Trying to figure out why carbohydrates are the "bad guys"

Options

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    If I had cut down on carbs 2 years ago, I probably wouldn't have diabetes. Now I have no choice.
  • kramalicious
    Options
    In addition to what everyone has already explained, I agree that you don't have to cut out carbs. But, when I have food "holidays" like Thanksgving when I eat more carbs than usual, I notice that it makes me WANT to eat more of them. (Tasty, junky carbs, not veggies). I don't have this problem wihen I eat lots of protein or fat.
    I am still laughing at the "vicious cycle" posted earlier. That gets the pic of the day award! It's a good picture to keep in mind when eating those sugary carbs!
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    most carbs in moderation are good for u..its what you put on it that you have to watch for. for example, bread ..what do you eat on it? butter? how much cheese or mayonnaise if its a sandwich? ..pasta the same..how much stuff are you putting on it ? pasta can be deceiving..what looks like a serving may actually be 3 or 4 so measuring is key
  • thecapaccino
    Options
    I think it is because they turn to sugar and are stored as fat

this is unlikely

It IS likely. You are thinking of food when it goes into your mouth....and NOT the biological process it goes through when digested. All carbs are turned to glucose in the body for digestion
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    If I had cut down on carbs 2 years ago, I probably wouldn't have diabetes. Now I have no choice.

carbs don't cause diabetes

over consumption of food can cause type 2 diabetes though
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

this is unlikely

It IS likely. You are thinking of food when it goes into your mouth....and NOT the biological process it goes through when digested. All carbs are turned to glucose in the body for digestion

The unlikely part was not carbs turning to sugar, lol, it's the stored as fat part, which is untrue in a calorie deficit. Of course starches are broken down to sugars, that is what digestion is. Protein is broken down to amino acids, too. Fats- fatty acids. None of these things are stored as fat in a calorie deficit.
  • vincentpatel0
    vincentpatel0 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    problem is people eat TOO MANY carbs. most people are good about watching their FAT intake due to the "evil fats" marketing that has existed for 20+ years. Moderation and quality(Getting your carbs from potato chips, vs a banana) are key.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    23625333.jpg
  • drmerc
    Options

this is unlikely

To induce substantial rates of carbohydrate conversion into fat, the body’s total glycogen stores must be considerably raised, from their usual 4-6 g/kg body wt to > 8-10 g/kg body wt. This requires deliberate and sustained ovenconsumption of large amounts of carbohydrates for 2-3 d

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/61/4/952S.full.pdf
  • drmerc
    Options

this is unlikely

The unlikely part was not carbs turning to sugar, lol, it's the stored as fat part, which is untrue in a calorie deficit. Of course starches are broken down to sugars, that is what digestion is. Protein is broken down to amino acids, too. Fats- fatty acids. None of these things are stored as fat in a calorie deficit.

even in a surplus I find it unlikely she'd store carbs as fat
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid it's a little more complicated than that. Carbs don't just turn into glucose and start running around wreaking havoc on your body. This explains it in more detail:

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/600glycolysis.html
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    .... If we all ate carbs like that before we started our lifestyle change that explains why we ended up here to begin with, doesn't it?
    I slept at night before I started my lifestyle change. Maybe I should stop sleeping at night and I won't be fat any more.
    It's just plain and simple logic.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not guys, therefore they are not bad.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not guys, therefore they are not bad.

True. Only guys are bad. Carbs are gender neutral.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

My personal favorite is when white potatoes get placed in the same category as candy

Wha? Wait a sec... you mean potatoes aren't... grr. *goes off to unwrap Christmas potatoes he'd bought for his nieces and nephews.* :mad:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't watch carbs because they're carbs, I watch carbs because a lot of foods that are high carb are also low nutritional value and don't keep me feeling satiated for long. I don't pay any attention to fruits and veggie carbs but try to limit breads, pasta, rice, etc for empty carbs.

I do not get why people say bread, pasta and rice are empty carbs...why is that?

My personal favorite is when white potatoes get placed in the same category as candy

Gotta love the ignorance...

When bored at work, find a "carbs are bad" thread on MFP! :laugh:
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Lean protein/veggies and fruit keep you fuller longer, are healthier for you and are not processed like most "WHITE" carbs. You get carbs from fruits and veggies too. I do occasionally eat "carbs" but they will be whole grain. Not white rice, not regular pasta. Everything everyone here said about blood sugar and carbs and fat are correct. Everything here that was said about eating carbs makes you want to eat more carbs is correct. If we all ate carbs like that before we started our lifestyle change that explains why we ended up here to begin with, doesn't it?

Carbs, in moderation, are not bad for you but to have a healthier "lifestyle" eat fruits and veggies and lean proteins. It will keep you full longer and is so much better for you and isn't PROCESSED and full of sodium.

It's just plain and simple logic.

Even more logical is to base decisions on content rather than colors.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

this is unlikely

Which is good because glucose is necessary for brain function.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    One of the main thing I think badly about carbs is that eating to many carbs can make you bloated and give you a soft look.. Eat in moderation.