When do YOU go to the gym/workout?

Options
Just that- when you do workout/go to the gym? (Meaning time of day).

I plan to go early in the AM before 7. Based off reading some of the threads, ill avoid some of the crowds/people who cause issues.

Replies

• alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I just started going this month, and have been going at different times to see how crowded it was, and when I felt most comfortable. My observations and preferences so far:

The good:
    Weekend early mornings - very few people there before 10AM
    Weekday really early mornings - only the dedicated

Okay:
    Weekdays late afternoon - moderately busy, lots of highschool age kids (likely close to right after school timeframe)

Bad:
    Weekdays around 9 to 10:30 - very crowded due to popular classes
    Weekdays around noon - AWFUL 'cause that's when the staff at my gym is cleaning aka constant vacuum cleaner in the background
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Alaskaang's take seems just about right. Yes, you have to go before 7 a.m. on the weekdays to find the gym uncrowded; seems to me people come in between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. to work out before going to work at 9 a.m.
    I find -- at my little gym where it is very important to go when it is uncrowded -- that the least busy time is during the week from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. You would think people would come in on their lunch hour, but they don't. There is a morning crowd, and they are done by 11 a.m.
    Before 10 a.m. on weekends is good too.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    my youngest gets on the bus at 830am, so I leave right after he does. I am usually at the gym by 845am. It is moderately busy then, but not too bad. 90% of the time I can find a treadmill when I want one, and don't have to wait more than a minute or so for any of the strength machines ( transitioning away from machines and into free weights).
  • Martoch
    Martoch Posts: 166
    Options
    Either right after work or later in the evening - I can't remember the last time I did a morning workout (years ago).
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    at lunchtime - i'm lucky my office has a gym and when the weather is nice i run outside at lunch. on the weekends i get outside and run anytime between 10 and 4 (just depends on my day).
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I just started going this month, and have been going at different times to see how crowded it was, and when I felt most comfortable. My observations and preferences so far:

The good:
    Weekend early mornings - very few people there before 10AM
    Weekday really early mornings - only the dedicated

Okay:
    Weekdays late afternoon - moderately busy, lots of highschool age kids (likely close to right after school timeframe)

Bad:
    Weekdays around 9 to 10:30 - very crowded due to popular classes
    Weekdays around noon - AWFUL 'cause that's when the staff at my gym is cleaning aka constant vacuum cleaner in the background

Thats good to know- thanks!
  • johnieC
    Options
    during the week i go straight from work (about 4 p.m.) & on Sundays i go at 1p.m.
    no reason other than its what works with my schedule
  • tebcolorado
    Options
    I love going after 8pm. It's SO quiet and most of the machines have little to nobody waiting to use them. Our Bally's is open til 10pm on weeknights so it gives me plenty of time to get everything done and then I sleep really good because my muscles are well used and relaxed.
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    5am works best for me.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Over the years I have had to use a few different times. I went at lunch because I am hanging around for an hour anyway (2pm), I went after work at 7pm, and when it's nice I run before work at 5:30 or 6 am. I am always up early on weekends, so I go when they open at 7 am.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    4:30 in the morning m-f, whenever my kids get me up and give me the tv on saturday.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    In the summer I go in the evening (and I also exercise at the outdoor park on the way to the gym). In the winter I often go at 10:30 am or 11:30 am. It gets dark at 4 here, so I don't want to be walking home in the dark. Lunch time is usually the most crowded and everyone is very busy to do their workout and get back to work. Weekend evenings are not crowded because people are out socializing.
  • tejaday
    Options
    Yeah, i find it better and more productive to workout in the am. It's seems that in the afternoon a lot of people go to the gym to also socialize... nothing wrong with that...but i'm there for business and only have a time frame because i have a 8 months old.
  • ghost2012
    Options
    0600 every other day,(T,Th, SA) and 1600 the other days(M,W,F,Su)
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Really depends on your gym, I tend to be able to arrive there at around 8:45-9 all depending on how buses were getting there (I have to take 2, one runs every half hour until 9:30, the other runs every half hour ALL day and the first bus tends to be late so being on time to catch the second bus is rare...)

For my gym early morning (got a ride there once...) and around lunchtime are the WORST. Though I did go today and found ALL the treadmills empty? Though I went closer to 1 due to a few factors making me MUCH later than usual! But yeah early morning around 7-8 has all the working stiffs getting a workout in before their day starts and at noon the high school kids from across the lot tend to hang out there, though they tend to stay out of my way - I make sure they smarten up quick!!
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I go between 1 and 3 in the afternoon. Because I am retired I can go almost any time so when I joined I asked when they were least busy. They said after the lunch hour crowd and before the high school kids were free.

When I was working full time it used to annoy me to find myself behind some old coot who could shop any old time but had chosen to hit the grocery store at 5:30 on a week night ....the times when all those people with 9-5 jobs were dashing in for the makings for dinner. Now that I AM an old coot, I try to show a little consideration for those who don't have a lot of choice about what time they hit the gym, the grocery store or whatever.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I am there after work and after 1 hour commute so anywhere from 6 to 7pm. My gym is in a small town so it's not overly crowded at any given time.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    4:15 a.m. for me. It really starts my day off right.
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    Due to very busy family schedule, and working full-time - I go during my lunch hour.

For my gym, I find it is a great time, because it isn't very crowded. Those in great shape are very nice and helpful. Most everyone at that time is either (significantly) older, or like me working on getting into shape.
    i don't feel intimidated by the crowded - extremely fit group, or have to deal with the 'meat market' crowd.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    4:30 am about 4 to 5 times a week.