Obese flier turned away from airlines; dies overseas

Options

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I guess I should just delete my account and die since I am over 400 lbs, thanks for all the encouragement

Only one person is being a **** about her weight. Someone with severe health problems should not fly overseas regardless of weight. Also, she needed a lot of special accommodations. Only certain airports even in the U.S. are going to be equipped to handle.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I guess I should just delete my account and die since I am over 400 lbs, thanks for all the encouragement

Please don't let any rude comments from random internet people deter you from bettering yourself!!!! You can do it! Please love yourself enough to do this not matter what anyone else says or thinks....this is your life! I am here to support you!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

YOU are here. You have obviously made a choice to get healthy. That woman wasn't.

Nobody hates obese people here. Speaking for myself, I just think it's sad that the woman's family is trying to sue a company because their family member didn't care enough about her own health to take care of herself.
  • Tigermomma66
    Tigermomma66 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My only issue with this is - KLM didn't have a problem taking her money and flying her THERE. Why do they suddenly have a problem flying her HOME? It seems this is where the company might be liable - they were not consistent in implementing policy. While it seems reasonable to leave this up to individual pilots, as a company it is frightening to think you could get "stuck" because two people interpret something differently.

I agree that there are many things to take into consideration. The fact she is diabetic is probably why she is an amputee - known fact that diabetes impacts circulation to extremities. She was extremely large - but I think one showing of Biggest Loser on TV shows that many people in America are this size or even larger. Take a look at some of the footage from their casting calls - it's not like the ones on TV are just the few largest ones that showed up. It's horrible.

I am a "woman of size" - not that size fortunately - I choose not to fly. Again, I am fortunate to live near family so flying is not a necessity in my case. I don't want to be embarrassed or an inconvenience.

I do think some of the comments here could be a bit more tactful and helpful - this IS a site for weight loss and we should be supportive of each person on this site. Some people here are probably that size or have been - I commend them for making the changes if they are putting it into action. And I won't diminish their efforts by making fun of a size they may have been - or might currently be. Imagine if you were 425 on here after losing 100 pounds - would you really want to read some of these comments? It's possible to be kind and realistic at the same time.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Theres lots of support here. I think you stumbled upon some bad apples. Everyplace has them.

I personally do not agree with them blaming the airline since obviously this was the persons own negligence that ended up being fatal but I would personally hate to see you turn away from attempting to get into better health, no matter if 40, 400 or 800 lbs overweight.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Only one person is being a **** about her weight. Someone with severe health problems should not fly overseas regardless of weight. Also, she needed a lot of special accommodations. Only certain airports even in the U.S. are going to be equipped to handle.

This.

I really don't feel that commenting that the airline is not responsible for her death is an attack on any individual for being that size. They tried to accomodate her, and as others have said, if her health was that poor, then she had no business flying in the first place.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    She caused her own death, not the airline.

^This..

400 pounds over weight fat piece of c***?

Sure, she never realised she was sick, and that her weight is an issue... sure... fat is sexy, until you die... accept fatness etc, until you die from it then blame other stuff...

Sure, it is a sad story, but if you NEED to buy 2 seats because your so fat, then sweetheart, you got a major major problem...

How is it even possible to BE THAT BIG! Are sumo wrestlers even that big? My god O_O

This whole fat piece of ... that is completely UNCALLED for. I mean really? I am super sure your mother is proud of the individual she raised (oozing sarcasm here if you do not get it)

It is sad pathetic statements like yours that make me sad for the human race.

As for the woman, I am sorry she passed, but I think with her health issues she should not have been flying. She took that chance.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    What in the hell is wrong with you people? I know I would never say anything like that about another person let alone in a community that is supposed to help people with that very same problem. Were you all gorgeous and skinny when you started on here? I doubt it.

She wasn't DOING ANYTHING to get healthy. Her family is now blaming an innocent company for HER health problems that led to her death. People in this community ARE here to get healthy. What don't some of you get about that?
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It's hard to know from this article what the actual circumstances were, so I feel like I can't make any judgements. How sick was she? Could she have been taken to a hospital? Why was the airline able to get her there and not back? At any rate, it's a very sad story.

I do believe safety is of utmost importance. Anyone who isn't properly fastened in is not only risking their own lives but the lives of other passengers. I've heard that even a tissue box in car can fly up and have the impact of a brick in a car crash. Maybe airlines need to give themselves a little leeway and reject people that are nearing the point of being unable to fly so that there are not complications on the return trip.
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Not the airline's fault, but some of you guys are complete d*cks considering you probably were fat *kitten* too at one point.

I used to be anorexic if that makes you feel better about yourself?

Then overweight, now almost normal again... I was severely underweight for most my life.. I can't imagine anyone being 400 pounds, I doubt I have even met someone as big as that EVER, maybe close to 300 and they were HUGE! I'm only 5ft.. Those sizes would likely kill my soul before I could even get that big.. it just seems impossible to not notice to me...

I don't know about you, but I rather say it like it is, than have this pretend stuff about actually caring when

1) I don't know them so it is impossible for me to be emotionally attached to them.

2) They let themselves get into trouble by being that big, must I feel sorry for them? REALLY?

Eating disorders go both ways, you know.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Ok guys, sorry about those messages....

I am kind of disturbed and it was uncalled for. Am removing them rather...

I mean sheesh, didn't mean to cause such a commotion... really :/
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

YOU are here. You have obviously made a choice to get healthy. That woman wasn't.

Nobody hates obese people here. Speaking for myself, I just think it's sad that the woman's family is trying to sue a company because their family member didn't care enough about her own health to take care of herself.
    ^Bingo.

It was her fault she died. Bottom line. This statement in no way implies that I do not like or respect obese people. If someone chooses to live their life obese, I have absolutely no problem with that. It has no bearing on how I choose to live my life. However, if that person passes away due to a weight related health problem, and their family then tries to blame someone else for their death, that's just irresponsible.

No one (well, one person is, but let's just ignore him) is saying that obese people just need to curl up and die.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    It's hard to know from this article what the actual circumstances were, so I feel like I can't make any judgements. How sick was she? Could she have been taken to a hospital? Why was the airline able to get her there and not back? At any rate, it's a very sad story.

I do believe safety is of utmost importance. Anyone who isn't properly fastened in is not only risking their own lives but the lives of other passengers. I've heard that even a tissue box in car can fly up and have the impact of a brick in a car crash. Maybe airlines need to give themselves a little leeway and reject people that are nearing the point of being unable to fly so that there are not complications on the return trip.

She was there for a month; she probably gained more weight on her vacation.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    She caused her own death, not the airline.

^This..

400 pounds over weight fat piece of c***?

Sure, she never realised she was sick, and that her weight is an issue... sure... fat is sexy, until you die... accept fatness etc, until you die from it then blame other stuff...

Sure, it is a sad story, but if you NEED to buy 2 seats because your so fat, then sweetheart, you got a major major problem...

How is it even possible to BE THAT BIG! Are sumo wrestlers even that big? My god O_O

God why are you even on a site like this if you are a fat basher! People like you make me feel sick. Until you step into a persons shoes that is 400lbs or 300lbs etc and see what their day is like then please keep you idiot opinions to yourself!
    There are many people on here including myself who are very much overweight and we are trying to change our lives for the better but going by you we should just close our account and die?? I really think you need to look in the mirror love because if you are showing that much hatred to someone who is overweight you must be an awful person in real life. Thank god I ain't friends with you, I would rather be friends with the devil
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    How is it insensitive to say that a sick person should have gone to a doctor instead of trying to get on an overseas flight?

• downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Not the airline's fault, but some of you guys are complete d*cks considering you probably were fat *kitten* too at one point.

I used to be anorexic if that makes you feel better about yourself?

Then overweight, now almost normal again... I was severely underweight for most my life.. I can't imagine anyone being 400 pounds, I doubt I have even met someone as big as that EVER, maybe close to 300 and they were HUGE! I'm only 5ft.. Those sizes would likely kill my soul before I could even get that big.. it just seems impossible to not notice to me...

I don't know about you, but I rather say it like it is, than have this pretend stuff about actually caring when

1) I don't know them so it is impossible for me to be emotionally attached to them.

2) They let themselves get into trouble by being that big, must I feel sorry for them? REALLY?

(first off, not the airline's fault.She shouldn't have been travelling in her state no matter what the weight was.)

But, hi. My name is Hoss. I just dipped under 400 pounds. I used to be over 500.

It does kill your soul. No sympathy needed though.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with most of you.
    They shouldn't let her fly to Europe. Once they did, they should have been prepared to fly her back.
    I can't imagine the situation when I go on a trip and I am are denied to come back home for any reason.

Yes its her fault she was fat, yes she was in her home town so probably could speak the language and schedule doctors appointment, but the airline should know that in Europe it will be much more difficult to get her in the plane as we don't have all the fancy cars and lifts for obese people...
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

but the point is that none of us KNOW that. for all we know, she'd just LOST 100lbs to be ABLE to make that flight. it's knee-jerk judgement to say otherwise.

and also, you've just described half of the wrongful death suits out there.
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    insensitive appendages

I think that just turned into an oxymoron. :laugh:

:wink:
  • Kathy_TheVampireSlayer
    Options
    if they flew her one way, then they should have flew her back.
This discussion has been closed.