What am I doing wrong?

Options
I eat around 1600 calories everyday. Once a week I eat 2000 calories. I exercise 4-5 times a week each time burning 500 or more calories.
I am still not losing any weight?. I don't understand. I am female 5'4 weighing 117 pounds. I am trying to lose 7 pounds to fit into my clothes better.
Thanks everyone for your kind feedbacks.
A x

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    What are your exercises? How are you getting that calorie burn number?
    I would figure out your TDEE (maybe using scooby's calculator) and you would probably be moderate activity depending on what you do (1 hour doing mostly cardio or strength training with little rest would qualify) and take a 5% cut from that number and eat that since you don't have much to lose..
    Also if your doing all cardio workouts, you might want to incorporate strength training to lose those inches as your body weight is pretty low for your height.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Eat less, exercise more, or exercise better.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1600 calories everyday. Once a week I eat 2000 calories. I exercise 4-5 times a week each time burning 500 or more calories.
    I am still not losing any weight?. I don't understand. I am female 5'4 weighing 117 pounds. I am trying to lose 7 pounds to fit into my clothes better.
    Thanks everyone for your kind feedbacks.
    A x

You're at a healthy normal weight and you don't need to lose anymore. If you want to see a change in your body composition eat at maintenance, ease up on the cardio and lift heavy weights. Or just buy bigger clothes.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You are already in the healthy bmi range, so your body will not want to give up any more weight without a fight!

If it's fitting into clothes you are after, I'd do some strength training, and ignore the arbitrary number on the scale.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Everyone basically hit the nail on the head. You are at a healthy weight. Your body doesn't want to lose more weight. However, it would appear your brain would like to lose INCHES. To achieve a loss of inches, you need to lift heavy.

And before you freak out about "bulking up", I promise you it is near IMPOSSIBLE for a chick to bulk up without taking non-approved stimulants and supplements. You've got to work for it, and 3 pound hand weights are NOT going to get you there.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You probably should focus on lifting if you want to see a sleeker body composition. Your weight is outstanding! I'm only an inch taller and outweigh you by nearly 20 lbs and I'm pretty stoked by my size 4/6 jeans! But, I find that strength training was the big game changer for me. I run as my main cardio. But without the weights, I wasn't getting the "look" I wanted. I added stregth training and another 12 lbs dropped and I hit the 4/6 pants size. The scale hasn't really made any dramatic improvements since May, but I can tell when I've gone more than a couple of weeks without some strength work!!!
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If you want to see a change in your body composition eat at maintenance, ease up on the cardio and lift heavy weights.

Agree with lifting heavy. You don't want to lose weight; you want to lose volume. :)
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    start lifting. my weight hasn't changed much in the last 8 weeks but I've lost almost two sizes on my pants/skirts.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You are 3# above the "lowest" recommended weight for your height. Lift some weights and stop the obsession with the number on the scale. Work on loving your body and what it can do. You are already lean, get stronger.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    buy slightly bigger clothes?

Don't try to lose more weight, lift heavy and you will see the changes in your body you want.
  • semousse
    semousse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You probably should focus on lifting if you want to see a sleeker body composition. Your weight is outstanding! I'm only an inch taller and outweigh you by nearly 20 lbs and I'm pretty stoked by my size 4/6 jeans! But, I find that strength training was the big game changer for me. I run as my main cardio. But without the weights, I wasn't getting the "look" I wanted. I added stregth training and another 12 lbs dropped and I hit the 4/6 pants size. The scale hasn't really made any dramatic improvements since May, but I can tell when I've gone more than a couple of weeks without some strength work!!!

I agree with her. Think about all of us that wish we were at least in a 9/10 or 7/8 be grateful that you are where you are and focus on the strength training like the others are saying and the rest is history.......
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is a healthy 20, if you lose 7lbs you'll be underweight for your height. I think you should stop trying to lose weight, and focus more on weights :smile:
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other comments, I know you may not want to hear it, but i would work on loving your body a little more! Also our bodies have an ideal weight, and its not easy to get below a weight our body is comfortable with. I would keep your diet the same and just work on toning. at 117, toning and muscle mass makes all the difference!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    My suggestion: eat at or very near maintenance, strength train.
  • tashiaberman
    tashiaberman Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding? I was 5'4" and 115 lbs until I had children, then 120 lbs until I was 40ish. My goal for weight loss was to get back to my "normal" 120 lbs., but my doctor told me he thought 135-140 lbs was more appropriate for my age. Even if you're a youngster under 30 years old, at that height you do not need to lose any weight. If you were 17 years old I'd say the same. Don't fall into the trap of anorexia by believing that you are never thin enough. It could be that you are not losing weight because your body fat level is low enough that there really is no more to give. If you continue past the point that you have consumed the majority of your body fat, your body will begin to cannibalize muscle.
  • Aish30
    Aish30 Posts: 43
    Options
    Millions thanks for everyones' fantastic reply.
    I have an elliptical machine at home and use it three times a week for 70 minutes or so each time.
    I am also a keen cyclist ( a wee bit too obsessive at times ) and cycle around 60 miles a week. Cut down from 150.
    The trouble is I have been doing following the same routine for the last five years. It's because I am terribly hyperactive and need to exercise to burn off the extra energy!
    My weight has never been a concern to me before neither has the amount of food I eat. I am pretty much a clean eater during the week. Except for once a week.
    I am wondering whether I am unable to lose any weight as I have been following the same routine for such a long time?
    Or do I need to eat more? The calorie calculor on here says that I should eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight but I seriously cannot survive on 1200 calories. That's so little!. Also, I have never had breakfast in my life so I wonder whether I ought to start?. The scent of food makes me sick in the morning. It ruins my whole day.
    I appreciate everyones' suggestions for strength training but I seriously hate it. I don't want to look bulky as I have a petite frame.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Try mixing up your workouts. But you're already technically underweight, so it will become more and more difficult to lose more. The closer you get to your goal weight, the harder it is. It sucks!! Lol
  • Aish30
    Options
    Are you kidding? I was 5'4" and 115 lbs until I had children, then 120 lbs until I was 40ish. My goal for weight loss was to get back to my "normal" 120 lbs., but my doctor told me he thought 135-140 lbs was more appropriate for my age. Even if you're a youngster under 30 years old, at that height you do not need to lose any weight. If you were 17 years old I'd say the same. Don't fall into the trap of anorexia by believing that you are never thin enough. It could be that you are not losing weight because your body fat level is low enough that there really is no more to give. If you continue past the point that you have consumed the majority of your body fat, your body will begin to cannibalize muscle.

I would never become anorexic as I have a very healthy mind. Most of all, I love food to bits. I have put on 19 pounds during the last year and my clothes are tight on me. I hate that feeling. And yes as someone mentioned I can buy a new wardrobe but that would mean letting go of all my most loved and cherished clothes and that upsets me. Thank you for your kind concern. I would bear that in mind.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Millions thanks for everyones' fantastic reply.
    I have an elliptical machine at home and use it three times a week for 70 minutes or so each time.
    I am also a keen cyclist ( a wee bit too obsessive at times ) and cycle around 60 miles a week. Cut down from 150.
    The trouble is I have been doing following the same routine for the last five years. It's because I am terribly hyperactive and need to exercise to burn off the extra energy!
    My weight has never been a concern to me before neither has the amount of food I eat. I am pretty much a clean eater during the week. Except for once a week.
    I am wondering whether I am unable to lose any weight as I have been following the same routine for such a long time?
    Or do I need to eat more? The calorie calculor on here says that I should eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight but I seriously cannot survive on 1200 calories. That's so little!. Also, I have never had breakfast in my life so I wonder whether I ought to start?. The scent of food makes me sick in the morning. It ruins my whole day.
    I appreciate everyones' suggestions for strength training but I seriously hate it. I don't want to look bulky as I have a petite frame.

I'm only 5'5" and am not bulky. You don't need to lose weight, you need to burn fat. Cardio/eating less is not going to do that for you at this point. Strength training will change the shape of your body so that your clothes fit better. You WILL NOT get bulky unless you specifically train/eat to get bulky. Do yourself a favor and do a little research on the subject or talk to a trainer at your local gym.
  • Aish30
    Options
    Everyone basically hit the nail on the head. You are at a healthy weight. Your body doesn't want to lose more weight. However, it would appear your brain would like to lose INCHES. To achieve a loss of inches, you need to lift heavy.

And before you freak out about "bulking up", I promise you it is near IMPOSSIBLE for a chick to bulk up without taking non-approved stimulants and supplements. You've got to work for it, and 3 pound hand weights are NOT going to get you there.

Yes that does make me freak out lol