Replies

• YellowNightingale
    YellowNightingale Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    me too :'(
  • joolson45
    joolson45 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    value your education.. value your future.. value yourself... love yourself... dont be so insecure
    dont base your self worth on your relationship with the loser you are with...realize you dont need anyone else to make you happy
    live life to the fullest... take chances...laugh as much as you can... dont take yourself so seriously...
  • eggsmilkbread
    eggsmilkbread Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Oh god.

For one, practice violin more, don't play cello just because it was "for the fat girls." Stop with the whole "i'm so *****y and rude and dark i'm so cool" because it's anything but and people will think you're a freak and you'll have a hell of a time trying to get people to like you. Smile more damn it. Dress like an actual female and DO NOT PIERCE YOUR UPPER OR LOWER LIP. They'll leave weird scars years after. AND PLEASE DO NOT TEASE YOUR HAIR AT ALL AND DON'T RUIN IT BY DYING IT BLACK SERIOUSLY STOP THAT ****. Stop dressing in those huge goth pants, the band shirts are okay. Oh and once the inside thigh of your jeans rips so much people can see your thigh fat bulging out from behind, please throw them away and don't wear them 50 times more. And don't give away your virginity to Tony because you'll just end up dumping him the day after. You're a brat and I kinda dislike you now that I think about it.

-Your future self

Wow I think I just had a therapeutic session. Thanks OP! :laugh:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old Dana,

((Hug))

You ARE talented. When someone says you're not, it's because he/she is threatened by you. Trust me on that.

Don't gain the weight back.

Practice the piano every day. Don't stop. You can be good at it...stop telling yourself that you can't.

Pour all of the passion you will feel for your first boyfriend (now ex-husband) into your music instead. It's a much better choice...if you do that, things will turn out much differently for both of you professionally.

Don't choose bulimia. It takes over your life and you still battle it at age 40. Yes, I know that is hard to believe...but it's sadly true.

Don't answer that ad Jarrett Michaels placed. He is a criminal and will rob you blind.

A few months after you and your first husband split up, a guy will whistle at you at 3rd Street Promenade. Keep walking. Do not give that man your number. You will avoid years of humiliation by doing this.

You are lovely. Take all of that negativity, all of that self-hatred, and throw it out. Run it out...sing it out...write it out. It doesn't belong inside of you.

Believe in your talent and truly go for it. Don't let that niggling self-doubt hold you back.

Tell those self-righteous b*tches at Pennridge High to f*** off. You will do great things.

ETA: Spend more time with Scott. Tell him how much you love him. Who knows, maybe it will make a difference.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This thread is pretty amazing, and a lot of it makes me cry. I want to go back and give every 16-year-old of you all a hug and a big fat does of confidence.

To 16-year-old me:

Be confident. You are just right.

Don't compare yourself with other girls, don't compete with them, and do not let them ruin your self-image. Be your own best friend, and hang out with guys...they're way easier, friendlier and fun (at least until you're older and find ture friendship in other moms).

Don't shy away from Chemistry because it will come back to bite you in the *kitten* when you go back to school at 40. Just get your degree in nutrition the first time around...and think outside the box in that regard!

You will have great relationships, but make sure to stick with the ones where you can really be yourself. And you WILL meet your soul mate, after a few practice rounds (hint: look at your roommate/BFF! He's incredible!)

Know that whatever life hands you, you can handle it and it WILL make you a stronger person and is all part of the path that leads you to being, still....just right.
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me:

Sloooooooow doooowwwn. See a doctor. You have ADHD. And ease up on the pride bit, ya? You're missing out on some pretty good friendships because of it.

That is all.
  • freddy922
    Options
    Love yourself, don't be embarrassed of who you are. You are going to fall in love this year with someone.... You are going to ruin it twice and she is going to move away to other side of the country. You still will love her in 6 years time. Don't rush... You aren't ready.... Just stay as friends. Spend time with your mum, love her and appreciate her she is going to pass away when you are 20. Stay strong and work hard. You are a good kid.
  • victorialkay
    Options
    Dear 16 year-old-me, you have by now escaped some serious life issues, but you are about to make some horrible decisions that will haunt you for the rest of your life. Between now and about age 22, what you need to do is stay focused on what you love. Never ever stray from it. No matter what happens, even if you are homeless and sleeping in your car. Just do that, and keep focused on your goal and why you are doing that. You will be a better man for it, and you will be happy and not live with regret. No matter what, stick with what you love. Never stray.

agree!!! Lovely words!! I would say simi:flowerforyou: lar words. xx
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    dear 16 year old me,
    Stick to lifting weights...............forever.
  • shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Care less, you're hotter now than most of the popular girls.
    Live a little more. Stop being so scared of everything.
    Set some goals for yourself, you're just whirling around doing nothing.
  • KittenOfDoomage
    KittenOfDoomage Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me,

You aren't fat, as much as you think you are. Stay away from fudge cakes and walk more, stop letting your temper get the better of you and for god's sake set up a savings account and do NOT get a credit card.

(If only I could actually do this - but then, correcting my past mistakes would not make me the person I am today and I may not have my husband or gorgeous daughter!!!)
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    moisturise
    don't sun bathe but don't be scared of the sun
    eat your vegetables

and most of all: don't be scared to talk to girls. :tongue:
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me,

You have something special. Don't chicken out. Don't wait to take up challenges and opportunities that come to you; you can't control whether or when they show up again. And waiting can get to be a habit, it can get to be your life. Grow a pair. Take your life seriously. This is not a rehearsal.

Don't cave. Caving is not an option that will lead to what you want. Caving will lead to what you fear.

You're not perfect, but there is nothing seriously wrong with you. Your reactions are normal. What's going on is not your fault. You can't fix it. It is never possible to fix other people.

Defend your body, your interests, your time.

Things that start off feeling bad end worse. You have just as much power as anyone else. Don't let anyone else define you.

It is OK to be geeky. Stop spending so much time on your hair.
  • MariettaDelene
    MariettaDelene Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me,

A lot of changes are coming up. They are not as scary as you think. You are more prepared than you know. You have better grades than you tell yourself. Your body is perfect, so stop picking at it, mentally and literally. Keep fighting. Taking a stand is the only way to get what you want.

In the future, you'll make mistakes. You'll gain some weight. You'll go to a college that's night a right fit. You'll take a job that makes you work twice as fast just so you can go home early only to quit it a year later. That's okay. DO IT ANYWAY. Why? If you don't gain the weight, you won't learn how amazing it can be to fight for the body you want. If you don't go to the college that's a bad fit, you won't learn how to stand up for yourself to faculty, staff and financial aid. If you don't take the job that you hated, you won't learn that an office job isn't your deal. Those are essential to who you become, and it is worth it.

I don't want to change a thing about you. I become who I am right now because the decisions you and one year older you and two years older you make. And so on and so forth. And I love where I am right now, even if I'm a little pudgy, even if my dream job came with a strange twist and even if 2012 wasn't so great. I love where I am because I love WHO I am.

That may be the only thing I wish I'd learned sooner.

Sincerely,
    24 year old me.
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    - Give up the crush on that girl. Nothing is ever gonna happen, you're great friends but from different spheres of life.

- Get fit now it's worth it, you'll be surprised how much it changes.

- When you're 18 you'll get the chance to go and coach and play rugby in the USA, take it. Don't end up as a 30 year old wondering why you didn't and envious of a 19 year old team mate taking a similar chance in Canada.

- Don't bottle stuff up, talk to someone you trust, otherwise it will weigh you down and take a long while to get past.

- Stay sensible with money, don't gamble too much or buy too much crap.

- Enjoy life, don't worry about consequences quite so much.

- Value your friends now and moving forwards. You'll be surprised which ones you end up closest to in the long run.

- If you get your heart broken its not always someones fault, stuff happens or already has that no-one can help.

- Oh yeah and very importantly, learn to pick up on signals from girls more!!!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There's a lot I would tell my 16-year-old self, IF I could get her to listen....
  • Mslibb
    Mslibb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me... You're not perfect and nor will you ever be, but you'll do just fine. Enjoy the journey, and all it's ups and downs. xx
  • RyanneRose
    RyanneRose Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Dear 16-year-old me,

You're not fat, you're not ugly, and you don't need to hide in the corner. You've been trained for years to believe those first two things, but take it from your older self; you're better than fine the way you are. You'll only *actually* have a weight problem 11 years from when you are...and then you'll get your butt to work fixing it!

You'll make some good friends (you fit in with the misfits and drama geeks at your new school...and one popular girl, strangely enough) and have a few good times, but you'd have a much better time if you weren't so completely down on yourself all the time. Keep sticking up for your friends against the bullies. It may suck when the bullies go for you instead, but your friends appreciate it. They'll tell you that later. You're a good kid, and stronger than you give yourself credit for. You'll break down in class once after a particularly bad encounter, but your teacher will understand and be your favorite from then on.

Also, you should pick that violin back up. Your older self wishes you'd stuck with it. Keep drawing. Keep up with your archery, and be proud of your track success. Go To Prom! Even if you have to go stag, go to prom! You'll regret not going later if you don't. OH! Speaking of...your first boyfriend will turn out to be gay, your second will be a very bad influence mentally (and will cheat on you), and then you won't date again until you're 21, but that's ok. You marry that one! You'll be fine :)

-Your older self
  • gabijadc
    gabijadc Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Don't pay attention to how they're bullying you!
    And stop eating 3 boxes of ice cream and 5 chocolate bars every day! This will make you fat dammit!
  • Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 Year Old Me,

First of all, dump that lame *kitten* boyfriend, and get a better taste in men. He will start to try and control you, and you will let him. Start being nice to your teachers, and try hard. Stop skipping classes and start using your free time to revise. But when teachers get you down, tell them to shove it because you WILL do better than they predicted.

Stop looking at your friends for inspiration. That thin gorgeous girl... yeah her... she has anorexia and has been hiding it the whole Summer. She's not healthy and needs a friend right now, so stop trying to look like her and be there for her. You don't need to lose weight - trust me, you're thin and gorgeous, but you do need to tone up - your arms are always going to be your worst enemy, so get them looking good now.

Oh, and do NOT go to the sandwich shop at lunch - start taking note of what you're eating, because all those fried egg sandwiches are making you fat.

And lastly - take more photos!!!