Gym club memberships in January

Options
124»

Replies

• Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yeah, January is hard, but the annoyance usually drops off around mid February. I do stuff at home in January.
  • csi4us
    csi4us Posts: 74
    Options
    not to mention the increase of seeing people do really stupid things in the gym. last year i watched some lady fall through the elliptical because she got the idea to go backwards on it by standing backwards. i guess she didnt realize she could go backwards just by changing the direction of her foot motion

Hahahah rotflmao! (rolling on the floor laughing my *kitten* off) Yeah your right! I see people do some stupid *kitten* things all the time. Is it wrong of me to laugh? It's just so silly! Like when a person clearly can't run at 10 miles per hour but still up the speed on the treadmill and the they almost fall face first!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific day and/or time that the resolution crowd is most often there? Or not there?
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I do really notice the gym packed before January. Also just before and around summer. It's cool to always feel like a boss lol
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific day and/or time that the resolution crowd is most often there? Or not there?

Mondays seem to be really crowded. All the people that over ate on the weekend head into to punish themselves. LOL International bench press day also. : )
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    International bench press day also. : )
    no such thing for teenagers, everyday is a chest and biceps day :laugh:
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe how self-righteous this bunch is… you don’t lose 100, 105, 130 pounds without bumping your head a few times or annoying the professional gym rats. On your way to 100lbs overweight you never failed at a new years resolution?? Get over yourselves….

I didn't realize people were being self righteous for not enjoying long lines and waits and joking about it. Seriously? Get off your high horse much?

Personally I go to a pretty small gym so I'm hoping this won't be as big of an issue as it is when I went to a bigger chain gym.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Mmmm fresh meat! :glasses: Just stare and lick your lips. You will get all the room you need. :drinker:

can-i-get-your-number_o_GIFSoupcom.gif

Maybe I can get yo numba.

I don't have a gym membership at this time. I can probably get a kick @ss deal if I sign up then though.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    meh. no one at my gym uses the squat rack any way. i'll probably be going really early in the morning those first few weeks, or not at all.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I use our work gym and have the same thing. But since I go at 6:00am it's not quite as bad. Not as many crazy people that early ...

I say it lasts thru February... and we also have our outdoor runners come back in because of weather.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Mondays seem to be really crowded. All the people that over ate on the weekend head into to punish themselves. LOL International bench press day also. : )

Oh, yeah, that makes sense!! Of course.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. I've been going to a gym for a while, but, not a full year yet. I had never even thought about people making New Year's resolutions and pouring into the gym!!! I don't think I will like it, but, I will deal with it. If I find that I have to come at different times other than 1 - 2 pm, I will get up early or try coming in late...what ever will work for a month and a half or so. I can't just not come for that length of time. Thanks for all of your input...well...except for the little bickering about trying to make a point. I try to over look that foolishness. Seriously though, thanks to everyone who goes to gyms and stopped in and had the time to comment!!!
    Amy in Florida
  • Sweetfi
    Sweetfi Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm a SNAP Fitness member. That's the beauty of a 24 hr gym. :) I'll be sure to sign up early for classes tho. By the way, I love our SNAP club. Cheap and awesome PT Staff.
  • LucilleHighball
    LucilleHighball Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    the other bad thing about the january rush - at least what i've noticed at all the gyms i belong to - most gyms will hire more PTs to come in and walk around. if they assume you're a newb (which they tend to do with you're female and overweight) then they'll encircle you like a vulture to try and offer all kinds of "helpful" tips (which half the time are not) as a way to sale you on sessions

this^^^
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm actually really lucky in that we have a gym at work. And most people here take their annual leave in December and January.

Huzzah! The place is starting to empty already.
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    I kind of like the beginning of the year. I get done with work at 3:30 so I am usually able to get in and on a machine before the 5:00 rush. The Resolutionist's give me pure entertainment while I workout on the dreadmill. I am totally a people watcher and I have to agree they do some funny *kitten* when they don't know what they are doing. Cheap entertainment that makes my workout go by faster. I do get very annoyed at the packed classes though, I could do without that. I'll just have to get there 15 mins earlier to get my normal spot for about 3 weeks.