Ketosis Diets???? LOW carb HIGH protein??? Weight Loss?

Options

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Most weight lost on a ketosis diet is water weight. Sure, you burn SOME fat, but all in all it's water, and here's why. When you cut carbs low enough to go into a state of ketosis, you're liver produces ketones to be used for energy since your body lacks the carbs it needs to produce energy. This in turn causes your liver to over load itself, and if kept on this diet long enough, could cause liver damage. Since your liver is what filters your urine, more water is used to try to keep your liver cleaned out of the ketones, which are very acidic. (ketoacidosis) Instead of trying all these fad diets, why not just have a lifestyle? everything in moderation, eat clean as much as possible, and the more fruits and veggies the better, without of course being a full on vegetarian.

Umm....your kidneys filter your urine. Your liver filters your blood.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! :)

I would like some information about 'Ketosis Diets' (Low Carb - High Protein). I could just Google it, but I'm more interested in personal opinions. :)
    Does eating this way help with weight loss more substantially? How do you feel on this kind of diet? What is your energy level? I'm worried my energy levels will be affected.

What I read about ketosis diets is this
    When you eat high amounts of protein and reduce your carbohydrate intake, your body goes into a state of ketosis. This means fat is being used for energy instead of carbohydrates.

I'd also be interested in meal ideas.

Thanks so much! :)

Personally, I lose weight too quickly, don't sleep enough and become cranky if I'm under 70 grams or so of carbs. Without the carbs and sugar I don't do well. I don't care for supplements so without bread and grains I'll lack thiamin. For a quick loss of water weight in a few days I'll deal with it, otherwise I try to eat a more balanced diet, and as a female I like it high in dietary fat.

http://nutritionwonderland.com/2009/06/understanding-bodies-serotonin-connection-between-food-and-mood/
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    [Redacted]
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options
    Read these 2 books and you will learn everything about it.

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living - Jeff S. Volek
    The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance - Jeff S. Volek

This.

If you want to understand the science behind ketogenic diets from the preeminent researchers in the area, these are the two books you must own. They are authored by Dr. Jeffrey Volek from the University of Connecticut and Dr. Stephen Phinney from the University of California-Davis Medical School.

By the way, it's not a high protein diet. It's a low carbohydrate, moderate protein, high fat diet.

Lol, read the Volek and Phinney studies and pay particular attention to study design

Which studies? Give me a page and footnote reference.

It's ironic that you'd be able to find fault in "Volek and Phinney studies" -- whatever that means. In a previous thread, you cited a 1999 study for the proposition made in your post above where the "low carb group" wasn't even keto-adapted for 1/2 the study's length. If I recall, they may have even been performing some glycolytic exercise routine too. Even then, the low-carb group outperformed.

Do you know of any studies where the "low carb" group had blood ketone levels in or around 3.0 millimolar?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

This.

If you want to understand the science behind ketogenic diets from the preeminent researchers in the area, these are the two books you must own. They are authored by Dr. Jeffrey Volek from the University of Connecticut and Dr. Stephen Phinney from the University of California-Davis Medical School.

By the way, it's not a high protein diet. It's a low carbohydrate, moderate protein, high fat diet.

Lol, read the Volek and Phinney studies and pay particular attention to study design

It's ironic that you'd be able to find fault in "Volek and Phinney studies" -- whatever that means. The last thread in which you cited a study for the proposition made in your post above, it was a 1999 study where the "low carb" group wasn't even keto-adapted. If I recall, they may have even been performing some glycolytic exercise routine too. Even then, the low-carb group outperformed.

Do you know of any studies where the "low carb" group had blood ketone levels in or around 3.0 millimoles?

Read all their studies and you'll notice a pattern.

Fat adaptation for athletic performance is a low carb fantasy just like the mythical metabolic advantage
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    ohhhhh, but there are mythical metabolic advantages. Check out Martin. Kiss!
    http://youtu.be/T5liKz1X-Tw
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options

This.

It's ironic that you'd be able to find fault in "Volek and Phinney studies" -- whatever that means. The last thread in which you cited a study for the proposition made in your post above, it was a 1999 study where the "low carb" group wasn't even keto-adapted. If I recall, they may have even been performing some glycolytic exercise routine too. Even then, the low-carb group outperformed.

Do you know of any studies where the "low carb" group had blood ketone levels in or around 3.0 millimoles?

Fat adaptation for athletic performance is a low carb fantasy just like the mythical metabolic advantage

Just give me one of their "studies" and then I'll take a look at "the pattern."

As for the metabolic advantage, 80 of my 109 lbs. were lost during an intermittent three month period where I experimented with being in a keto-adapted state. What's more, it happened without ever once being hungry and without breaking a sweat -- a basic powerlifting routine and walking.

As for athletic performance, my blood ketone levels are currently at or around 3.0 millimolars. I rarely eat more than 30 grams of carbohydrates a day. I can easily run 400 meters at the same speed as an elite high school runner, and I'm 47. I can perform a vigorous powerlifting routine, day after day, and need no recovery time. Toward that end, I can do 15 sets a day at greater than 85% of my 1RM and not even feel like I worked out.

Anyway, I'm anxious to take a look at those "studies" and "the pattern" because I'd certainly like to know if I'm "mythical."
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

This.

Just give me one of their "studies" and then I'll take a look at "the pattern."

As for the metabolic advantage, 80 of my 109 lbs. were lost during an intermittent three month period where I experimented with being in a keto-adapted state. What's more, it happened without ever once being hungry and without breaking a sweat -- a basic powerlifting routine and walking.

As for athletic performance, my blood ketone levels are currently at or around 3.0 millimolars. I rarely eat more than 30 grams of carbohydrates a day. I can easily run 400 meters at the same speed as an elite high school runner, and I'm 47. I can perform a vigrous powerlifting routine, day after day, and need no recovery time. Toward that end, I can do 15 sets a day at greater than 85% of my 1RM and not even feel like I worked out.

Anyway, I'm anxious to take a look at those "studies" and "the pattern" because I'd certainly like to know if I'm "mythical."

n=1

http://www.colorado.edu/intphys/Class/IPHY3700_Greene/pdfs/discussionEssay/weightLossStudies/Volek_diet.pdf

www.jci.org/articles/view/109945/files/pdf
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options
    Are we going to get beyond monosyllabic grunts? Let's begin with these studies' design flaws.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    i have been trying to lose weight for 2 years, and i finally had to admit that it was my carb intake that was sabotaging me. I read "Carb Nite" and realized that it doesn't have to be THAT painful cutting carbs. I also really like the fact that it's not forever when you carb cycle. Although I eat up to 100g of carbs a day instead of 30g, i am still noticing a difference. I don't see a change in my energy levels ( I work at a super boring job so my eyeballs roll in the back of my head regardless of what I do). If you're going to do this, don't plan on running any marathons. Lifing for about 25 minutes a day and walking is about all the strenuous exercise you should do, lots of cardio isn't suggested. There's lots of low carb recipies online, I also read a lot of diabetic recipies to help out in the low carb high protein. If you do it right, it works if you do it wrong, it sucks.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    Most weight lost on a ketosis diet is water weight. Sure, you burn SOME fat, but all in all it's water, and here's why. When you cut carbs low enough to go into a state of ketosis, you're liver produces ketones to be used for energy since your body lacks the carbs it needs to produce energy. This in turn causes your liver to over load itself, and if kept on this diet long enough, could cause liver damage. Since your liver is what filters your urine, more water is used to try to keep your liver cleaned out of the ketones, which are very acidic. (ketoacidosis) Instead of trying all these fad diets, why not just have a lifestyle? everything in moderation, eat clean as much as possible, and the more fruits and veggies the better, without of course being a full on vegetarian.

Umm....your kidneys filter your urine. Your liver filters your blood.
    yeah, sorry, i got mixed up. I was studying something and got the two intermingled.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • omidiano
    Options
    ITS BS its all about ur calories figure out what works for you...
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    First, it isn't a fad diet as I saw one person suggest, it is a way of life that you probably shouldn't bother with unless you think you can stick to it in the long run b/c if you go back to eating a lot of carbs on a normal basis, the water weight and weight in general typically comes back.

I have WAY more energy on this diet than I ever did eating high carb and I don't get sleepy in the afternoon like I used to. I wouldn't necessarily believe the ones who said you won't have energy to do any exercise but walk.

I never went thru the "keto flu" either. I have maintained low carb and gone back to some high carb days and dropped back again several times. Not everyone feels down and out the first few days when switching to low carb or keto.
  • joshs7
    joshs7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did a ketosis diet for 3 months and i lost a good amount of weight. But i broke out in hives because of it for over a month. You can't go without carbs for too long without hurting yourself. Carbs are your main energy source for your body. Just eat healthy foods and stay in a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I did a ketosis diet for 3 months and i lost a good amount of weight. But i broke out in hives because of it for over a month. You can't go without carbs for too long without hurting yourself. Carbs are your main energy source for your body. Just eat healthy foods and stay in a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight.
    No, wrong. Being without carbs for "too long" will not hurt you. Carbs are the body's preferred energy source because they are the easiest to break down. Fat is just another energy source. People aren't giving the body's ability to adapt nearly enough credit.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Some people are better on high fat diets, some on higher carb diets so you just have to experiment with yourself. I seem to be the type that does really well <150g of carbs. Right now I am doing a cyclic ketogenic diet and most of the keto eating days I'm under 50g of carbs. Take a look at my food diary.
  • MAV9855
    MAV9855 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Atkins for 40 days and lost 10 pounds, my metabolic rate is slow. I feel full of energy, do cardio 3-5 times a week- Is this contraindicated?
    I'm never hungry and eat less calories because I staysatisfied for longer period of time. Had real bad cravings for Carbs first two weeks- now do not miss at all. My carbs comes from veggies and I try to stay around 30 gms a day.
    Good luck in your decision.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    No, wrong. Being without carbs for "too long" will not hurt you. Carbs are the body's preferred energy source because they are the easiest to break down. Fat is just another energy source. People aren't giving the body's ability to adapt nearly enough credit.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/70129-side-effects-not-enough-carbs/
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My experience was this: I lost 80 pounds over the course of a year. As soon as I stopped, I gained it all back plus some. I also had some health problems from not eating right. So without all of the science behind it...in short...I would never do this to my body again. Atkins has changed a lot since I have done this. They have incorporated a lot more veggies into the plan. But...I would still never do this again. Just my personal opinion and experience.