How did you meet? where do you find a date?

Options

Replies

• dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    Met my wife on eHarmony.com 5 years ago. She lived in NYC and I lived in FL. Gave up on trying to find somebody locally that I shared interests with who was not a drug using alcoholic. Nothing against a drink now and then but I certainly don't need to get smashed every day to be happy.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    get started by learning to flirt with just the top portion of your face. use it everywhere everytime you see a girl youre into. Not creepy- subtle. Dont throew yourself at her - thats no fun to catch.

make us wonder if youre thinking we are hot or thinking we are pretty - either one works- but works best when we arent sure which one it is.

Once youve got that down, you can start talking to us - cause you'll have gotten body language in a better grip.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    get started by learning to flirt with just the top portion of your face. use it everywhere everytime you see a girl youre into. Not creepy- subtle. Dont throew yourself at her - thats no fun to catch.

make us wonder if youre thinking we are hot or thinking we are pretty - either one works- but works best when we arent sure which one it is.

Once youve got that down, you can start talking to us - cause you'll have gotten body language in a better grip.

MkoST.gif
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    . . . does steve urkel just want me for my body, or could this love be for real? those smokey eyes . . . those hypnotic facial tics . . . it's like looking at the mona lisa during an earthquake. Must Have . . . .
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I like to watch a woman for a few months and start referring to her as my girlfriend before I approach her.

Ah yes, nothing like taking those romantic walks for 2, but only one person is aware of it! :noway:
  • tfowler306
    Options
    Single for almost two years now.... Think its about time I start dating again... Other than online dating sites how do I get started?

It's good that you are ready to date again. By taking two years off, you've probably put yourself in a better frame of mind and that's going to be appealing to the new women you are about to meet.

The number #1 thing you should do is work your friend of friend network. At 39, you probably know a lot of married couples. That's great! Established, married couples are great sources to help you. I'm sure your married friends, especially the wives in these relationships, can help you. I'd be letting all your friend's wives know you are single and going to be dating again, and ask them for help. They'll be receptive to helping set you up if you're a good guy.

Examine your day to day activities closely. Do things that put you in close proximity of the types of women that you want to date. Exercise classes, grocery stores that encourage social interactions and Meetup groups are good sources. Meetup groups are their own animal. I could make an entire post on the ins and outs of Meetup groups but to quickly summarize the Meetup world, you should avoid bar mix n mingle events, groups specifically labeled singles and focus your energies on Meetup events that involve activities that you are really passionate about.

Online dating works for some, but many people who do the online thing long enough get really fed up with the nonsense associated with it. Skip bars for the most part.

I am a transplant to the area I live in, so I really don't have many friends here. Most of them are single... How do I find meetup groups? I have never heard of this?
  • tfowler306
    Options
    :explode:
    Youre 39 years old and don't know where to find a date? :huh:

Really is this comment appropriate?
    I have been single for three years and it's hard to find someone considering most of us work full time. I work full time, am in graduate school and just about have enough time for me.
    You have a better idea? Are us single people supposed to go out to a bar and meet someone? Last time I checked going out to a bar to meet someone isn't the best idea.
    Church? I'm not religious
    Online Dating? Not as easy as you think
    Grocery Store? Any ideas on how to "meet" someone here

Don't make inappropriate comments unless you have walked in our shoes

Thanks! :)
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I tried the online dating but it didn't work for me, though I've heard it's better if you're a guy. While I was in the midst of online dating, I joined a kickball team with some friends and ended up dating the pitcher. I agree with the workout classes and gym, you really get to know people (especially those with similar interests as you) and it's easy to ask someone to grab a coffee or [healthy] meal afterwards!

online dating better if you're a guy? What idiot told you that?!

Maybe if you enjoy getting 1 reply for every 150 messages sent. It's definitely far far better for girls, if you can get past the whole creepy message thing. Which imo sure beats zero messages.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I tried the online dating but it didn't work for me, though I've heard it's better if you're a guy. While I was in the midst of online dating, I joined a kickball team with some friends and ended up dating the pitcher. I agree with the workout classes and gym, you really get to know people (especially those with similar interests as you) and it's easy to ask someone to grab a coffee or [healthy] meal afterwards!

online dating better if you're a guy? What idiot told you that?!

Maybe if you enjoy getting 1 reply for every 150 messages sent. It's definitely far far better for girls, if you can get past the whole creepy message thing. Which imo sure beats zero messages.

He's right. At least in my experience when I used a dating site. I got tons of messages. Most of them were gross, creepy, or just plain stupid, though. & I never sent a guy a message, ever.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I am a transplant to the area I live in, so I really don't have many friends here. Most of them are single... How do I find meetup groups? I have never heard of this?

1) open web browser
    2) type in http://www.meetup.com
    3) press "enter"

;)
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I met my wife off a message board...
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Someone please let me know when you figure it out.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I met my husband at an adult sci-fi/fantasy convention, purely by accident. He made a conscious decision after his divorce that he would put himself in situations he'd previously not experienced, such as conventions, cuddle parties, meetups, etc. He met a lot of nice people that way, and he met me. :) I wish you the best of luck!

wtf is a "cuddle party" ?

I was just going to ask this! LOL
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

MkoST.gif

PxsUi.gif
  • DoingItForME724
    DoingItForME724 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Go to church....lot's of horny. Well you'll see:drinker:

smh....met my husband at a christian music concert...was pregnant 2 months later

proof*
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I like to watch a woman for a few months and start referring to her as my girlfriend before I approach her.

It worked on me. *swoon*

You beat me too it :grumble:

There's nothing better than the mystery boyfriend
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    lol I met my husband in an AOL chat room 12 years ago.. BOOM!

Just go out, start talking to people. Be yourself. You never know who you will stumble upon and where.
  • gem192
    gem192 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend 8 years ago at a gig. I agree with the suggestion of doing things you love, it means that anyone else there will at least share one interest with you!

Also, I'd try looking for a friend first then see if it develops. I find guys trying to obviously pick me up (no height jokes plz) (no weight jokes either ha!) really off-putting, even if I would have went out with them.

There isn't a formula for having a connection with someone, it generally just happens when the time is right and you aren't trying.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    lol I met my husband in an AOL chat room 12 years ago.. BOOM!

Just go out, start talking to people. Be yourself. You never know who you will stumble upon and where.

That's classic...I met my late bride in a Yahoo one. It would have been 12 years....

Here's the down low.....see woman...say hello
  • Stacyplus5
    Options
    I was set up on a blind date with my now husband, we have been together 14yrs with 5 boys. Couldnt be happier. My friend set us up she met him through her boyfriend.