cardio a lot more. I'm good at cardio and it makes me feel good. I'd do cardio over lifting any day.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I like this thread.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    <<---Cardio junkie!
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree with you more, I am a runner and a cyclist and find no need to lift weights.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    As someone said, they are both important for different reasons. No need to hate on either. And as the OP said, if you enjoy doing something, do it. A workout you enjoy even if it may not be as beneficial as others is a better much workout than having the most beneficial workout (what ever that may be) that you won't continue because you don't like it. And life is to short to spend a lot of time doing something you don't like.

I run but in between training plans I do work to build my core. I don't like it as much as running but it helps my running in the long term so I put up with it to enjoy the running more. I still do some during training plans but not to the extent of off-season.
  • runnytime512
    Options
    Finally, positive remarks towards Cardioholics!

I actually stopped going to my old gym because there is a trainer there that would give me lip every time he saw me rocking out on an elliptical for an hour. That WAS my happy hour.

The thing is, when I complained to management, they gave me some canned speech about how unless I build muscle, all those hours on the elliptical will not mean anything.

That sure saved me $85/month.

I am the first to admit, yes, I lose inches faster and I feel great when I'm in a lifting regimen. But there is something kind of therapeutic about rocking out to my favorite jams and daydreaming while doing something monotonous and continuous like most forms of cardio.

You're awesome :-)! Do what makes you happy!
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Do whats right for you - I do a hybrid of both because I like how lifting makes me feel strong (and has changed my body comp) and cardio makes me feel fast (in my head anyway)

No judging, as long as you are moving your body thats awesome!