What am I doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• mumtowandz
    mumtowandz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would say maybe it's not how much but what you are eating. Journal and take a good look at what you are eating over a week, and lift heavier. My trainer and I have jacked up my calories a bit and now I am losing. Consider how busy and active you are. Are you getting enough calories consistantly throughout the day? Are you eating regular small meals instead of only 3 big ones? Change up your routine, and aim to lift as heavy as you can manage. Good luck, it can become frustrating when we plateau. Don't forget to get enough sleep:) Best of luck.
  • Aish30
    Aish30 Posts: 43
    Options
    Millions thanks for everyones' fantastic reply.
    I have an elliptical machine at home and use it three times a week for 70 minutes or so each time.
    I am also a keen cyclist ( a wee bit too obsessive at times ) and cycle around 60 miles a week. Cut down from 150.
    The trouble is I have been doing following the same routine for the last five years. It's because I am terribly hyperactive and need to exercise to burn off the extra energy!
    My weight has never been a concern to me before neither has the amount of food I eat. I am pretty much a clean eater during the week. Except for once a week.
    I am wondering whether I am unable to lose any weight as I have been following the same routine for such a long time?
    Or do I need to eat more? The calorie calculor on here says that I should eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight but I seriously cannot survive on 1200 calories. That's so little!. Also, I have never had breakfast in my life so I wonder whether I ought to start?. The scent of food makes me sick in the morning. It ruins my whole day.
    I appreciate everyones' suggestions for strength training but I seriously hate it. I don't want to look bulky as I have a petite frame.

Unless you are a guy, you can't bulk without use of alternative products as your body doesn't produce enough testosterone TO bulk. Lifting is the best option for you to lose. I hates it at first, LOVE IT now because I see the results. Get off the elliptical and pick up some weights at least 3 times per week. In 3 weeks if you are really working it and putting in serious effort, you will see the results in how your clothes fit and how your shape.

Will do thank you x sounds very positive
    I am such a health freak, I wouldn't even consider putting any "alternative" product in my body!.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    How old are you? It's harder as we age.
  • Aish30
    Options
    I would say maybe it's not how much but what you are eating. Journal and take a good look at what you are eating over a week, and lift heavier. My trainer and I have jacked up my calories a bit and now I am losing. Consider how busy and active you are. Are you getting enough calories consistantly throughout the day? Are you eating regular small meals instead of only 3 big ones? Change up your routine, and aim to lift as heavy as you can manage. Good luck, it can become frustrating when we plateau. Don't forget to get enough sleep:) Best of luck.

I eat very well. I also sleep very well. I will try to change my eating routines though. I think it's a lot to do with my eating. I am probably under counting my daily calorific intake and need to up it. Thanks
  • jeniefrumdabloc
    Options
    Do not eat after 7:00 pm not even a snack, or fruit. Also no sodas including diet sodas, or juices , drink only water ! :flowerforyou:
  • Aish30
    Options
    How old are you? It's harder as we age.

30. I agree. But if I go by my family history we tend to "slim" down as we age and that's what I don't get!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you aren't doing anything wrong, other than eating at maintainence. I'd suggest either eating a little less, or upping the intensity (rather than duration) of your workouts without changing calories. Either should make enough difference to get those last few lbs off.

Also, don't worry so much about the scale. Just focus on getting to the point where your clothes fit the way you want.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1600 calories everyday. Once a week I eat 2000 calories. I exercise 4-5 times a week each time burning 500 or more calories.
    I am still not losing any weight?. I don't understand. I am female 5'4 weighing 117 pounds. I am trying to lose 7 pounds to fit into my clothes better.
    Thanks everyone for your kind feedbacks.
    A x

5'4" and 117 lbs? I was that size in college and wore a size zero. Why do you think you need to lose 7 more pounds? You are at a healthy weight.

Well a year and a half ago I was 98-107 pounds so it's quite a huge change for me. As I said my clothes are tight on me. I am quite happy at the weight I am but some people whom I met recently after a year and a half mentioned that I look "chubby" and that upset me as I have never been "chubby" in my life. I guess I thought if I fit better in my clothes then I won't look "chubby". I also don't want to throw away my favourite clothes. I suppose am just being silly.

I totally understand about the clothes thing! While it would be nice to buy some new stuff I have some old favourites that I don't want to have to throw away. As to your friends, maybe they just aren't used to seeing you with that extra 20lbs. I can't see a picture of you so can't really comment but I would doubt that at 117 you're chubby. You seem to have a good attitude to food and health but I do have to agree with the others. Strength training in whatever form, it doesn't have to be heavy lifting, you can just use bodyweight exercises to start. I personally love pilates. It helps to tone which I think is more what you need than fat loss. You may even gain weight but you'll look leaner and you're clothes will fit better which is a good thing. Join a gym, ask the instructors, maybe take some classes. See how it goes. Also maybe talk to a dietician and see about your calorie intake. They may be able to better recommend something more tailored to you. Good luck!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Do not eat after 7:00 pm not even a snack, or fruit. Also no sodas including diet sodas, or juices , drink only water ! :flowerforyou:

Ignore this - it's totally unnecessary.
  • Aish30
    Options

I haven't drank juice for the last 15 years. I don't also drink sodas. I only drink water. But I have dinner at 9 pm everyday. It's due to my lifestyle. Thank you x
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Do not eat after 7:00 pm not even a snack, or fruit.

This is c**p. When you eat doesn't really have an effect unless you're intolerant to something or have some other health issue. If you're a healthy person then it won't make any difference. Your metabolism doesn't slow down when you sleep and you don't need to kickstart it in the morning (so don't worry about breakfast, if you don't want it, don't eat it). Soem people prefer to eat breakfast as they feel it sets them up for the day which is fine. It's all about personal choice. But there aren't really any benefits either way. Whatever works for you and it clearly does work for you as you're not overweight at all.
  • Aish30
    Options
    Eat less, exercise more, or exercise better.

Retarded answer.

For the most part, people are correct....you're already at a healthy weight. BMI....that's a crock of ****.

Get your BODY FAT % checked. What you want to do is TONE. This requires muscle building. Your diary is closed and you make no mention of your actual workouts...

LIFT HEAVY THINGS. CUT FAT % = WIN.

Will do thanks
    How do I open my diary?
  • Aish30
    Options

This is c**p. When you eat doesn't really have an effect unless you're intolerant to something or have some other health issue. If you're a healthy person then it won't make any difference. Your metabolism doesn't slow down when you sleep and you don't need to kickstart it in the morning (so don't worry about breakfast, if you don't want it, don't eat it). Soem people prefer to eat breakfast as they feel it sets them up for the day which is fine. It's all about personal choice. But there aren't really any benefits either way. Whatever works for you and it clearly does work for you as you're not overweight at all.

Great answer. Thank you

That's what I thought. I have never had breakfast and always have dinner about 9 or 9.30. And I have never had an issue. I cannot understand the concept of not eating after 7 pm as I was under the impression that it doesn't matter what time someone eats as long as they don't overeat? If that makes sense?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

7:00 pm?? Geez, are we all supposed to eat the early bird special with the geriatric crowd now? I'll pass.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Less carbs, more protein. Try going with no bread for two days out of the week. Just vegetables and meat!
  • Aish30
    Options
    I eat around 1600 calories everyday. Once a week I eat 2000 calories. I exercise 4-5 times a week each time burning 500 or more calories.
    I am still not losing any weight?. I don't understand. I am female 5'4 weighing 117 pounds. I am trying to lose 7 pounds to fit into my clothes better.
    Thanks everyone for your kind feedbacks.
    A x

5'4" and 117 lbs? I was that size in college and wore a size zero. Why do you think you need to lose 7 more pounds? You are at a healthy weight.

Well a year and a half ago I was 98-107 pounds so it's quite a huge change for me. As I said my clothes are tight on me. I am quite happy at the weight I am but some people whom I met recently after a year and a half mentioned that I look "chubby" and that upset me as I have never been "chubby" in my life. I guess I thought if I fit better in my clothes then I won't look "chubby". I also don't want to throw away my favourite clothes. I suppose am just being silly.

I totally understand about the clothes thing! While it would be nice to buy some new stuff I have some old favourites that I don't want to have to throw away. As to your friends, maybe they just aren't used to seeing you with that extra 20lbs. I can't see a picture of you so can't really comment but I would doubt that at 117 you're chubby. You seem to have a good attitude to food and health but I do have to agree with the others. Strength training in whatever form, it doesn't have to be heavy lifting, you can just use bodyweight exercises to start. I personally love pilates. It helps to tone which I think is more what you need than fat loss. You may even gain weight but you'll look leaner and you're clothes will fit better which is a good thing. Join a gym, ask the instructors, maybe take some classes. See how it goes. Also maybe talk to a dietician and see about your calorie intake. They may be able to better recommend something more tailored to you. Good luck!

Thank you. I am saving up to buy a property so I really don't want to waste my money on a new wardrobe. Fantastic answer. I will bear that in mind. Thank you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Less carbs, more protein. Try going with no bread for two days out of the week. Just vegetables and meat!

Why?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Great answer. Thank you

That's what I thought. I have never had breakfast and always have dinner about 9 or 9.30. And I have never had an issue. I cannot understand the concept of not eating after 7 pm as I was under the impression that it doesn't matter what time someone eats as long as they don't overeat? If that makes sense?

Makes sense and your impression, as was the response, is correct.
  • Aish30
    Options

I don't think I can survive one day without carbs let alone two. Lol. Worth a try though. Thank you.
  • Aish30
    Options

7:00 pm?? Geez, are we all supposed to eat the early bird special with the geriatric crowd now? I'll pass.

Me too lol if I eat before 7pm and go to bed at 11 pm; I will wake up with a heart attack. Lol. I would hate to do that to myself. Lol.