P90X vs. Weight Training

Options
Hi all. Just wanted to see what others thought on this topic. I'm pretty new to the whole strength training thing, so advice would be great. I started a P90X-type program today, but then I was reading somewhere on here (I can't find the post now, darn it) that weight training is better. That P90X will only take you so far and you'll lose it if you only do that in the future. Is this true?

I'm really scared to hit the weight section at my gym because it's always being taken up with these pervy old men who hang out there 24-7. Not that I think I'm all that, because I'm not, but they seem to hit on anyone under 45! LOL!

Anyway, any advice would be great!

Replies

• wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    bump
  • matthew8387
    Options
    i dont really understand how people would think that UNLESS you do one round of it for 90 days, get ripped, into great shape then thats it, you go into your regular eating habits. with p90x you are doing resistance routines 3 times a week working your chest, back, triceps, shoulders, biceps, deltoids, lats, and legs. Then you have plyometrics, yoga, and another cardio session. You can finish p90x as many times as you want and not "lose" you just have to be smart and keep upping your weight on your curls. presses, and do more push ups. Or even put ankle weights on or a vest.

I have personally done p90x 3 times and am on p90x2 for the 2nd time and i didnt "lose"..if anything i gained each time because i knew how to do the workout and how to get better at each particular disc. Weight training isn't better because p90x IS weight training. If someone on here is telling you to lift weights every day of the week, and youre just looking to lose weight and tone up, im sorry but do not listen to them. They do not know what they are talking about. P90x is a great stepping stone for future fitness or great to use as your primary routine because you can always "up the anty."
  • ErinGBragh
    ErinGBragh Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! I am so glad to hear that because it was disheartening to think that what they said was true. Awesome job on your own P90X successes!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    p90x is a fad workout and is not as good as barbell lifting for building real strength and muscle. The end.

Show me someone who has gotten strong enough to bench bodyweight for reps or squat 1.5x bw for reps or deadlift 2xbw for reps just doing p90x.
  • ErinGBragh
    Options
    p90x is a fad workout and is not as good as barbell lifting for building real strength and muscle. The end.

Show me someone who has gotten strong enough to bench bodyweight for reps or squat 1.5x bw for reps or deadlift 2xbw for reps just doing p90x.

But what if you are a woman just looking to add some muscle tone and strength?
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options

<
    This guy has. Your argument is now null. I can easily bench 1.5x my body weight. Deadlift 2.25x my body weight.. Only workouts I've done have been P90X, Insanity and P90X2. I'm 170 pounds now after 2 years of Beachbody programs.
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Erin,

P90X will work to meet your goals.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    p90x is a fad workout

no. it is not.

just because it isnt your choice for a workout does not make it a fad

fullofwrong
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am a big believer in doing what works for you. If you are wanting to tone all over, then p90x is good for that. I however, am a big believer in weights for women. Yes, I weigh a god awful amount, but once I started weights the shape of my body started changing. So while I am still plus sized and working on it, the weight training makes me look smaller and make my clothes fit better. I am using the stronglifts program because it is easy to follow once you learn the proper form for a squat.

But the biggest thing to take from this post, is to pick what you will stay with for a time. If you are creeped out by the guys in your gym, then a home program might be better for what you are trying to do with your body.
  • ErinGBragh
    Options
    On another note, I did my first DVD today (chest and back) and it's not been 12 hours and I'm already sore as hell! But that's a good thing!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

<
    This guy has. Your argument is now null. I can easily bench 1.5x my body weight. Deadlift 2.25x my body weight.. Only workouts I've done have been P90X, Insanity and P90X2. I'm 170 pounds now after 2 years of Beachbody programs.

And you're doing it for 5+ reps and p90x is all you did from totally untrained right?

Yes, P90x is a fad workout just like any other like sweating to the oldies, tae bo, insanity, 30ds, etc and so forth. Another repackage of move more eat less.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options

P90x is not the same thing as heavy weightlifting but it is definitely not a fad. I am very proud to say that I am very strong for someone who never lifted in her life.

I can squat 1.5 times my weight, I can do 12 full pull ups, 15 - 16 chin ups, lots of push ups, deadlift just over my bodyweight, leg press over 200. And my cardio fitness is pretty impressive.

P90x got me an improved body (went from 155 to 120 in 2 rounds). I am now doing a weightlifting routine to add spice but whenever I want to sub something, I pick a p90x dvd.

And for the record, you don't eat like a bird with P90X. Again, please don't talk about the program if you know nothing about it or decided that you don't like it.

Don't knock it out if you haven't try it.

Results of both rounds are at the end of the about me section on my profile.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you're not married to one and can never do another. do p90x and then try omethign else when you're done with it.

hopefully fitness will be a constant part of your life for the rest of your life. that gives you time to try many things
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    For the OP: Just do it. Stop questioning programs and just start one. Like Mesha said, it's not like you pick one path and you're stuck there for life. P90x is a fine program that will more than suit your needs if you commit to it. Start. Now.

For everyone saying it's not a fad: It's the very definition of fad. It's the pet rock of exercise programs. Doesn't mean it's not effective, but it's damn sure a fad. Anybody remember Tae Bo?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If someone bothers you during a workout, complain to management, otherwise join a different gym. I have never seen anyone looked 'like a pervy old man' at any of my gyms.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

women can lift barbells and "tone" too. just like staci. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

on the right she is about 131, and on the left she is 142. she looks better, and is 11 pounds heavier.

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-92311-AM-1.jpg

but if p90x is your thing, enjoy.

i don't like home work outs and classes, so it's not for me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You will get a better strength progression from a more formal strength routine that include progressive loading and compound lifts.

However, if you like 90px, give it a go. If you do not see the results you want, then try out a more formal/traditional strength training routine.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

For everyone saying it's not a fad: It's the very definition of fad. It's the pet rock of exercise programs. Doesn't mean it's not effective, but it's damn sure a fad. Anybody remember Tae Bo?

fad (fd)
    n.
    A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

a fad is a temporary craze or fashion

P90X came out in 2004

8 years and more popular than ever and growing more popular

if 8 years and growing is a fad, then ok

but it will kick most people in the *kitten*
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

fad (fd)
    n.
    A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

a fad is a temporary craze or fashion

P90X came out in 2004

8 years and more popular than ever and growing more popular

if 8 years and growing is a fad, then ok

but it will kick most people in the *kitten*

How long was Tae Bo popular? How about the Thighmaster, that had a pretty good run, didn't it? 8 whole years, eh? You just confirmed it. FAD. You have also confirmed that relentless marketing campaigns are effective. You have also confirmed that people are sheep. Good job by you! Gold Star for Davey!
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with body weight resistance training like in p90x. If p90x is supposedly a fad because it's newer than going to the gym, well, gyms only came into existence in the 1840s, so I guess that's just a fad compared to things like calisthenics, which are much older. For that matter, I practice kung fu, which is over 2000 years old, so I guess EVERYTHING you people do is just a fad when compared to that, right?

For the record: YOUR way of doing things is not the ONLY way of doing things. And every other way of doing things is not wrong.
This discussion has been closed.