Tattoos + Tipping

Options

Replies

• Amanda21202
    Amanda21202 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I rarely tip the hairdresser- £35 for half an hour of listening to blather about reality TV shows? she should tip me :-D

That made me laugh. I always tip my hairdresser but I dislike doing it, firstly like you said plus its expensive enough as it is lol.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I tip my artist. All my pieces are custom and I appreciate the effort he puts into them. Usually I tip around 20%. It isn't because I feel obligated.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I've had significant custom work done where the final price has been well over $1,000 on two occassions -both artists refused a tip! Instead, I've bought t-shirts from the shop, given gift cards for their children, or given books on subjects that i found the artists have liked through conversations during my tattoos...
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to tip? Shouldn't they just charge you what they want? I'm not trying to sound like a **** or anything I just really am wondering? If they wanted more to do your tat why don't they just charge more?
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I rarely tip the hairdresser- £35 for half an hour of listening to blather about reality TV shows? she should tip me :-D

That made me laugh. I always tip my hairdresser but I dislike doing it, firstly like you said plus its expensive enough as it is lol.

Being a former hairdresser, a lot of people outside of the US have this mentality and I know this from experience. Most hairdresser here only make about 40 percent commission on whatever services they provide.

So if you pay 35 dollars for a haircut the stylist only receives 14 of it.
  • IslandRider
    Options
    OP mentioned tax as part of the bill. You might be able to avoid paying tax if you take cash too instead of using a card. Both times when I had mine done the artist said it would be more because if tax if I paid with the card and he ran it throught he register. I'm guessing if there's no official record of what the artist/shop is charging you they're reporting it as a lot less and pocketing some. Fine by me if it saves me a few bucks.

It's not just a matter of taxed paid when it comes to cash vs. credit card. Credit card companies charges fees to the seller, that can be 2-3% of the purchase amount and they often have a monthly fee, plus it can take a few days for the payment to be received.

BTW - I always tip - 20%
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    if they do good work tip them ,if they don't do good work,,go to another artist,,you made a wrong choice,,,,the same guy does my work,wont let anyone else do it,,I moved 8 hours away 2 years ago and every time I travel near where he is ,I get more work done by him,A great tattoo artist is worth his weight in gold
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Bah- I never tip my tattoo artist.

In fact I usually trash talk him, tell him what a poor artist he is and otherwise make his life hell to include throwing sometinga t his head when I walk in the door.

Then again my tat artist is my brother and I am sure that SOB uses the biggest needle he can find....
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Glad I read this.. I didn't know. And I'll be going for my first one soon.

Can I watch? And 20% :)
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I also tip for touch-ups.... I think it's customary around here.

Each situation is individual, though. When I ask my artist to take a couple of weeks getting my idea down on paper, that's a lot of additional time and work he's putting in outside of the time I'm in the chair.

For example, I was charged $300 for a 14" long custom drawn piece that took over five hours in the chair... I will have and love it the rest of my life... that was worth a $200 tip to me.
  • Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Wow, I had no idea you were supposed to tip! I am glad I read this, I am hoping to get my first tattoo soon. Thanks!
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    For example, I was charged $300 for a 14" long custom drawn piece that took over five hours in the chair... I will have and love it the rest of my life... that was worth a $200 tip to me.

I wanna see it.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Generally, I think it's a bad idea to stiff the guy or gal who is tattooing something permanent onto your body... Just sayin'
  • odusgolp
    Options

I wanna see it.

8873686_926.jpg

voila... hoping to expand on that...
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I won a tattoo and I gave him $20 to get a beer and a snack at Boston Pizza next door. But I know my artist, no way in hell I'm tipping him, he can kiss my butt lol
  • peanutbutterrunner
    Options
    I feel bad now, I've gotten 3 tattoos all around 60-80$ and I've only tipped 5$.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    8873686_926.jpg

Cool.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    8873686_926.jpg

Cool.

• Show_Stopper
    Show_Stopper Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Yes....yes...yes. If you have a larger piece and you'll be going in for different sessions, I would tip 25% for first session. They'll be happy to see you come back and give you an extra bit of attention next time around.

This the artist is more willing to work with you if you tip well and you always should tip owner or not they are still doing a service for you
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    odusgolp... bet it will look incredible when done :)