Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    whatever
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with body weight resistance training like in p90x. If p90x is supposedly a fad because it's newer than going to the gym, well, gyms only came into existence in the 1840s, so I guess that's just a fad compared to things like calisthenics, which are much older. For that matter, I practice kung fu, which is over 2000 years old, so I guess EVERYTHING you people do is just a fad when compared to that, right?

For the record: YOUR way of doing things is not the ONLY way of doing things. And every other way of doing things is not wrong.

But p90x is definitely not the way to reach maximum potential on strength or muscle growth
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    whatever

Nice edit, but since I read your post before you edted, I can say that calling DavPul a fool means you lose.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with body weight resistance training like in p90x. If p90x is supposedly a fad because it's newer than going to the gym, well, gyms only came into existence in the 1840s, so I guess that's just a fad compared to things like calisthenics, which are much older. For that matter, I practice kung fu, which is over 2000 years old, so I guess EVERYTHING you people do is just a fad when compared to that, right?

For the record: YOUR way of doing things is not the ONLY way of doing things. And every other way of doing things is not wrong.

But p90x is definitely not the way to reach maximum potential on strength or muscle growth

that isnt everyone's goal
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    whatever

Nice edit, but since I read your post before you edted, I can say that calling DavPul a fool means you lose.

comparing P90X to thighmaster is foolish
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

that isnt everyone's goal

True. Some people have their goals decided by massive marketing campaigns
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I don't understand what people have against a program like P90X. I mean, it is pretty challenging and not an overnight solution. If anything it opens the door for a healthier lifestyle. You can make it as hard or easy as you like. I know lots of women who have been lifting weights for YEARS yet don't have the strength I have. People at the gym are in awe when I do pull ups and can't believe it when I tell them P90X taught me how to do them.

WHATEVER is the right answer to those that think it is a FAD. I know it is not for me and I am proud to say I am stronger than many women who have done traditional weightlifting only.

It is all about how much you put in it.
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    p90x is a fad workout and is not as good as barbell lifting for building real strength and muscle. The end.

Show me someone who has gotten strong enough to bench bodyweight for reps or squat 1.5x bw for reps or deadlift 2xbw for reps just doing p90x.

<
    This guy has. Your argument is now null. I can easily bench 1.5x my body weight. Deadlift 2.25x my body weight.. Only workouts I've done have been P90X, Insanity and P90X2. I'm 170 pounds now after 2 years of Beachbody programs.

And you look very nice, ripped, and strong. Lemme go to beachbody.com :smile:
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Well, you can't argue with that "logic." You can laugh at it, but you can't argue with it...

Remember the days before Beachbody and P90X, when nobody ever wanted to work out? Then that massive marketing campaign changed their minds?

I really hate to play to stereotypes, but the "workout DVDs suck and you should just pump iron" crowd is starting to sound more and more like a bunch of steroid-addled meatheads...
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    This was for BJCraig comment!
    LMAO!!!
  • Br4ndi
    Br4ndi Posts: 177
    Options
    Fad or not, I'm on my 9th week and I have lost 8 pounds, I don't have a lot to lose but I was looking to drop a few pounds and tone. It has been great for me as I get up and do it at 5am before waking my kids up for school and it just fits my busy lifestyle. Just try it, you either like it or you don't .
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Well, you can't argue with that "logic." You can laugh at it, but you can't argue with it...

Remember the days before Beachbody and P90X, when nobody ever wanted to work out? Then that massive marketing campaign changed their minds?

I really hate to play to stereotypes, but the "workout DVDs suck and you should just pump iron" crowd is starting to sound more and more like a bunch of steroid-addled meatheads...

ReeerrRRR.....(car screeching noise).....WHAT?
    Are you implying that everyone's interest in fitness is somehow tied to beachbody? You MUST be trippin'. Beachbody has exactly zero impact on my goals or interests, except my interest in avoiding people selling beachbody stuff.
  • Trivitas
    Options
    Hi all. Just wanted to see what others thought on this topic. I'm pretty new to the whole strength training thing, so advice would be great. I started a P90X-type program today, but then I was reading somewhere on here (I can't find the post now, darn it) that weight training is better. That P90X will only take you so far and you'll lose it if you only do that in the future. Is this true?

I'm really scared to hit the weight section at my gym because it's always being taken up with these pervy old men who hang out there 24-7. Not that I think I'm all that, because I'm not, but they seem to hit on anyone under 45! LOL!

Anyway, any advice would be great!

Try to mix weight training and P90x's kempo and yoga for cardio. Worked for me.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    except my interest in avoiding people selling beachbody stuff.

I agree. The BB coaches are over the top with their love of shakeology and vitamin stuff.

But....P90X does work if you work it.

It isnt meant to get you huge as does the body builders but it includes all you need to be very fit from weights to cardio to stretching and plyo.

I think it will help you be prepared for sports and life in general more so than being able to bench or squat 400 pounds
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    ReeerrRRR.....(car screeching noise).....WHAT?
    Are you implying that everyone's interest in fitness is somehow tied to beachbody? You MUST be trippin'. Beachbody has exactly zero impact on my goals or interests, except my interest in avoiding people selling beachbody stuff.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic about the stupidity of the earlier comment about people's goals being tied to a marketing campaign. Guess I toned things down a bit too much (I tend to dial down the sarcasm when on the 'Net because I can be very obnoxious if I leave it unchecked.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I remember Tae Bo, and even though it didn't last long, I am going to guess it made a huge impact on the wider & much longer lasting appreciation of kickboxing (which people still do). Same way I think Jillian Michaels (& P90x, & probably crossfit) have functioned as a kind of gateway into weightlifting for a lot of people.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    except my interest in avoiding people selling beachbody stuff.

I agree. The BB coaches are over the top with their love of shakeology and vitamin stuff.

But....P90X does work if you work it.

It isnt meant to get you huge as does the body builders but it includes all you need to be very fit from weights to cardio to stretching and plyo.

I think it will help you be prepared for sports and life in general more so than being able to bench or squat 400 pounds

Which is why pro athletes do P90x and not traditional weight training right? Oh wait...
  • DavPul
    Options

Slippery Slope, per Wiki:

In debate or rhetoric, a slippery slope (also known as thin end of the wedge - or sometimes "edge" in US English - or the camel's nose) is a classic form of argument, arguably an informal fallacy. A slippery slope argument states that a relatively small first step leads to a chain of related events culminating in some significant effect, much like an object given a small push over the edge of a slope sliding all the way to the bottom.[1] The strength of such an argument depends on the warrant, i.e. whether or not one can demonstrate a process which leads to the significant effect. The fallacious sense of "slippery slope" is often used synonymously with continuum fallacy, in that it ignores the possibility of middle ground and assumes a discrete transition from category A to category B. Modern usage avoids the fallacy by acknowledging the possibility of this middle ground.
  • DavPul
    Options
    whatever

comparing P90X to thighmaster is foolish

Saying that something that has been around for 8 years is proof that it isn't a fad is foolish
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I automatically hate p90x because all the 'beacybody coaches' on this board are so spammy/aggravating LOL. But seriously:
    The best exercise program is the one you can stick to.

P90x will take you to a different place than say, progressive loading barbell training. True, the latter will make you stronger, faster, but p90x also gives you more variety of movements, and incorporates more cardio.

For me, I want the shortest route possible to my goals, so I do barbell training. Some may want a more enjoyable path, or one that's better for their own work ethic/style. Honestly, doing the exact same thing every week does get pretty tedious! (Even if it's the same thing, but heavier.)

If you already are a member of a gym, try Stronglifts. It's free, and will cost you nothing to play with.
This discussion has been closed.