picture of 4 yr old of what the school calls "Obese"

Options

Replies

• leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm really surprised by all of the defensiveness in these posts.

Fact: You can not determine whether someone is obese, overweight, underweight etc just by "looking at them". People over and under estimate the weight of people all the time. And if you are using the barometer of other kids you've seen to determine this, good luck with that. Kids don't have to look like mini-sumo wrestlers to actually be overweight or obese.

I think that people have issues with the term "obese" as it applies to kids, but this child's BMI is > 99% for age and by definition that is "obese". The word itself is so emotionally charged but the definition as used by the school is the correct definition.

I seriously doubt that the school or nurse told this child she was obese or fat and I don't see the harm in informing the parents about where she falls for her height and weight for her age. Her weight may not be a major issue right now but it could become an issue later if noone is paying attention. So all involved should take this as an FYI and make sure the kid is getting appropriate nutrition and exercise. That's all.

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I really don't get all the outrage.

^This. I think there is a huge misunderstanding here with the use of the term "obese" for children. The point of the note is not to call your GD fat, but to let you know that there is a large difference between her weight and height for her age. Personally, I would be thankful that the school brought it to my attention. It might be nothing to worry about, but it may also be something that you need to keep an eye on. I'd discuss this with the pediatrician and measure her again in 6 months. And I'd thank the school! I can't believe some of the comments in this thread!

yeah that!!

some of the comments are just ridiculous. You would think that the nurse sat the girl down and said 'guess what, you're obese' when I think we all know that didn't happen. It sounds like the parents and grandmother would prefer to be in denial and get everyone all worked up over the big bad school rather than just take the child to the pediatrician and see if there's really a problem. If there isn't, just send a note back to the school saying you followed up with the pediatrician, thank you for your concern. End of story.

In denial of what? The child is *NOT* obese. Her BMI is 20.3!!!!!

did you read anything that was posted? BMI for children is different than for adults. and based on the data FOR CHILDREN (of which she is), she is considered obese.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    <snip>You should be able to clearly see her ribs, can you?

What a ridiculous assumption. If a small child's ribs are showing, then they are probably underweight.

No, the poster that said that a healthy child's ribs show was correct (according to my son's paediatrician anyway).

All three of my children's ribs show clearly, and they are not underweight.

Well your pediatrician and mine will have to duke it out. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Fact: You can not determine whether someone is obese, overweight, underweight etc just by "looking at them". People over and under estimate the weight of people all the time. And if you are using the barometer of other kids you've seen to determine this, good luck with that. Kids don't have to look like mini-sumo wrestlers to actually be overweight or obese.

I think that people have issues with the term "obese" as it applies to kids, but this child's BMI is > 99% for age and by definition that is "obese". The word itself is so emotionally charged but the definition as used by the school is the correct definition.

I seriously doubt that the school or nurse told this child she was obese or fat and I don't see the harm in informing the parents about where she falls for her height and weight for her age. Her weight may not be a major issue right now but it could become an issue later if noone is paying attention. So all involved should take this as an FYI and make sure the kid is getting appropriate nutrition and exercise. That's all.

^This. I think there is a huge misunderstanding here with the use of the term "obese" for children. The point of the note is not to call your GD fat, but to let you know that there is a large difference between her weight and height for her age. Personally, I would be thankful that the school brought it to my attention. It might be nothing to worry about, but it may also be something that you need to keep an eye on. I'd discuss this with the pediatrician and measure her again in 6 months. And I'd thank the school! I can't believe some of the comments in this thread!

yeah that!!

some of the comments are just ridiculous. You would think that the nurse sat the girl down and said 'guess what, you're obese' when I think we all know that didn't happen. It sounds like the parents and grandmother would prefer to be in denial and get everyone all worked up over the big bad school rather than just take the child to the pediatrician and see if there's really a problem. If there isn't, just send a note back to the school saying you followed up with the pediatrician, thank you for your concern. End of story.

did you read anything that was posted? BMI for children is different than for adults. and based on the data FOR CHILDREN (of which she is), she is considered obese.

I saw the link from the CDC. The CDC is worse than the FDA when it comes to inserting politics into health and science. Anyone who thinks that little girl is obese must be blind.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Switching schools over this or suing them is going to cause this little girl a lot more grief than the original problem, which she is probably not even aware of.

Agreed!
    When my son was 4, we received the same letter from his Pre - K program. They did not offer to visit our home, but it suggested that we visit our pediatrician, and we did. We discussed his diet and his activity levels and it was suggested that he drank too much fruit juice, as it contained just as much sugar (and calories) as soda. We eliminated it from his diet and substituted water during snack times and his overall body shape improved. I never would have thought that my son was overweight, either (he was shaped like your granddaughter, a healthy pudgy). He is now 9 years old and is within a healthy BMI.

Good to hear from someone who took the suggestion in stride. There is always more to learn!
  • leeann0517
    Options

yeah that!!

I saw the link from the CDC. The CDC is worse than the FDA when it comes to inserting politics into health and science. Anyone who thinks that little girl is obese must be blind.

really? so you can tell just by looking at any single person what their BMI is and whether they are classified as overweight, obese or morbidly obese?

at the child's weight, just a few pounds is the difference between healthy and unhealthy. I do not see what the big deal is sending a letter home to the parents suggesting that they discuss it with their pediatrician or they can have a home visit from a nurse (since ya know a lot of people don't have health insurance and don't see a doctor on any sort of regular basis).
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Obese four year old

article-1017249-0111D21B00000578-892_468x562.jpg
  • stargazer008
    Options
    She looks like a normal 4 yr old girl.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    They sent home a note saying she was" obese" and they wanted a home visit (not my home, her moms home) to disscuss nutrition to control her weight.

Your granddaughter is beautiful. From the picture, she looks very healthy. The school has no business doing any home visit. If it were me, I'd be finding a lawyer.
    A lawyer?? That's crazy talk. It's one thing to disagree with a professional's OPINION, but quite another to seek legal action. Good lord.

Instead of a lawyer, I'd spend the money on a visit to a qualified dietician. If there really is an issue with the child's health, it's better to address it sooner rather than later.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Aww she's adorable. She is not obese at all.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

yeah that!!

really? so you can tell just by looking at any single person what their BMI is and whether they are classified as overweight, obese or morbidly obese?

at the child's weight, just a few pounds is the difference between healthy and unhealthy. I do not see what the big deal is sending a letter home to the parents suggesting that they discuss it with their pediatrician or they can have a home visit from a nurse (since ya know a lot of people don't have health insurance and don't see a doctor on any sort of regular basis).

Yes, you can tell by looking at someone if they are obese. Where is the fat on the OP's granddaughter? You can see a teeny bit even portioned around her body. The child may weigh more than they average four-year-old, but at 44 pounds, she is perfectly healthy.

MOST children will vary from average height and/or weight at different times. Children are constantly growing.

It is not the school's business to be doing "home visits" for nutrition. This scenario is a perfect example of what happens when bureaucrats latch on to an issue and leverage it to make it appear as though their existence is warranted.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    They sent home a note saying she was" obese" and they wanted a home visit (not my home, her moms home) to disscuss nutrition to control her weight.

Your granddaughter is beautiful. From the picture, she looks very healthy. The school has no business doing any home visit. If it were me, I'd be finding a lawyer.
    A lawyer?? That's crazy talk. It's one thing to disagree with a professional's OPINION, but quite another to seek legal action. Good lord.

Instead of a lawyer, I'd spend the money on a visit to a qualified dietician. If there really is an issue with the child's health, it's better to address it sooner rather than later.

It's not a matter of "legal action," but a matter of protecting your family from *THEIR* actions. Seeking a lawyer would provide me with an opportunity to fully understand and exercise my rights as a parent. Lest we forget, lawyers also exist to provide counsel, not just to "act" in court. (And many of them will provide a consultation for free, especially in a situation such as this.)
  • Get_Me_Fit1
    Options
    She is a perfect weight. Her BMI is 20 and that isnt even close to being on the overweight side. Her school is a bunch of morons hahaha
  • rubixcyoob
    Options
    Seriously? You weren't happy/didn't like some of the posts from the other thread so thought brandishing a picture of your grandaughter over the internet for anyone to see was the solution?

Two points:

1 - in your last post you said she was 3feet tall, not 3'3", which makes a massive difference.
    2 - I'm pretty sure the note from the school never once just said "we want to come and see you. Your child is obese." and was more along the lines of being suggestive that a visit should happen because they had concerns.

Just get over it. Take the help if you feel you need it, don't take it if you feel you don't.

This is beyond a joke now.
  • electricmistress
    Options
    She may be stocky. I'm stocky and people think im fat. It looks like she has muscles on her arms. She is not obese!
  • leeann0517
    Options

It's not a matter of "legal action," but a matter of protecting your family from *THEIR* actions. Seeking a lawyer would provide me with an opportunity to fully understand and exercise my rights as a parent. Lest we forget, lawyers also exist to provide counsel, not just to "act" in court. (And many of them will provide a consultation for free, especially in a situation such as this.)

what action? they sent a note home.....
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

It's not a matter of "legal action," but a matter of protecting your family from *THEIR* actions. Seeking a lawyer would provide me with an opportunity to fully understand and exercise my rights as a parent. Lest we forget, lawyers also exist to provide counsel, not just to "act" in court.
    You've never worked in education have you? The hands of most school officials are so tied that they can barely offer kleenex to a student with a cold for fear of litigation. Again, foremost is the issue of the child's health and well being. Which is why, if there's any sort of a question about her health, I would seek a second opinion. Just as my mother took me to the eye doctor in the fourth grade when a routine exam at school indicated that I might need glasses.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    ^Yes, the home visit is optional. The school is providing a service that could be very valuable to some families, especially those with low income, and the school isn't going to get after you if you don't accept it.

I like the comparison to getting glasses. The school screens the children and sends a note home with kids who they think might need help. There's always potential for the numbers to get messed up. And maybe it's upsetting that the kids vision wasn't declared normal, but that's not going to change the results of the test, and it's always good to see a professional to get it cleared up once and for all.
  • mishomart
    mishomart Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My Daughter is 4, she's 40 inches tall and almost 40 lbs.....I think that unless the child is VISIBLY overweight or it's clear there are health concerns- trouble catching breath, etc there is no need to be labelling little ones like this.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

they are simply "off their rocker"........
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

what action? they sent a note home.....

...A note about a home visit.

In some cases, these have been used as an excuse for further actions. It sounds like you have missed the various articles in the news over the last few years. Once you let them in your home, you have already given up some of your rights as a parent and are treading on thin ice. A family lawyer would be able to arm parents with information to save them potential headaches down the road.