Trying to figure out why carbohydrates are the "bad guys"

Options

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I don't watch carbs because they're carbs, I watch carbs because a lot of foods that are high carb are also low nutritional value and don't keep me feeling satiated for long. I don't pay any attention to fruits and veggie carbs but try to limit breads, pasta, rice, etc for empty carbs.

I do not get why people say bread, pasta and rice are empty carbs...why is that?

My personal favorite is when white potatoes get placed in the same category as candy
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I don't watch carbs because they're carbs, I watch carbs because a lot of foods that are high carb are also low nutritional value and don't keep me feeling satiated for long. I don't pay any attention to fruits and veggie carbs but try to limit breads, pasta, rice, etc for empty carbs.

I do not get why people say bread, pasta and rice are empty carbs...why is that?

This threads needs someone to come in and 'splain how bread pasta and rice are simple carbohydrates, cause that's what Dr. Oz said.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Macaroni and penne are empty carbs. Unless you pour cheese all over them. Then they get filled up with cheese and are no longer empty.
  • sjohnny
    Options

This threads needs someone to come in and 'splain how bread pasta and rice are simple carbohydrates, cause that's what Dr. Oz said.

Pasta and rice are simple because you just boil them in water. How much simpler could it get? Bread is a lot more complex. There's the kneading and rising and all that stuff.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

This is empty calorie foods
    22604970.jpg
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options

My personal favorite is when white potatoes get placed in the same category as candy

^^^ ditto to all of this!
    IF you are eating whole wheat bread & pasta....there IS nutritional value in that. There IS nutritional value to potatoes! And guess what???? Bananas....they also have nutritional value too! Who would have thunk it?
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Your body sees carbs as sugar (all carbs, even the good ones but you DO need some from fruits and veggies, you do not however "need" grains, pasta, potatoes, rice, cerial, bread ). They are quickly broken down to be used for fuel, what isn't immediately used is stored as fat. Also carbs trigger insulin release, the worst the carb, the faster the release, the faster the drop in blood sugar which then sends a signal to your brain that you need more carbs - vicious cycle.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Yes, carbs are oh so evil. Vegetables and fruit make you fat, never mind those whole grains . . .

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060429014756/austinpowers/images/2/27/DrEvil.jpg

Oh and cats. Yes, cats are very evil.

http://cdn.pastemagazine.com/www/blogs/lists/Mr Bigglesworth.jpg
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Your body sees carbs as sugar (all carbs, even the good ones but you DO need some from fruits and veggies, you do not however "need" grains, pasta, potatoes, rice, cerial, bread ). They are quickly broken down to be used for fuel, what isn't immediately used is stored as fat. Also carbs trigger insulin release, the worst the carb, the faster the release, the faster the drop in blood sugar which then sends a signal to your brain that you need more carbs - vicious cycle.
    tumblr_ljca8uiZeQ1qz52aho1_400.jpg
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ljca8uiZeQ1qz52aho1_400.jpg

I nearly spit my drink out at this, and half the other posts here!

I suppose that's a good thing, it's juice, has CARBS! Oh noes! *runs and hides from the scary looking cycle*
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    HIV is complex.
    HIV is bad.
    Therefore complex is bad.
    Therefore complex carbs are bad.
    Therefore eat sugar or else you'll get HIV.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Cats are not evil! Yummmmm...insulin
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    The main reason I reduce carbs when i am trying to lose weight (and I still get 45-50 percent!) is that they don't make me feel as full as fats and protein, So 300 cals of carbs for breakfast and I'll be hungry in hour, but 300 cals of fats/protein will keep me going to lunch.....

win/win
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I don't have the science to back it up (though I'm sure you'll get plenty of that) but I'm more of an "everything in moderation" type of girl. And I'm part Irish...so carbs are genetically required. I eat plenty of carbs, dairy, all the controversial other things and I'm slightly under my goal weight. If I get stuck in changing my body through exercise, I might switch it up to see if low carb or something like that helps but I have no complaints with my progress without going low carb or even restricting carbs at all.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    The main reason I reduce carbs when i am trying to lose weight (and I still get 45-50 percent!) is that they don't make me feel as full as fats and protein, So 300 cals of carbs for breakfast and I'll be hungry in hour, but 300 cals of fats/protein will keep me going to lunch.....

win/win

300 cals of anything is just enough to piss me off.
  • yannuzzi
    Options
    Lean protein/veggies and fruit keep you fuller longer, are healthier for you and are not processed like most "WHITE" carbs. You get carbs from fruits and veggies too. I do occasionally eat "carbs" but they will be whole grain. Not white rice, not regular pasta. Everything everyone here said about blood sugar and carbs and fat are correct. Everything here that was said about eating carbs makes you want to eat more carbs is correct. If we all ate carbs like that before we started our lifestyle change that explains why we ended up here to begin with, doesn't it?

Carbs, in moderation, are not bad for you but to have a healthier "lifestyle" eat fruits and veggies and lean proteins. It will keep you full longer and is so much better for you and isn't PROCESSED and full of sodium.

It's just plain and simple logic.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Carbs are fuel for awesomeness. The body can only handle so much awesomeness so eat in moderation.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    they are not the bad guys.

Think of countries and cultures where people live the longest.

All eat carbs.
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    Because SOMEONE has to be the fall guy. In the 80's it was fat, not it's carbs. It'll be Protein in another 20 years, with science to support that and everything!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Because SOMEONE has to be the fall guy. In the 80's it was fat, not it's carbs. It'll be Protein in another 20 years, with pseudoscience to support that and everything!
    Fixed it for you.