Have YOU lost 30lbs?

Options

Replies

• purpleroadrunner
    purpleroadrunner Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs in about 3 1/2 months, but I changed everything I did how I ate, I exercised like a mad man I busted *kitten*, actually I went from 291 down to 217 this morning and that has been since end of may this year
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I've lost 29... the first 15 took two months, the second 14 has taken me 13 months. Still 10-15 to go, it will probably take me two years to lose that.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Remember, the more gradual the loss, the easier it is to keep it off. Losing body fat is a trial of patience. And as yoovie said, the loose skin thing isn't as big of an issue.

Yes, I absolutely agree with this. I work at a gym and this is what we tell our clients. Sure, everyone wants to the weight to just drop off - but often when that happens, you are likely to put it right back on again (and then some). The slower you are able to lose weight, the more likely you are to KEEP it off. And that is what you really want. Losing weight is great, but KEEPING it off is infinitely more important.

I've lost 45+ pounds so far. I am taking my time and making sure the pounds STAY off.

Im very proud that it has taken me 4 years to lose 100 pounds.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    yes, it took me a year.

then I lost thirty over the next year.

Then 30 over the next two years.

now ask me how much loose skin I have.

no really ask me!

Hey, Yoovie. How much loose skin do you have?

jusssa weeeeeeeeeeeeeeedle bit on my tum! *pokes* :bigsmile:
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    yep...my first thirty pounds came quick, 20lbs in the first month and then 15lbs in the second, but i also started at 315lbs so that first huge loss was to be expected...

take your time, its a not a race...whether it takes you a month or 6 months, healthy habits are for life so you will lose it eventually...

^^^^ This was me as well! But Since I have lost 57lbs now, I have slowed down to only 2 to 4 pounds a month!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I lost 36 lbs in 8 months. I still managed to lose over 5 lbs of lean body mass even going that slowly.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Some of the responses have been males.

tumblr_mdsa431Qdi1r5c792o1_r2_400.gif
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    It took me 8 months.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Haha nice :)
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I'm still working on it. Started at 150, at 126, shooting for 120. The first 10 came off easy, the rest is very slow going - like, 2 years kind of slow going. Which I don't mind a bit, because I still get to eat fairly normally. If you don't have a ton to lose, just have the patience to slowly change your lifestyle rather than rush through your diet.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    It took me 3-4 months to lose about 25lbs.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    have u lost 30lbs? if so how long did it take you? i started at 168 and have lost 9lbs to date in 2months 1 week. I feel like it should speen up a bit....what r ur thoughts?

I started out with like 80-90 pounds to lose. It took me 3 months to lose 7 pounds ( about 3% of my start weight). I tweaked a few things, and lost another 23 pounds (like 10% of my starting weight). In September my weight loss pretty much stalled :( I started lifting, and I think maybe it is messing with my losses on the scale....
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It took me about 18 months to lose 30lbs. I was 161 when I started, lost the first 15 super quick with just diet. Then I hit a pretty big plateau for about 4 months. The last 15 came off slowly, but in the process, I gained some muscle and really got a good grasp on not just dieting, but eating healthy as a lifestyle change. Now, I am at 126 and truly happy with my weight
  • Kismet_35
    Kismet_35 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have lost 27 lbs in 6 months and I am quite happy with my progress. I have about 35 more lbs to go but if it takes me a year so be it. Remember, slow and steady wins the race. Don't let anyone tell you that you should be doing it faster, this is your path. I say keep doing what you are doing and know that the small changes you are making will last a lifetime. Good luck and keep it up!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost 30. Yet. But I lost 20 and it took me 5 months. I did it slowly on purpose, losing 1 pound a week (although there were a few weeks--not many though--where I didn't lose anything). My goal is to lose 25 in six months.
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You may not be too interested in my reply, since I've only been doing MFP for 2 weeks.... but I have a net loss of 3 pounds (gained 0.5 pound Thanksgiving week). I've always done diets where the first week or two you lose more weight than I have, but those were fad diets, so It's a little unsettling that I only have lost 3 pounds. It's good though, all in all, as most people have said, slow and steady is the key.

Good luck to you. :smile:

Edit: Sorry, I didn't read the post heading too well about "30lbs" ! Oh well, no damage done, I don't think.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I've lost 46 and it's taken about 10 months. So, I guess I'm losing about a pound a week - slow and steady wins the race.
  • kennodogs
    kennodogs Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started at 188 in May and hit my target of 158 in Oct. Have been in maintenance since. Log everything, stick to your macros.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you for losing the 9 pounds. Great job losing a pound a week (assuming you have not lost lean muscle during that timeframe). Keep up the hard work and look for ways to continue to improve and challenge yourself to become an even better version of yourself. Don't get frustrated and give up, get even more determined.

For me, it is important to realize that the scale only tells a portion of the story and sometimes it can be a very teasing, misleading part of the story. I'm not saying that is or is not the case for you, only that, sometimes, the scale is not very representative of what is happening to your body. I am being careful in judging my success or failure over time in reaching my goals and am paying special attention to ensure I do not rely too much on the scale by itself.

I'll try to give you an example from my own experience. In three months, I lost about 6 inches off my waist and 30 pounds. In the next few weeks I only lost 3 pounds but lost another inch off my waist. If I only had based my success on those three weeks on the scale, I would have been frustrated but instead I took time to notice that my waist was down another inch, my tricep definition was definitely more noticeable, that all of my weight levels in my lifting continued to increase, that my resistance and duration of cardio was increasing as were my calories burned, that the hikes with my dog were getting a faster pace and have me substantially less winded, etc. All of these things show evidence and progress of a healthier me, a better version of me.

The other thing I have noticed is that I no longer try to compare myself to others. I compare myself to the older versions of myself, focusing on how I have improved and the areas in which I need to improve. My journey is my own. I am trying to make sure I experience it, embrace it, live it to its fullest and enjoy it every step of the way, even the missteps I make.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    The first 30 pounds came off quickly (in 14 1/2 weeks), the next 37 came off slower. I am currently set to lose 1/2 pound a week, since I am within ten pounds of my goal. The more you have to lose, the faster it can come off. But I will tell you this - yoovie had it right. I have more loose skin than I would like. The belly stretch from two pregnancies I can't do that much about, but the rest...it may have been a better idea to lose weight a bit slower. Ah well.

ETA: BTW, CONGRATULATIONS on your 9 pound loss, that is AWESOME!! :)