P90X vs. Weight Training

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I don't understand what people have against a program like P90X. I mean, it is pretty challenging and not an overnight solution. If anything it opens the door for a healthier lifestyle. You can make it as hard or easy as you like. I know lots of women who have been lifting weights for YEARS yet don't have the strength I have. People at the gym are in awe when I do pull ups and can't believe it when I tell them P90X taught me how to do them.

WHATEVER is the right answer to those that think it is a FAD. I know it is not for me and I am proud to say I am stronger than many women who have done traditional weightlifting only.

It is all about how much you put in it.

Who has something against it? I recommended that the OP start doing it right away and agreed with the cultists that it would suit her purposes just fine.

But just because it will work doesn't mean it's not a fad. A fad is a fad, whether it's effective or not, sorry. If I said it was a sham, then get riled up. But calling something that's reached critical mass a fad makes you cult worshippers angry? WHATEVER
  • DavPul
    Options

<
    This guy has. Your argument is now null. I can easily bench 1.5x my body weight. Deadlift 2.25x my body weight.. Only workouts I've done have been P90X, Insanity and P90X2. I'm 170 pounds now after 2 years of Beachbody programs.

And you look very nice, ripped, and strong. Lemme go to beachbody.com :smile:

Be sure to order some Shakeology. I hear that stuff is better than food
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    To be honest weight lifting intimdated me. Doing p90x was a great way to get comfortable with a new form of working out. It let me see proper form, figure out how much I can lift and get a sense of how weight lifting can change my body. And there were no pervy old guys or meat heads staring at me.

Now I would have no issue or intimdation about using weights in a gym or doing other programs at home that have weights in them.
  • DavPul
    Options
    True. Some people have their goals decided by massive marketing campaigns

Well, you can't argue with that "logic." You can laugh at it, but you can't argue with it...

Remember the days before Beachbody and P90X, when nobody ever wanted to work out? Then that massive marketing campaign changed their minds?

I really hate to play to stereotypes, but the "workout DVDs suck and you should just pump iron" crowd is starting to sound more and more like a bunch of steroid-addled meatheads...

SWEET!! I love when every argument on this site devolves into people classifying big ripped dudes as dumb, steriod fueled meatheads! YOU WIN THE INTERNETZ!!! NAME CALLING FOR THE WIN!!! STEREOTYPING MEANS VICTORY!!!

Obviously we ARE stupid, because we had to rely on step by step cookie cutter video instruction to get in shape and couldn't figure it out on our own. Wait! WHAT?!?!?
  • DavPul
    Options
    ReeerrRRR.....(car screeching noise).....WHAT?
    Are you implying that everyone's interest in fitness is somehow tied to beachbody? You MUST be trippin'. Beachbody has exactly zero impact on my goals or interests, except my interest in avoiding people selling beachbody stuff.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic about the stupidity of the earlier comment about people's goals being tied to a marketing campaign. Guess I toned things down a bit too much (I tend to dial down the sarcasm when on the 'Net because I can be very obnoxious if I leave it unchecked.

Did beachbody coach you in how to apologize on the internet too?
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Slippery Slope, per Wiki:

In debate or rhetoric, a slippery slope (also known as thin end of the wedge - or sometimes "edge" in US English - or the camel's nose) is a classic form of argument, arguably an informal fallacy. A slippery slope argument states that a relatively small first step leads to a chain of related events culminating in some significant effect, much like an object given a small push over the edge of a slope sliding all the way to the bottom.[1] The strength of such an argument depends on the warrant, i.e. whether or not one can demonstrate a process which leads to the significant effect. The fallacious sense of "slippery slope" is often used synonymously with continuum fallacy, in that it ignores the possibility of middle ground and assumes a discrete transition from category A to category B. Modern usage avoids the fallacy by acknowledging the possibility of this middle ground

Oh, so it would be like comparing an exercise program that works and has been popular and growing in popularity for 8 years, with the pet rock, a useless item that was popular for less than a year, right? Thanks for proving my point, meathead.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity before and doing P90X now and it's a great program...
    Is there better? maybe.....but that's not the point here.
    Does it work ....for sure. It's a well build muscle confusion program. You do it at home and you get results.
    Yes, running,gym etc....will get you there too but it all depends on what you want....

The main thing here is.... TRAIN...WORKOUT.... EAT WELL! no matter which program ....Training is training.
    I've used Martial arts,INSANITY and running to melt my fat with cardio...
    Now i'm toning up with P90X.... Will I become a bodybuilder...naaaahh! ...will I get cut with some muscles?....If I follow everything.
    Probably....

Anyway, no need to fight here..... Let's just enjoy the fact that we're all trying to be healthy and we work for it.

Take care everyone
  • BJPCraig
    Options
    A fad is a fad, whether it's effective or not, sorry. If I said it was a sham, then get riled up. But calling something that's reached critical mass a fad makes you cult worshippers angry? WHATEVER

Because you love to quote, per wiki:
    "A fad is any form of behavior that develops among a large population and is collectively followed with enthusiasm for some period, generally as a result of the behavior's being perceived as novel in some way. A fad is said to "catch on" when the number of people adopting it begins to increase rapidly. The behavior will normally fade quickly once the perception of novelty is gone."

So, something that's been around for 8 years has faded quickly in your opinion? You might want to look up "quickly."
  • BJPCraig
    Options
    SWEET!! I love when every argument on this site devolves into people classifying big ripped dudes as dumb, steriod fueled meatheads! YOU WIN THE INTERNETZ!!! NAME CALLING FOR THE WIN!!! STEREOTYPING MEANS VICTORY!!!

Obviously we ARE stupid, because we had to rely on step by step cookie cutter video instruction to get in shape and couldn't figure it out on our own. Wait! WHAT?!?!?

Reread it. I never said weight-lifters are stupid. I said weight-lifters who refuse to accept that there may actually be another way to exercise than lifting weights are stupid. Look out the window of your gym. There's actually a whole, big, wide world out there.
  • BJPCraig
    Options
    Did beachbody coach you in how to apologize on the internet too?

Guess what? I'm not in any way affiliated with Beachbody. I don't even use Beachbody programs. But I've seen them work for other people, and I just get really angry with the "my way is the only way" type of ignorance you seem so proud of.

BTW, I'm done engaging with you on this. You are so obviously incapable of accepting any opinion other than your own as being valid that it's like trying to convince a creationist that evolution is real.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I remember Tae Bo, and even though it didn't last long, I am going to guess it made a huge impact on the wider & much longer lasting appreciation of kickboxing (which people still do). Same way I think Jillian Michaels (& P90x, & probably crossfit) have functioned as a kind of gateway into weightlifting for a lot of people.

I remember tae-bo too! I did tae bo until my VHS no longer rewound the tape. Long after it fell from fad-dom. I actually recently thought about buying the dvds (yup, they are available on dvd), since I enjoy tae bo but ended up with the P90X dvds instead.

There is nothing wrong with using a fad as a workout program, as long as it is something you like and not dangerous. I have done tae-bo and P90X. I've also done pilates, yoga, dance, running, weight training etc. It's about finding what you like, meets your goals and you are able to stick with.

To the OP: If you can, try both. See what you prefer.

I am currently doing P90X with my running. I like it. I can do it at home, meaning I don't have to pay for a gym membership anymore. I can tell I am getting stronger (I have moved up dumbbell weights/amount of pushups etc) and the kenpo/plyometrics are helping with my running endurance. Right now P90X just fits with my life.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I automatically hate p90x because all the 'beacybody coaches' on this board are so spammy/aggravating LOL. But seriously:
    The best exercise program is the one you can stick to.

P90x will take you to a different place than say, progressive loading barbell training. True, the latter will make you stronger, faster, but p90x also gives you more variety of movements, and incorporates more cardio.

For me, I want the shortest route possible to my goals, so I do barbell training. Some may want a more enjoyable path, or one that's better for their own work ethic/style. Honestly, doing the exact same thing every week does get pretty tedious! (Even if it's the same thing, but heavier.)

If you already are a member of a gym, try Stronglifts. It's free, and will cost you nothing to play with.

^^this.

I enjoy barbell training and it meets my goals so I do it. However, the bolded part is very important imo.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My brother-in-law gives me crap about P90X too--I'm still not sure why. I've lost 40 lbs in 5 months of P90X. I'm 45 and I know I went 15 yrs with very little physical activity. I have no interest is looking like a body builder, I'd just like to live a healthier life. If I had to go to the gym to get my workout in, it would never happen.

So workouts are worthless if they don't include heavy weights?
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend something like P90x over weight training alone. Half of the p90x workouts are cardiovascular (if you count yoga), and even the strength routines move at such a brisk pace that you'll be more winded than you would be doing normal strength training.

But to each his/her own. If you enjoy weight training more, do that.
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Such hostility isn't necessary. I think people formulating their own workout programs is awesome. I also believe losing a bunch of weight while doing both cardio and strength training is also beneficial. I'm digging P90X a lot. It has been a huge motivating influence in my life recently. Yes I'm a beachbody coach now, and I'm not embarrassed to say it. You can ask anyone of my clients if I push supplements down their throats. I know what they will say. Yes. I use some of the products, and I find them beneficial to my well being. I'm no expert here, just a joe blog who needed a little organization in his life. If P90X has helped my achieve that, then great. All I care is being around longer for my kids. P90x has definitely improved my health and well being, while giving me the opportunity to pay it forward to others.

If you are one of those knowledgeable people who can do it all, that's fantastic as well.
    Let's all get along on here. We're all on here to become healthier people no matter what exercise regime you follow.
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    p90x is a fad workout and is not as good as barbell lifting for building real strength and muscle. The end.

Show me someone who has gotten strong enough to bench bodyweight for reps or squat 1.5x bw for reps or deadlift 2xbw for reps just doing p90x.

<
    This guy has. Your argument is now null. I can easily bench 1.5x my body weight. Deadlift 2.25x my body weight.. Only workouts I've done have been P90X, Insanity and P90X2. I'm 170 pounds now after 2 years of Beachbody programs.

And you're doing it for 5+ reps and p90x is all you did from totally untrained right?

Yes, P90x is a fad workout just like any other like sweating to the oldies, tae bo, insanity, 30ds, etc and so forth. Another repackage of move more eat less.

Yes, all I've done from the time I was 220+ thru now has been P90X, Insanity and P90X2. So yes, totally untrained.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    P90X IS weight training, primarily. But there are more efficient methods. While people who are fans of the program may not want to admit it, the way P90X is structured more or less is designed to make up for natural inefficiencies of working with such limited tools. The bulk of P90X's weight training days are what's referred to as isolation training, which means the exercises focus on a single muscle or muscle group and that's it. This is not as efficient unless your goal is specifically to add muscle mass to specific body parts because it does not lead to the same kind of strength gains doing compound movements, nor does it lead to the same metabolic changes or increases in bone density. Basically, without the selection of weights you would find at a gym, you're limited in what you can do because you more than likely don't have enough weight in dumbbells to be able to hit failure at lower rep ranges doing compound movements. Isolation training is sort of a ghetto way around this that just doesn't produce the same kind of results.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    P90X IS weight training, primarily. But there are more efficient methods. While people who are fans of the program may not want to admit it, the way P90X is structured more or less is designed to make up for natural inefficiencies of working with such limited tools. The bulk of P90X's weight training days are what's referred to as isolation training, which means the exercises focus on a single muscle or muscle group and that's it. This is not as efficient unless your goal is specifically to add muscle mass to specific body parts because it does not lead to the same kind of strength gains doing compound movements, nor does it lead to the same metabolic changes or increases in bone density. Basically, without the selection of weights you would find at a gym, you're limited in what you can do because you more than likely don't have enough weight in dumbbells to be able to hit failure at lower rep ranges doing compound movements. Isolation training is sort of a ghetto way around this that just doesn't produce the same kind of results.

No idea about P90x, but what have soldiers and labourers done, historically (before weights)? Probably a mix of bodyweight endurance conditioning and less precise lifting (if any?). I'm not suggesting whatever they did was better than weightlifting (we've learned things), but it must have been good enough for hand to hand combat, or farming, or building (though of course I imagine serious weight was lifted in the latter two).
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Lol poor OP. Your thread has devolved into a "classic" argument.

So, let me clear some things up for you.

To lose weight, all you need is a calorie deficit. This can be done with diet alone or with any mix of diet and cardio which could include P90x or anything else that gets you moving.

"Toning" strictly speaking does not exist. There is gaining muscle size and there is losing the fat covering it up.

If you want to look your best when you are done, then you need resistance training. Is P90x enough resistance training for this end? Maybe. Would barbell lifting be better? Probably. If you want to preserve muscle while you lose weight (as everyone should), wouldn't it be best to train in the best way to GAIN muscle? Probably so. And what is the best way to GAIN muscle? Real weight training. I promise. /thread yet?
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I personally love Insanity and will probably do p90 next. You really need to try a few different workouts before you find something you like, and works. And it's probably good idea to switch things up. I'm not trying to be a fitness competitor so I don't care much about lifting heavy weights, but more about losing the weight and getting fit. Everyone is different, find what you like and what works, and kick some butt!
This discussion has been closed.