skipping breakfast

Does anyone here skip breakfast to save more calories for later in the day? Was it hard for you to adjust at first? I really want to do this because I hate when I use up calories so early in the day but I'm pretty hungry in the morning. Or maybe my body just expects food because its used to eating within like 5 seconds of waking up. Any tips on adjusting? Thanks

Replies

• rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Does anyone here skip breakfast to save more calories for later in the day? Was it hard for you to adjust at first? I really want to do this because I hate when I use up calories so early in the day but I'm pretty hungry in the morning. Or maybe my body just expects food because its used to eating within like 5 seconds of waking up. Any tips on adjusting? Thanks
    Not if I can help it, but will have a piece of fruit rather than nothing - just so long as it is something to get the metabolism going.
    What I ended up doing as having more protein in the morning which keeps me fuller for longer and then normally can get away with just soup until major scoff time at Dinner
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    For me, skipping a meal is setting myself up to make bad choices at the next meal.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Does anyone here skip breakfast to save more calories for later in the day? Yes
    Was it hard for you to adjust at first? No as that is the way I eat naturally

It can take a little time for it to become a habit so its a more natural way of eating for you. You can try to play around with either eating less and less earlier or possibly gradually push back when you break your fast.
  • mjoslin1990
    mjoslin1990 Posts: 142 Member
    which I could say thats how I am, but I'm the opposite, I have to force myself to eat breakfast... I'm no expert but I've always been told to eat breakfast bc it's what gets your metabolism going.... just eat lower calorie breakfasts... likes eggs or something. they fill you up :)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Sometimes I eat breakfast, sometimes I don't, it depends how I feel when I get up. But don't think there are any health benefits either way.
    What works for one, may not work for another.
  • Sarauk2sf
    which I could say thats how I am, but I'm the opposite, I have to force myself to eat breakfast... I'm no expert but I've always been told to eat breakfast bc it's what gets your metabolism going.... just eat lower calorie breakfasts... likes eggs or something. they fill you up :)

Looked at on a daily basis there is no impact on your metabolism with regard to when you eat your meals. If you do not like breakfast, do not eat it unless it 1) impacts performance or 2) impacts your ability to adhere to your targets.
  • rubyjune27
    rubyjune27 Posts: 87 Member
    Yes regularly. It suits me to save my calories until later. If you are interested as this as a way of eating you can read more about leangains or 5:2. There are groups on this site and information on the net.

It is very hard to imagine that the human body evolved with a dependence on 3 meals a day, in fact its just not credible to belive the body has to have breakfast to function. Also the habit of 3 meals a day and eating something called breakfast is something recent in human history.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    For me, skipping a meal is setting myself up to make bad choices at the next meal.

Ditto. I skip breakfast and then ditch the healthy lunch I brought to work and go out for a calorie filled lunch instead because I'm so hungry!!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Don't worry about it at all - a lot of evidence is now showing that it's actually a very healthy thing to do. Check out 'intermittent fasting'.
  • hattie491145
    hattie491145 Posts: 85 Member
    If I miss any meal, even if I eat super late, I get terrible urges to eat again even after I do eat. Mostly though, I've heard you need to eat breakfast to boost the metabolism and kick start the calorie burning at a higher level. I have a yoghurt or an orange juice if I am not in the mood for something more substantial. :)
  • No way. Skipping breakfast sets me up to be tired, weak, grumpy and damn hungry!! Everyone is different but doesnt work for me at all.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    It works for some people, but it sounds from what you say that it's not a great idea for you - make good choices for breakfast, include some protein, you should be able to get something for under 250 calories that will keep you gong thorough the morning.

Don't look at it as wasting calories, look at it as fuelling your engine for the day.
  • F_Chord
    F_Chord Posts: 31 Member
    What I notice: everytime I try to save calories from breakfast, maybe not just skipping, but eating a bit less, I end up overeating for lunch [that I always have at work], making the wrong choice. I always try to save some calories for dinner, since I can cook for myself, but I've decided to do a decent breakfast, trying to keep it light for lunch, then I have necessarily a snack, since I use to walk home [50 min ca.] and then whenever I can I go to the gym, and then I cook, if I still have energy! :D If I don't, I always try to have something light-good to eat-easy to prepare at home [even some tuna will be fine, or plenty of fruit and veg]. Not considering this period of my life, too plenty of stress, I even had a little head-accident recently, it works for me in routine times! :) Good luck anyway, have a nice journey!
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member

yep, if I don't eat breakfast or very little I tend to eat tons mid afternoon
  • I myself think breakfast is essential, giving your matabolism a kickstart.
  • I love breakfast, used to skip breakfast all the time but that made me eat too much at lunch. Everyday I have 10 egg whites, 2 strips of bacon, oatmeal and a redbull total zero.
  • Sarauk2sf
    I myself think breakfast is essential, giving your matabolism a kickstart.

You do not kickstart your metabolism by eating breakfast. Some people may have better energy and therefore be more active so there may be an indirect impact on an individual by individual basis, but there is no such thing as kickstarting your metabolism

From a weight loss/metabolism perspective, intra-day meal timing is irrelevant assuming calories and macros are consistent.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    I myself think breakfast is essential, giving your matabolism a kickstart.

You do not kickstart your metabolism by eating breakfast. Some people may have better energy and therefore be more active so there may be an indirect impact on an individual by individual basis, but there is no such thing as kickstarting your metabolism

From a weight loss/metabolism perspective, intra-day meal timing is irrelevant assuming calories and macros are consistent.

This ^^^
  • I'm the opposite. I really struggle to eat so soon after I wake up, but I try and force myself to eat breakfast, but always limit myself to about 200 calories.

Coffee and a cereal bar is the best way for me!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    you mean intermittent fasting?? i do intermittent fasting.

http://www.leangains.com/2011/03/intermittent-fasting-for-weight-loss.html

lets say you finish dinner at about 8pm. now you fast for 16 hours. your first meal will be at noon.

this will be a little challenging for people, so start small. start skipping breakfast a day or two a week, and not eating for at first 12 hours. little by little you make it 14 then 16. you start to increase the days that you do this.

i haven't had breakfast in a while. it has not hindered my weight loss or energy level.

honestly, it feels like cheating, because i still have all my days calories to eat over a span of 8 hours. i love my big lunches and dinners.