Trying to figure out why carbohydrates are the "bad guys"

Options
Hi guys and gals,

just a quick(and somewhat, dumb question), but why should I cut down on carbohydrates(my recommendation says I should eat about 200 g or so a day max), when you should be focusing on calories? Or is there something I don't get?

Thanks

Replies

• GaryMiranda
    Options
    I think it is because they turn to sugar and are stored as fat
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates that are easily digestible (sugar, soda, potatoes) lead to spikes in blood sugar and thus your insulin levels. These are called 'high glycemic' foods.

When you get higher levels of insulin, it takes all the extra sugar in your blood and stores it in your cells as fat. It also halts the breakdown of fat so you keep your blood sugar low.

This has three effects.

Short term, it makes you hungry. Which is why I get really hungry an hour after eating white rice or pancakes.
    It also means you CAN'T burn fat and you DO store fat. Not what you want when you are trying to lose weight.

Long term, if you eat lots of carbs, it leads to insulin resistance and, ultimately, weight gain and diabetes.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about any macro nutrients except protein. As far as carbs, I just try to avoid the "white" ones (bread, rice, pasta, etc) as much as possible, but I don't obsess over it.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    That's cause they are NOT the bad guys. As long as your carb intake doesn't prevent you from eating enough proteins and fats, it's fine.
  • Flamenquero
    Options
    They aren't really the "bad guys." It's the calorie count that matters IMO, but do balance your carbs between protein and fats, and I tray and stay away from some of the white carbs as mentioned above.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i love carbs. nomnomnom.

MjAxMi1hMGQ2YzE1MTcyOGQ1Njli.png
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    Options
    Overly simplified, the way I understand it is that Carbs, Fats & Proteins all have calories. Fats and Proteins are essential (although people disagree as to how much of each you need) so most people cut calories by lowering their Carb intake.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    this^^^^
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    There's no reason why you need to cut them down unless you have a particular sensitivity to them. We all have different macro (fat, protein, carb) requirements based on our individual goals, and our genetics. Some get on well with low carb, but for the majority it's not necessary. The thing that matters most for weight loss is calorie intake and as long as your macro's are balanced (you're not eating carbs / fat in place of protein for example) then it's really just what suits you best.

No matter whether I'm losing or gaining I am never on less than 200g carbs a day. Low carb just doesn't work for me.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

this is unlikely
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hi guys and gals,

just a quick(and somewhat, dumb question), but why should I cut down on carbohydrates(my recommendation says I should eat about 200 g or so a day max), when you should be focusing on calories? Or is there something I don't get?

Thanks

You shouldn't. Carbs are good, not bad.

/end thread
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    They're not.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about any macro nutrients except protein. As far as carbs, I just try to avoid the "white" ones (bread, rice, pasta, etc) as much as possible, but I don't obsess over it.

Don't be a colorist! White carbs need love too. (And they are yummy!)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

....if you eat them beyond your TDEE (like ALL macronutrients). This is irrelevant in a calorie deficit. REALLY important caveat to this argument.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    *spoiler alert*

You have to wait for the plot twist. Carbohydrates have been working as a paid informant the entire time, the Police Chief is the one masterminding the assassination plot.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Strong first post.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    The main reason to limit your carbs is to ensure you get enough protein and fats. Other than that, medical conditions aside, there really is no reason assuming you stay within your calorie limit.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I don't watch carbs because they're carbs, I watch carbs because a lot of foods that are high carb are also low nutritional value and don't keep me feeling satiated for long. I don't pay any attention to fruits and veggie carbs but try to limit breads, pasta, rice, etc for empty carbs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I don't watch carbs because they're carbs, I watch carbs because a lot of foods that are high carb are also low nutritional value and don't keep me feeling satiated for long. I don't pay any attention to fruits and veggie carbs but try to limit breads, pasta, rice, etc for empty carbs.

I do not get why people say bread, pasta and rice are empty carbs...why is that?
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Oh, this again?

*quietly ducks out*