cardio bunny... dont judge me

Options

Replies

• taco_tap
    taco_tap Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You guys rock, Im glad I didnt get shunned for this thread. I was concerned about any noobs on here possible getting discouraged from reading all the post saying "do this, dont do that." RUBBISH! do what gets you (and keeps you) moving.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It's not an "either/or" question.

Fitness preferences go in trends and cycles. I am always amused at those who are currently infatuated with HIIT and go out of their way to denigrate steady-state cardio. They don't realize that steady-state cardio arose as a recommended form of steady-state exercise in response to the overuse of HIIT training in the 1960s. Or the recent popularity of "functional" type exercises and modalities that were popular 100 years ago. The fundamental research behind "tabata" workouts was done 50 years before Tabata designed his research protocol.

Overall, resistance training is an important and essential part of overall health and fitness, but it's not the only thing. And there are plenty of different ways to do it.

What he said....
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I love cardio. Love to run (runners high is the best feeling). I also do the Jillian Michaels dvds with weights and I've had success all around.

The thing I've noticed about the message boards is half the people on MFP thinks they're an expert. They do what works for them to get fit, then suddenly they're an expert on all things fitness. If there was one way to do things that worked for everyone, we'd all be doing it.

Do what you enjoy :)

Love your post! I've been thinking about this for a while. I'm sure there are some people who really do know what they're talking about - such as personal trainers or dietitians who may also use the site to keep themselves on track - but most of the people on here who feel compelled to tell you how you SHOULD be doing it simply heard something from a doctor, or a friend, or read something online, and suddenly they think they know the secret to losing weight. Everyone here knows something about diet, exercise, or fitness, and the community forum is a great place to gain knowledge, but every one of us is different. There are people on here who say, "you're not going to lose any weight with strength training; you need cardio," and others who emphasize strength training because "muscle burns more calories." Long story short, you have to do what works for you.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I think cardio is great, I do it myself, but people put WAY too much emphasis on cardio, cardio, cardio. I think alot of ppl want to see the instant gratification of seeing the scale move and so they will only do cardio. Weight training is SOOOOO important. I made the huge mistake of not weight training earlier on in my journey and I ended up w/ some loose skin that is now harder to tighten after the fact. Had I known then what I know now, I would've hit them weights a whole lot sooner. I have been lifting regularly since the beginning of this year and it so liberating not relying on the scale. The scale can be your best friend or worst enemy. I decided not to the let the scales predicate my success or my daily mood. Weight lifting transforms your body in a way that tons of cardio simply can't. Its not about bulking, its about defining your shape. I think eveyone needs both cardio and weights in their regimen, because they complement each other.
  • BrownEyedGrrl
    Options
    Wish I could do weights. Back and whiplash injury won't let me :(
  • samlankford
    Options
    I love cardio... I do a lot of insanity, the asylum, p90x2, mountain biking, running steps and things like that... I think it is FUN, I enjoy dripping in sweat!! :bigsmile:
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    To each their own! Seems like a lot of people want to bash others for not doing exactly what they do. I say mind your biz! lol I too love cardio... do some lifting here and there, but definitely enjoy cardio much more and, as you said, it frees the mind!

Plus I'm preparing for the zombie apocalypse... runnnn!!!!!!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Cardio is fine if it works for you. I've actually been considering increasing my cardio routine. Strength sessions are important too though.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I try to do an even mixture of cardio and weight lifting. I've found that has worked best for me :)
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I love my cardio!!

I am also trying to incorporate heavy lifting - and get more use out of my kettlebell. Id have to say that I am really liking the "tight muscle feeling" i get the next day after weights.

It's my reminder to keep up on the weights becasue I can FEEL the burn the next day.

wahoo!!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I am probably what you would call a "cardio hater." I think long duration cardio (i.e. spending an hour on a treadmill or an elliptical) is a huge waste of time if your goal is fat loss. I'm not going to get into why because it has been posted over and over again (here and everywhere else on the Internet). But cardio has other benefits, and if you actually like that stuff, and you do it because it makes you feel good, then why should you stop?

I would stress, however, that strength/resistance training has a place in EVERYONE'S fitness routine. To completely ignore it just because it isn't fun is pretty shortsighted. I don't particularly enjoy any form of exercise, any more so than I enjoy turning down dessert or a bourbon cocktail, but I do it because I know it's good for me. I like being strong and well-conditioned and at a healthy weight. Cardio, strength, diet, and recovery are all necessary parts of the equation.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I have always agreed that any exercise is better than zero exercise. If you enjoy what you are doing...you are more likely to keep doing it; therefore find something you LIKE and do that! However, you should not be afraid to try new things...you might find something new you like to add to your current regime. :smile:
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I agree. I love both actually. Cardio has helped me increase my endurance and it gives me an hour or so to meditate on my day. Especially if it's nice enough to walk outside. Also, walking can strengthen your lower body. Although I love my strength workout, it doesn't give me the same meditation/reflection time that cardio does. I personally think you need both (depending on your goals) :)
  • clb26
    clb26 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I try to do an even mixture of cardio and weight lifting. I've found that has worked best for me :)

Yeah that is what I do as well. I do three days of cardio and two days of strength training. I actually dislike both but I need to be healthier lol.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I love cardio too :) I have to force myself to lift. They both have benefits.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Cardio is good.
    Weight lifting is good.
    Cardio + Weightlifting = Best

Add flexibility, and you've hit the fitness trifecta. The sum all three together is greater than the sum of the parts. I don't know why people waste time arguing about the relative merit of any one piece of the fitness pie, when the whole should be the goal for everyone.
  • kazza2cats
    kazza2cats Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You just do what you enjoy otherwise you wont stick to it.

I found running and that's all I do :bigsmile: Love it! :heart:
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I think people should do both. I personally love how cardio reduces my stress and anxiety and how each session I buildnup more endurance. I also love strength training equally because I love to feel strong and the shape it gives my body.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Cardio is good.
    Weight lifting is good.
    Cardio + Weightlifting = Best

Add flexibility, and you've hit the fitness trifecta. The sum all three together is greater than the sum of the parts. I don't know why people waste time arguing about the relative merit of any one piece of the fitness pie, when the whole should be the goal for everyone.

Amen
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I admit...I am a Cardio Queen myself. I just don't see the point in weights. *sweat drops*

My parents do weights and cardio. I? Never seen the point. I am losing weight!