skipping breakfast

Replies

• cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    It doesn't matter when in the day you eat your calories, but if you are really hungry at breakfast, you should probably eat because that can set you up to gorge at lunch.

My suggestion is to eat something small (if you like eggs, a hard boiled large egg is 70-80 calories and a good source of fat and protein to keep you full longer), and perhaps move it a little later every few days until you can just eat at lunch if that is how you want to set things up.

I enjoy breakfast a lot, but I also like having lots of calories for the evening, so sometimes I eat it, sometimes I just drink lots of coffee!
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Not eating breakfast really slows your metabolism! I hardly ever do it, unless it can't be prevented! I feel if you skip breakfast it causes that late morning-early afternoon drag! JUST NOT GOOD!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Not eating breakfast really slows your metabolism! I hardly ever do it, unless it can't be prevented! I feel if you skip breakfast it causes that late morning-early afternoon drag! JUST NOT GOOD!

no it does not.

JUST DOESN'T MATTER
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    You shouldn't skip breakfast because coffee is the most important meal of the day.

I'll raise my mug to that!
  • thinkpositive92
    thinkpositive92 Posts: 111 Member
    I don't particularly like breakfast(absolutely hate it!) I'd rather sleep that extra bit than eat it(although I'm overweight lol!).
    But I do try to pop something in while I'm driving like 5-10 roasted almonds(no added salt or additives) they act as a appetite suppressant(YAY!). Almonds also contain high amounts of dietary fiber, protein, vitamin E and minerals including phosphorous, magnesium and calcium. Although almonds contain a relatively high amount of fat, it is a "healthy" type of fat.. Almonds can also help with weight loss (research it!).
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    p.s. I skip a few meals, especially when I am busy or away from home or forget to eat one or the other...I am still burning fat just as well...as many have said already, timing of meals is unimportant, as long as you are hitting your goals for the day, some people only eat once or twice a day, if you can stomach it, do it...I like to spread things out a lot more, so I am getting four to six meals a day...timing does not matter, I used to work out at 5 a.m. for months before I changed jobs and I did fine on an empty stomach...
  • littlemeowmaid
    littlemeowmaid Posts: 114 Member
    You shouldn't skip breakfast because coffee is the most important meal of the day.

THIS ^
    Coffee is the MOST important meal of my day :D
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

nope, not true

yes true, but only depending on your body!

No, not at all from a metabolism perspective.
  • littlemeowmaid
    When you eat, you increase your metabolic rate by up to 30% (depending on what your eat) for about 3 hours, therefore if you eat breakfast you're increasing the amount of calories you're burning for that time, so yes it does effect your metabolism.
  • sleepygirl38
    sleepygirl38 Posts: 114 Member
    BAD IDEA! Eat a healthy breakfast. EX. non fat milk with honey nut cheerios is my favorite
  • Sarauk2sf
    When you eat, you increase your metabolic rate by up to 30% (depending on what your eat) for about 3 hours, therefore if you eat breakfast you're increasing the amount of calories you're burning for that time, so yes it does effect your metabolism.

Where do you get this information from?

I think you are thinking about TEF. However, TEF is based on the amount of food you eat. If you eat 1,000 calories it will be the same whether you eat it on one go or in 5 or 10 sittings.

Calories and macros being equal - meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss.

I suggest you read these so you do not keep getting confused.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html
    http://www.leangains.com/2011/04/critique-of-issn-position-stand-on-meal.html
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#frequency
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member

Where do you get this information from?

I think you are thinking about TEF. However, TEF is based on the amount of food you eat. If you eat 1,000 calories it will be the same whether you eat it on one go or in 5 or 10 sittings.

Calories and macros being equal - meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss.

^^This^^
  • littlemeowmaid
    Well I've studied fitness and nutrition for starters.
    I'm not sure what country you're from, but here's an Australian Gov website that backs it:

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Metabolism_explained
  • Ladyslippers
    Ladyslippers Posts: 186 Member
    I don't skip breakfast, but I do tend to make it a little lighter because I don't often wake up hungry. I'll have some coffee and a protein shake and that holds me until lunch time. When I was pregnant, I developed gestational diabetes and ended up on a "diabetic diet" which consisted of small, protein-rich, low-carb meals/snacks at about 3 hour intervals. That diet helped keep my blood sugar and energy level consistent. When the babies were born (2 separate pregnancies, both with GD) I lost weight quickly and realized that diet was a really good thing for me. Now that I'm doing something similar again, it's working again.

If I want to splurge on calories a bit, I exercise more to compensate. If I skip breakfast, I end up extra hungry later on and tend to go overboard when I shouldn't. This is what works for me, anyway.

ETA: I've lost 70 lbs so far. :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    No, because if I skip breakfast I eat more at night.

I have muesli and yogurt and fruit and coffee for breakfast, which is filling and under 200 calories.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member

This. :wink:

I have coffee for breakfast and either eat around 10am, or lunch time. I'm not hungry in the mornings and often don't have time to eat. Saving the calories is an added benifit. Having breakfast or not doesn't seem to effect my hunger levels at lunch.

However, if I were hungry in the morning, I wouldn't skip it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    I'm not sure what country you're from, but here's an Australian Gov website that backs it:

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Metabolism_explained

Your link shows absolutely nothing with regard to meal timing having relevance on metabolism.

Did you even read what I linked?
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220

Your link shows absolutely nothing with regard to meal timing having relevance on metabolism.

Did you even read what I linked?
    Probably not, your links are not supported by the Government of Austrailia.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    coffee

breakfast of heat misers.
  • millicent108
    millicent108 Posts: 8 Member
    I go to a nutritionist: she says never skip breakfast or any meal. She prefers I use the program that breaks your eating into three hour segments. She really believes in that; Also keep calories to at least 200 at breakfast & lunch. She says our body will be tricked into going into 'starvation' mode if we don't keep it up...burning up the muscle & not the fat. I used to have trouble at the end of the day, but now I don't using this method. Listen to when you are hungry. Look at the other area of the myfitness program, watching the sugars and salt distributions & amounts, proteins & fats as well; it gives you the amounts you need, tells you when you go over or under...I really like this part of the program. I know when I am in the 'red' for salt I usually am up in weight the next day. Actually this program tells us when we will go into 'starvation' mode so pay attention to that too.