Tattoos + Tipping

Options
1235»

Replies

• Show_Stopper
    Show_Stopper Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I would tip if you ever expect to show your face at that tattoo parlor again. Tattoo shops aren't like restaurants, they'll straight up tell you to gtfo if they remember you didn't tip them.

Not really. The place I go, I get inked by the owner. So, I feel stupid tipping the prick because he's the freaking owner, he makes profit off the entire operation. You don't tip owners. It's stupid, but, nevertheless, I have an internal quandary as he is the artist, so I should respect his work and say thank you, financially, I guess. But it still pisses me off. So, I don't tip him every time, just like every third time. Lol.

So you, what, verbally tip? I am a BIG fan of always tipping. It's just a respect issue for me. When I was working as a waittress, a "great service, thanks!" didn't pay my bills. Also, as the owner he is still doing work that he probably doesn't have to do.

I don't what you mean by verbally tip. But, being a waitress and owning the restaurant are two completely different things. You don't tip the owner if they wait on you. That's just ridiculous. You might have to own a business to understand the dynamics of it. But, it's odd to get a tip when you own the business. The waitress does not profit from the food the patrons are eating. The owner is literally making money off the food the people are eating, so tipping is not necessary, it's built in. Lol. I realize not everyone understands this. Again, if you ever own a business, you will.

This is not true I owned a business with my ex and you should still tip the owner if there are providing a service
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Not tipping the owner because they are the owner is silly. The cost of the Tatoo goes to payroll, taxes, and overhead. The owner draws a salary (or at least a wage) like any other employee and the tips are part of the assumed part of their compensation. Any money that comes from the tatoo straight to the owner is compensation for their investement in the business and for what they do to keep the lights on while you are getting tattooed

If you are going to an American place, it is assumed that you tip and the wages reflect the fact that tipping happens.

I tip anywhere that tipping is appropriate in cash so the service personnel can report their taxable income however suits their conscious. I put the whatever on my card as it gets me that much closer to taking my daughter to Disney World on points.

Oh, and the last time I did anything that would involve tipping, I had a paper route, so this isn't some waiter or tattoo artist *****ing.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Since this one is going to take about 20 hours spread out over 6-7 sessions, I made it clear to my artist at the beginning that I wanted to give him one big tip at the end when it was all finished. He's been amazing and often charges me for less than he should per session. He'll be getting a big tip - probably about 30% and over $500 - right around Christmas!!
  • mommycullen
    mommycullen Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    for $350- I would give $25-$40. Plus I always give my girl presents.... she likes CD's and stuff. I have spend thousands with her. So it depends on my level of brokeness at any given session- what I tip. She understands.
  • _Fatty2Fitty_
    _Fatty2Fitty_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I just still don't understand why you have to or should give tips....you are already paying to get the piece of art done? Are you tipping because they have done a good job? But surely that's the least you'd expect from them?
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I usually tip my artist one hours worth of the "shop rate"
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I love my tattoo guy! I always tip $50. I tip more if it's a large piece. He's awesome and worth every penny, plus he's awesome to talk with. ;)
  • IronMikeFox
    Options
    When I went to the shop I use for the first time, I asked the shop manager about tipping. He said that the artists understand that times are tight and don't have any expectations regarding tips. He said they don't think badly of anyone based on the tip, but do absolutely appreciate and "reward" people that do. He also said that I should gauge it based on how happy I was with the work. After my first session, I was so impressed with the quality of the work, the overall experience in the shop, and the price of the session that I went WAY above what would be expected. After paying the shop manager, he must have went back and showed the artist, because the artist came out and thanked me personally. When I went back for my second session, he definitely hooked me on the cost of the session.
  • MonicaLee92
    Options
    I usually give them $20 as a tip. That's for piercings and tattoos. I never thought about doing a percentage.