Have YOU lost 30lbs?

Options

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Remember, the more gradual the loss, the easier it is to keep it off. Losing body fat is a trial of patience. And as yoovie said, the loose skin thing isn't as big of an issue.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Yep...I'm in the obese category (maybe morbidly, who knows) and my first 30 took about a year....I've done 15 the last 10 months...and now I'm finally starting to get on the right path. Slow and steady wins the race...for real.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Yep - lost a total of 31 so far. getting to 24 lbs down was fast (2.5 months) - the last few were harder and longer to get off (4 months). I have a few more to go to hit goal was and these last 10 lbs are being elusive! I also switched my goal and focus on inches lost - I'm gaining muscle.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    It took me a year to lose 30. It's been six months since I met my goal and it's stayed off. In the past, the more overweight I was, the faster I lost. I think when you don't have that much to lose, it goes slower...
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It took me nearly 8 months exactly to lose 30 pounds. I had a goal of losing 50 pounds (starting weight was 177), and I've been aiming to go at pretty much 1 pound a week. From my dieting history, I know I could lose quicker, but slow and steady wins the race - I'm still losing and this has been a true lifestyle change for me, and not a diet. Don't feel like you have to race to take it off. If you keep at it, it will work.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have lost 45 pounds. It has taken me just about 2 years. I average a half a pound a week!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Nope...not 30....80 - In 8 months...with a little more over the past few as I have been lackadaisical.

When you're overly obese it comes off quickly....look at the % of weight loss overall. Also, confirm your overall commitment.
  • pickledplatypus
    Options
    Remember, the more gradual the loss, the easier it is to keep it off. Losing body fat is a trial of patience. And as yoovie said, the loose skin thing isn't as big of an issue.

Yes, I absolutely agree with this. I work at a gym and this is what we tell our clients. Sure, everyone wants to the weight to just drop off - but often when that happens, you are likely to put it right back on again (and then some). The slower you are able to lose weight, the more likely you are to KEEP it off. And that is what you really want. Losing weight is great, but KEEPING it off is infinitely more important.

I've lost 45+ pounds so far. I am taking my time and making sure the pounds STAY off.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    It's taken me about 8 months to lose 30ish pounds. Slow but steady!
  • thisisiamj
    thisisiamj Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I took me a little under 4 months to lose 30, which is where I'm at right now. I'm stalled for a week now... not sure if its TOM or plateau... I guess we shall see. I only have about 16 lbs till I hit a normal BMI so I expect it to go much slower from this point forward, which is what I expect. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Some of the responses have been males. While it's helpful to get that perspective, remember there is a world of difference between male and female weight loss. So don't expect the same results or processes.

BTW The Mayo clinic says 1-2 pounds per week (or 1% of your body weight) is recommended.

♡ Serena
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    have u lost 30lbs? if so how long did it take you? i started at 168 and have lost 9lbs to date in 2months 1 week. I feel like it should speen up a bit....what r ur thoughts?

I did... I started in January. It's taken me longer because I fell off the bandwagon for about 4 months after losing my sister. Congrats on dropping 9 lbs! Just keep at it, and it will come off. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I've lost more than twice that in a little over three months.
  • auroranflash
    Options

Yes, I absolutely agree with this. I work at a gym and this is what we tell our clients. Sure, everyone wants to the weight to just drop off - but often when that happens, you are likely to put it right back on again (and then some). The slower you are able to lose weight, the more likely you are to KEEP it off. And that is what you really want. Losing weight is great, but KEEPING it off is infinitely more important.

I've lost 45+ pounds so far. I am taking my time and making sure the pounds STAY off.

... and doing it gradually will save you a lot of hair. Why?

-Crash diets are often very low calorie and lack the right balance of nutrients, which can lead to hair loss

and

-Yo-yo dieting will make you rip out your hair. :drinker:
  • auroranflash
    Options
    have u lost 30lbs? if so how long did it take you? i started at 168 and have lost 9lbs to date in 2months 1 week. I feel like it should speen up a bit....what r ur thoughts?

I did... I started in January. It's taken me longer because I fell off the bandwagon for about 4 months after losing my sister. Congrats on dropping 9 lbs! Just keep at it, and it will come off. Slow and steady wins the race!

So sorry for your loss. Best of luck.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I've lost 39 since August! :)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    yes, it took me a year.

then I lost thirty over the next year.

Then 30 over the next two years.

now ask me how much loose skin I have.

no really ask me!

Hey, Yoovie. How much loose skin do you have?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Lost ≈135 total. First 20thing lbs or so practically fell right off when I cut out processed foods and all grains became whole grains.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP at 165 on Oct 15, 2011 and got to my goal of 135 on May 17, 2012, so 7 months. Took me 2 months to lose the first 10 pounds, then 2 months to lose the next 10, and then about 3 months to lose the last 10. When I went on maintenance, I lost another 5 pounds over the course of a few months. Now I am always 128-131.

I'd say you are losing a a decent pace. Better not to drop it too fast. Looking through your diary, though, you really could eat a lot better. I would change your macros to more protein and less carbs - carbs are not evil or anything, but I think more protein would give you better results. 1200 might be a little low, too. I started at 1200, but after 2 months or so, upped it to 1440, then over 1600 on maintenance (when I lost another 5 before stabilizing). I always ate back all of my exercise calories too. I was also pretty precise in weighing/measuring food.

Also, don't compare yourself to men's weight loss or to people that are much more overweight. They will drop weight a lot faster at the beginning.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Yes. Got from 170 to 140 in about 6 months, but getting from 130 to 125 has taken me 3 months and counting. Ugh. Just go at your own pace; everybody's going to be different. The important part is being healthy and going in the right direction. :)